PDA

View Full Version : question about baiting for wolves..

LacLaBicheNS
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm going to be putting some bait on a big slough that has lots of wolf tracks around. The slough is about 4-10 miles from the road depending on which direction I'm going to come in on.

I'm going to bring my bait in on snowmobile/calving sled in the late afternoon and return the following day to sit at it.

My question is, can I sled in part ways to my bait without scarring off any wolves on the bait or stopping wolves from coming to the bait (smell from the snowmobile)? I was thinking of sledding in and walking the last 1.5 miles.

If I can sled in part way, I should park the sled down wind of the bait right?

danger7
12-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Try dragging some of your bait behind your sled on the way to the site like a moose or deer hide. The track you leave will a lot of the time be the highway they will use in the future to visit the site especially if the snow is deep.

LacLaBicheNS
12-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Try dragging some of your bait behind your sled on the way to the site like a moose or deer hide. The track you leave will a lot of the time be the highway they will use in the future to visit the site especially if the snow is deep.

Snow is a little more than a foot.

So instead of using the calving sled, just drag the carcass to the slough? Makes sense I guess.. chumming the waters.. If I knew what trails the wolves use to get to the slough, should I drag it down these trails?

I'm on a list for my local f and w to call me to pick up their next road kill.. Hoping for a moose calf

KegRiver
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
It should work, but returning the next day may not be the best idea.

I've never baited Wolves for hunting but from trapping I found that very often, Wolves will not touch anything with fresh human scent on it.

I found that it took a few days to a week or more before they would touch it.

But that's up here. If they are used to human scent on carcasses, say they've been scavenging a farmers dead cow dump, or at a community refuse site, they might come in on the first day.

And if that were the case, you could probably drive/skidoo to within a half a mile without spooking them too much.

I would think that habituated Wolves, even if scared off the bait, would return in an hour or maybe even a few minutes.

I have seen Wolves up here feed on road kill with traffic roaring by.

One time Wolves pulled down a Moose on our logging road, back when I hauled logs. One driver after another pulled that Moose, a half eaten calf actually, off the road. When the next truck arrived, the kill would be back in the middle of the road and more of it eaten. The trucks were running about 30 minutes apart.

No doubt the fact that the Wolves had killed that Moose themselves and had consumed a fair bit of it before the first truck came along, played a role.
And the fact that it was right fresh also played a role I am sure.

But still, it suggests to me that you might well get away with more disturbance then one would expect. If the conditions are right.

LacLaBicheNS
12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
It should work, but returning the next day may not be the best idea.

I've never baited Wolves for hunting but from trapping I found that very often, Wolves will not touch anything with fresh human scent on it.

I found that it took a few days to a week or more before they would touch it.

But that's up here. If they are used to human scent on carcasses, say they've been scavenging a farmers dead cow dump, or at a community refuse site, they might come in on the first day.

And if that were the case, you could probably drive/skidoo to within a half a mile without spooking them too much.

I would think that habituated Wolves, even if scared off the bait, would return in an hour or maybe even a few minutes.

I have seen Wolves up here feed on road kill with traffic roaring by.

One time Wolves pulled down a Moose on our logging road, back when I hauled logs. One driver after another pulled that Moose, a half eaten calf actually, off the road. When the next truck arrived, the kill would be back in the middle of the road and more of it eaten. The trucks were running about 30 minutes apart.

No doubt the fact that the Wolves had killed that Moose themselves and had consumed a fair bit of it before the first truck came along, played a role.
And the fact that it was right fresh also played a role I am sure.

But still, it suggests to me that you might well get away with more disturbance then one would expect. If the conditions are right.

I'm hoping to be there every morning till they show up..

These wolves come on to a couple farms, so I know they know the human smell, sounds etc.. But I think they are still pretty sketchy animals.

Question, can I use the carcass of a wolf to bait wolves? I have a skinned out carcass of one I shot in the fall I'd like to use for bait if they'll eat it.

bdub
12-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I tried getting some wolves about the same way you are going about it one year. Drug a road killed moose down an old lease road with zero traffic. There were lots of wolves in the area close to farm/range land. I could check it everyday from a good distance. It took about a week till they hit it and then it was pretty much cleaned up overnight. I spent a bit of time on it after they hit it but they didn't show in daylight and they cleaned it up so fast the action was completely done in three days. Never got a wolf off of it. If you can I would concentrate as early and as late in the day as you can. If it is a good size bunch they will clean it up pretty quick. Good luck, hope you get a couple.

KegRiver
12-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm hoping to be there every morning till they show up..

These wolves come on to a couple farms, so I know they know the human smell, sounds etc.. But I think they are still pretty sketchy animals.

Question, can I use the carcass of a wolf to bait wolves? I have a skinned out carcass of one I shot in the fall I'd like to use for bait if they'll eat it.

I've been told that Wolves will eat their own and I've seen evidence to support this but I can't say for sure that they do.

If the stories I've heard are even partially true, then they may do so, but only under the right circumstances.

To give the short answer as to why, I was told that they eat their own pack members who have been killed, to keep the Ravens from getting their kin.

It sounds kinda hokus Pokus but I've heard enough of this sort of thing and later found them to be at least mostly true, to not dismiss the whole thing just because it sounds hokey.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't spook them off the bait if you were to put a wolf carcass or two close by.

LacLaBicheNS
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I've been told that Wolves will eat their own and I've seen evidence to support this but I can't say for sure that they do.

If the stories I've heard are even partially true, then they may do so, but only under the right circumstances.

To give the short answer as to why, I was told that they eat their own pack members who have been killed, to keep the Ravens from getting their kin.

It sounds kinda hokus Pokus but I've heard enough of this sort of thing and later found them to be at least mostly true, to not dismiss the whole thing just because it sounds hokey.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't spook them off the bait if you were to put a wolf carcass or two close by.

thanks!

if I had a fox pro, would their be a point in using a wolf howl or a distressed animal if I get to the bait and theres nothing on it?

chain2
12-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I think wolves get alot of credit for being smart but in reality most what they do is done in darkness, so daylight sighting are tough. Also killing multiples is not uncommon once they're sited. I would make several single skidoo tracks branching back from your bait...up to ten miles even...they are buggers for trotting the hard pack allnight and filter them down to your bait or a main line to your bait. good hunting and post some pics please chain

mcreg
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
You don't need a Foxpro! I use a birchbark moose call and howl vocally like you do for moose. As I mentioned in another post any wolf that hears it will answer. Then you can use the distress to lure them in!
But again remember every pack member knows each others "voice" so you imitating another wolf will spark their terriotorial dominance. And as I mentioned in my PM to you, if you can find some "scat" from a considerable distance away and definetely from another pack, put it arouind your bait. When they come in it will drive them absolutely bonkers. And if/when they hear your howl - be ready!!! The Alpha male will be the first in, get him and the rest will stick around for a bit -until they figure out what's happening.
I have never had this little trick fail me.
Good luck

Mutter87
12-28-2012, 09:57 PM
You don't need a Foxpro! I use a birchbark moose call and howl vocally like you do for moose. As I mentioned in another post any wolf that hears it will answer. Then you can use the distress to lure them in!
But again remember every pack member knows each others "voice" so you imitating another wolf will spark their terriotorial dominance. And as I mentioned in my PM to you, if you can find some "scat" from a considerable distance away and definetely from another pack, put it arouind your bait. When they come in it will drive them absolutely bonkers. And if/when they hear your howl - be ready!!! The Alpha male will be the first in, get him and the rest will stick around for a bit -until they figure out what's happening.
I have never had this little trick fail me.
Good luck

You think meat fed wolf urine would work? Dump a bottle around the area on a windy day and use a wolf howl call?

mcreg
12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
I have NO idea??
Likely will work much like the "scat". If It were me I would try to imitate another wolf making a scent marking, much like a deer srcape.
Give it a whirl bad let us know the outcome

MtnGiant
12-28-2012, 11:17 PM
You could just use yourself as bait.
Wolves have a very keen sense of taking out the weak from a herd.

Mutter87
12-28-2012, 11:21 PM
You could just use yourself as bait.
Wolves have a very keen sense of taking out the weak from a herd.

Who are your insults directed at?

MtnGiant
12-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Who are your insults directed at?

Insult???
HUH!!!!
It's true that a wolf pack will go after a loan animal.
Just sit and wait for em to come around.
Isn't it better than scaring them off with a snowmobile.
Stop assuming ma man.

normanrd
12-29-2012, 01:42 AM
My answer to the op is YES, sled to within a reasonable distance to the bait sight and then walk the rest. You might consider bringing an auger to the slough and drilling a hole and then covering the carcass in water to freeze it to the ice. You will get way more mileage out of the bait, as it won't disappear in one night, and when it gets really cold you will have the wolves coming for carcas-sicles! If you repeatedly refresh the sight over the winter (if conditions permit) you should have a productive site.

Good luck,

Norm

timba
12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
I have been putting my bait in a tote and filling it with water and freezing it with a chain in the middle so they cant take it away.It works good,got lots of wolves hitting my bait but the trail camera seems to scare them.

Mutter87
12-29-2012, 09:55 AM
What did you put in that ball of bait? Looks interesting that's for sure. You just spike the chain to the ground?

timba
12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
What did you put in that ball of bait? Looks interesting that's for sure. You just spike the chain to the ground?

It's scraps from the butcher,the chain is run to a tree. The block is pretty heavy I'm sure they wouldn't move it to far till it was chewed down

saskfly
12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I have been putting my bait in a tote and filling it with water and freezing it with a chain in the middle so they cant take it away.It works good,got lots of wolves hitting my bait but the trail camera seems to scare them.

Thats exactly what I plan to do, great idea!

Bushmaster
12-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I've never baited for wolves but talked to a guy who used to freeze deer hides in the ice, kept them coming back to try to get at them.

Icefisher2885
12-30-2012, 09:45 PM
There's some fantastic tips in this thread! Thanks to those who have shared some techniques that I have no doubt took a lot of work to learn.

LacLaBicheNS
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
bait went out yesterday. I checked it this morning, no tracks and nothing on the bait. I'll check it again tomorrow eveniing.

Nait Hadya
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
let your pets mark their territory around the bait.

timba
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
bait went out yesterday. I checked it this morning, no tracks and nothing on the bait. I'll check it again tomorrow eveniing.

Give it some time, if u put out lots of bait wait at least a week.i try only to go near the bait when I figure its low on bait.

gube
12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
A frozen bucket of food scraps, stuff from the butchers, and dog food all mixed in with water and frozen solid has been quite effective for me.
Have never tried it for wolves but works very well for yotes
Remember. "If you build it, they will come". LOL
Some photos of my "meatsickles"

http://www.predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/showthread.php?1083-Bait-pile

LacLaBicheNS
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Shot a coyote off the bait tonight around 4pm. As I was sneeking into it there was crows/magpies everywhere in the trees and flying around. I could hear a coyote barking at them from in the bush. When I finally got to where I could see the bait there was the coyote trying as hard as he could to drag it off into the bush, but of course it was frozen in lol... I shot him, but I couldn't get close to him to get a pic as there was a crust with 6 inches of water all around my bait. I didn't want to get my feet wet and have to sit with wet feet till sunset and than walk a mile to the sled.

Bushmaster
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
The magpies and ravens will get the word out to everybody in the area about your bait......things will heat up.

baptiste_moose
01-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. Great thread and tons of usable info! cheers

CBintheNorth
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
One thing I never thought of was the trappers!
I spoke with a F&W officer in Whitecourt and he told me he is constantly dealing with fights between wolf baiters and trappers.
A good piece of advice was to contact the local F&W office and they will tell you who the local trapper is in the area and how to contact him.
The last thing someone wants is to set up a bait near a registered trap line.

albertadeer
01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Shot a coyote off the bait tonight around 4pm. As I was sneeking into it there was crows/magpies everywhere in the trees and flying around. I could hear a coyote barking at them from in the bush. When I finally got to where I could see the bait there was the coyote trying as hard as he could to drag it off into the bush, but of course it was frozen in lol... I shot him, but I couldn't get close to him to get a pic as there was a crust with 6 inches of water all around my bait. I didn't want to get my feet wet and have to sit with wet feet till sunset and than walk a mile to the sled.

If you really want a wolf you will let the coyotes eat....

Torkdiesel
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I spoke with a F&W officer in Whitecourt and he told me he is constantly dealing with fights between wolf baiters and trappers.
A good piece of advice was to contact the local F&W office and they will tell you who the local trapper is in the area and how to contact him.

I don't mind the wolf hunters baiting on my trapline at all. I just set snares up a hundred yards or so back from the bait. They do all he work for me :)

bullgetter
01-03-2013, 08:38 AM

I've never worried about hunters baiting wolves on my trapline. Do you know how many hours and days one would have to sit to even get a glimpse of a wolf? The pack could be weeks before it comes back if they do at all and it doesn't have to be in the daylight.
I think if you have alot of bait like a couple of dead cows in a pasture out in the farmland you would stand a better chance. Start sitting as soon as it gets hit as they can clean it up and move on fast. Cold weather helps keep things nice and frozen so the birds can't eat most of it.

LacLaBicheNS
01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
The closest trap line in the area has not been trapped in years. I was on his line a couple weeks ago and there hasn't been a sled or foot print on it all year.

Sooner
01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Would a coyote decoy and a coyote call help draw wolves out to a bait area or say in the middle of a backwoods pond that has a baitsicle put there?

cowmanbob
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Would a coyote decoy and a coyote call help draw wolves out to a bait area or say in the middle of a backwoods pond that has a baitsicle put there?

Probably not. Just use roadkill and have your stand at least 200 yds away. Resist the urge to shoot coyotes. I would not attempt to walk to the stand in the mornings. Have lots of patience and good luck to you. I've had the best luck at -25 or colder.