PDA

View Full Version : gps choice - Oregon?

normanrd
12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone, I am not sure if this is the right forum, but thought that us hunters are likely the ones who will be going to remote places where others don't, and we generally test our gear to the limit moreso than the average guy or gal.

I am wondering if anyone has been using a Garmin Oregon over the last little while, and if you are what you think about it. I am interested in how the thing works in remote areas and under heavy canopy, as far as reception goes. I am also interested in how the touch screen works for you.

I am also thinking about the garmin 62s, but like the idea of a bigger screen on the Oregon. As far as I can tell, they seem to be on par with each other, but I am iterested in some "real world experience".

Thanks,

Norm

nimrod
12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
get one with the external antenna, like the 62 model, will get better reception in cover.

Douglas N
12-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I use my Oregon 550 hunting, trapping, fishing, and geocaching in all conditions. It works really well. I do not have any complaints.

Pixel Shooter
12-27-2012, 07:16 PM
sold my Oregon and moved to a portable Nuvi 3790 with bluetooth. way bigger screen, does everything my Oregon did, plus more functional for every day driving. For hunting and fishing, Oiltraxx and backroads SD cards work perfectly, great with waypoints etc........ just a thought

bmx_cruiser
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
My 62s is unbeatable. Its relatively small and very rugged. I haven't had any problems getting a signal or navigating with it. Battery life is excellant. One of the features I like about the 62 series is the ability to set up profiles for different activities. You can set up the profiles to display different mapsets, trip fields, screen colors etc for different activities.
Check out the Garmin forums for some good information on whichever GPS you decide on. Having never owned an Oregon, I can't speak to the features of the unit.
They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It comes down to personal choice and budget. Both the 62 series and the Oregon series are marked down this week at the 'internet store' in Calgary (not sure I should mention the name on AO)

icefisher11
12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Love my oregon 450. Would never get rid of it. One of the best GPS's i've ever used.. But i also have a rino 650 and have been using that a lot lately Cant beat either of them if you ask me. Only downfall to the rino is the Size. It is a bit bulky but for what we use them for its awesome.

normanrd
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the input guys, this is a really tough decision! I know the 62 will do what I need it to, but at the same time I like the other features of the Oregon. I did think about the much larger montana too, but I have a truck gps already, and want to remain somewhat compact. Maybe I should just order both from that "un-named gps store" and return the one that loses out.:)