PDA

View Full Version : Campfire on the ice?

AdverseCity
12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
We have a metal fire pit on a stand that we've brought to Chestermere lake before, makes the day ice fishing much more enjoyable. My brother-in-law has been doing it since he was a kid and no one's ever objected. We're going to Chain lake on saturday and it got me thinking about if it's legal or not, because you can't have a personal fire in the campground.

Does anyone know if you can have a contained fire (no ashes going into the water) on the ice at Chain lake, or where I can find out?

Piker
12-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I am pretty sure that if youleave no residue on the ice you are okay. Piker

randster
12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
We have a metal fire pit on a stand that we've brought to Chestermere lake before, makes the day ice fishing much more enjoyable. My brother-in-law has been doing it since he was a kid and no one's ever objected. We're going to Chain lake on saturday and it got me thinking about if it's legal or not, because you can't have a personal fire in the campground.

Does anyone know if you can have a contained fire (no ashes going into the water) on the ice at Chain lake, or where I can find out?

Not sure about the law but found this thead. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154383&highlight=fire

AdverseCity
12-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Not sure about the law but found this thead. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154383&highlight=fire

I missed that thread, some good info and opinions but I'm mostly curious about Chain Lake. From what I've heard the land owners in the area only let them have a campground if they didn't allow any personal fires, just a few main fire pits. I don't see any reason that would affect us out on the ice but wanted to check into it.

archercurt
12-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Having a fire on the ice is a nice way to spend the day with the family. A pit in my opinion is a great idea, but I must ask.. What do you plan to do with the ashes? I really doubt anyone will object to having a fire to roast some hot dogs, but I do object when I find someone's ash pile burried under the snow, with the bran new blades I just put on my auger. Aside from that I have yet to hear of a law that states it's illegal to have a fire, a call to f&w may clarify it for you.
Good luck on the ice, and happy new year.

davebuck
12-27-2012, 10:47 PM
As long as you have it of the ice . I have an old washing machine tub on a sleigh when i move i take it with me

bsmitty27
12-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Best way to make ice fishing fun for little ones is a fire. Bring a shovel and skates. Not the most searious fishing day. But the kids will want to one back.
Brad

nekred
12-28-2012, 08:57 AM
My gawd....people now worried about ashes on the ice.... What about the ash falling into lakes from forest fires...

Charcoal actually cleans the water!....

JohnnyD
12-28-2012, 08:59 AM
I fire on the ice sounds like a nice day to spend a day. Last year some guys had a fire on the ice. They were really considerate and left unburned wood on the ice, remainds of burned lumber, and a bunch of trash from there day out. Really considerate of others!!

pechetr
12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
The land owners opinion is irrelevant on the water. All water bodies and shorelines in Alberta are "crown" land and regulated under the Water Act. Any form of alteration or disruption of the fish habitat or shoreline is prohibited.As long as you clean up your mess and don't allow any pollutants into the water, you are fine. And for those of you who may not know....Any foreign substance not naturally found in the water body or introduced by man is considered pollution. Even charcoal. If mother nature deposits it there by way of a forest fire, it is not.

dragon
12-28-2012, 11:31 AM
My gawd....people now worried about ashes on the ice.... What about the ash falling into lakes from forest fires...

Charcoal actually cleans the water!....

Charcoal and ash are two different things.

Monster Pike Man
12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I was always told a fire right on the ice was illegal, but having a portable fire pit was legal. I wish someone would look into this and find out.

Gilligan
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
we used to have fires on the ice all the time. We always cleaned it up
and left little evidence we were there.

I'm sure you would have a chance to get forgivness than permission.

I'll bet a buck you wont get nailed .

and one more thing...... I wouldnt use the metal ring .... it will
get hot.... melt into the ice ,..... and it will be there till spring.

enjoy your fire.....

pikergolf
12-28-2012, 01:12 PM
All water bodies and shorelines in Alberta are "crown" land and regulated under the Water Act.

This statement is incorrect, it should read All Natural Water bodies and shorelines in Alberta are "crown" land and regulated under the water act. Reservoirs and irrigation ditches are not a part of this regulation.

Monster Pike Man
12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
we used to have fires on the ice all the time. We always cleaned it up
and left little evidence we were there.

I'm sure you would have a chance to get forgivness than permission.

I'll bet a buck you wont get nailed .

and one more thing...... I wouldnt use the metal ring .... it will
get hot.... melt into the ice ,..... and it will be there till spring.

enjoy your fire.....

I was talking about the portable pits with legs on them. The ones that stand up anywhere from 1-4 feet off the ground.

pechetr
12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
You are correct Pikergolf, however man made dugouts can be included under the act provided they are of a larger nature. I am not sure as to what the maximum size requirement is to be exempt.

Klondike
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Found the remains of a fire on the ice today left behind by a group. Embers were still red hot. But hey, they marked it with the branch of a tree stick in the snow so I guess that makes it ok. :angry3:

AdverseCity
12-29-2012, 10:18 PM
We didn't bother with a fire today, no room in the truck to bring wood. I did see at least 5 campfire remains on the ice and picked up a grocery bag worth of garbage including baited hooks. As a guy with a dog, I think that's one of the most careless and ignorant things a fisherman can do. If I saw someone leaving baited hooks behind I'd ensure they found their way back to their truck seat.

Moosetalker
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
We always use BBQ briquets easier to haul out than wood.

muskokagould
12-29-2012, 10:37 PM
we always had fires, but always cleaned up after ourselves. i don't see any problem.

but a buddy of mine hit a half burnt pile covered in snow on his sled and nearly lost a ski. the bolthole for his trail arm to chassis tore a good 3/4". pretty s***ty deal.

only reason COs say anything is cause a few ruin it for others.

just like having a few beers while fishing no biggie but, people leaving empties and blasting around the lake p***ed up, made it difficult for those who just wanna enjoy a cold pint while fishing.

pikergolf
12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
You are correct Pikergolf, however man made dugouts can be included under the act provided they are of a larger nature. I am not sure as to what the maximum size requirement is to be exempt.

Not true, the act only applies to natural waterways. Lake Newell at 66 square kilometers does not fall under that regulation.