PDA

View Full Version : fallis point at wabamun "Warning"

Sponge Bob Fish Pants
12-27-2012, 06:28 PM
hey all was out at wab today out in front of the private cabins on the north side pretty good ice 16" thick but no fish activity so we decided to goto fallis point got on the ice from the camp road stopped to chat with a couple guys in a tent not far off the point they said ice was around 12 " there. so we proceeded to the point as not to crowd there spot and just befor the point i swear we were through and usin the running boards on my pathfinder as pontoons we had the windows open so we could hear any crackin sounds and we hear slush and could see water flying off the tiresi was able to drive around the point and get off the ice on and on to the road but the whole ride there was pretty white knuckled and to the pin i know its not great to be going that fast but i feared that if i slowed or stopped i would end up getting stuck or possibly digging a trench and make the situation worse . all ended well and some clean shorts later we were back to the thick ice where we stared but i just wanted to warn people of how soft the ice is by fallis point

ice
12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
At least others can now see that there is floodwater by your tracks, :p

Glad your okay, be careful out there guys, still early in the year

EZM
12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
There are definitely some thermal (warmer) currents around Fallis. My electronics pick this up when open water fishing - be careful out there.

AppleJax
12-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Sounds like flood ice to me. Pretty normal, but unnerving. Hit flood ice at Lac La Nonne last weekend on my skidoo, about 8 inches of water over 12 inches of ice.

thorne
12-27-2012, 09:29 PM
hey all was out at wab today out in front of the private cabins on the north side pretty good ice 16" thick but no fish activity so we decided to goto fallis point got on the ice from the camp road stopped to chat with a couple guys in a tent not far off the point they said ice was around 12 " there. so we proceeded to the point as not to crowd there spot and just befor the point i swear we were through and usin the running boards on my pathfinder as pontoons we had the windows open so we could hear any crackin sounds and we hear slush and could see water flying off the tiresi was able to drive around the point and get off the ice on and on to the road but the whole ride there was pretty white knuckled and to the pin i know its not great to be going that fast but i feared that if i slowed or stopped i would end up getting stuck or possibly digging a trench and make the situation worse . all ended well and some clean shorts later we were back to the thick ice where we stared but i just wanted to warn people of how soft the ice is by fallis point

That was actually me you chatted with in the tent, was wondering where you took off to! Interestingly enough, I was out there last Friday and there was no flood water anywhere, just nice powder and clear blue ice. Today there were a few inches of flood water, so something is shifting, we heard a few good grumbling as well from the ice. Not the normal freezing cracks, but dull constant crackling. Made me think hard about moving my truck to shore! Anyway glad you made out ok, the water temperature was +1C at 12 feet down and -22c outside, so i doubt anything was melting, but interesting none the less. BTW final count was around 5 perch, 10 or so pike, and 1 white.

Sponge Bob Fish Pants
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
nice thanks for sharing the final fish count yeah we didn't stick around was a little rattled lol just went back to our original spot only had two hits my buddy saw it said looked like around a 30" pike good to meet you guys :)