PDA

View Full Version : Ear Protection

Doodle30
12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey Guys

Just did a very quick search and didn't see much. I am curious what ear protection guys are using in the field and at the range. Would be used for waterfowl and range if the makes a difference.

I think I may especially be interested in the custom fitted option if it isn't to expensive. Wife says I am deaf enough already.

C Taylor
12-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I went for the custom fit plugs. Gal that done the hearing test says I can hear women and children. Go figure eh

MtnGiant
12-27-2012, 10:15 PM
I was taught by a military man that u should wear foam ear plugs and head phone ear protection together. Each one protects from certain ranges but not enough. Both together covers the full range of noise frequency protection.

ruger338
12-27-2012, 10:32 PM
WHT DID YOU SAY? A huting buddy of mine got a pair of head phone ear muff style protectors, from his buddy in the military and damn they work good, im not quite sure if they are battery operated but you can hear quite well with them on, i can hear a d amn thing with foam plugs in and kinda sucks while siting in treestand or blind, ive been trying to buy a civilian set of these cannot find any less than 250$ and unfortunately I dont have an army buddy so foam it is.

normanrd
12-28-2012, 09:30 AM
For the last 10 or so years I have been using an electronic earmuff made by pro-ears. It has a sound amplifying cicuit as well as a noise attenuation circuit. Cool thing is that you and your buddy can literally whisper back and forth from 50 or so feet and stil hear each other. They work great for coyote hunting as well as at the range with the kids, because we can all speak at normal levels, yet still be protected. At the range by myself or when Im shooting a handgun I also use foamies underneath, just as an added measure of protection.

Downside is that the batteries are pretty spendy to replace, and the muffs are not cheapeither.

catnthehat
12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
For the last 10 or so years I have been using an electronic earmuff made by pro-ears. It has a sound amplifying cicuit as well as a noise attenuation circuit. Cool thing is that you and your buddy can literally whisper back and forth from 50 or so feet and stil hear each other. They work great for coyote hunting as well as at the range with the kids, because we can all speak at normal levels, yet still be protected. At the range by myself or when Im shooting a handgun I also use foamies underneath, just as an added measure of protection.

Downside is that the batteries are pretty spendy to replace, and the muffs are not cheapeither.

X2 Walkers for me , but when I'm on the range I have custom molded ear plugs.
Cat

Cyclops
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I was taught by a military man that u should wear foam ear plugs and head phone ear protection together. Each one protects from certain ranges but not enough. Both together covers the full range of noise frequency protection.

I agree 100%. It's what my dad taught me. He was a military man. :)

kidd
12-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I've got these plastic ones with a hole in the middle. Apparently it lets normal sounds in but keeps out the high pitch of the shot. sometimes my ears still ring so something different is in order.

As a side note, how do your dogs fair in the blind with the shotguns blazing? Do their ears get damaged like our would? My kids asked me the other day and I didnt know a good answer for this.

kidd

uglyelk
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-HFM-123///MP-HFM-123-02.pdf

roger
12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Canadian tire has a set of amplified earphone for 35$.they also have a fm radio and mp3 input or iphone ear buds. All with Two aaa batts. They cut out at 85db and become regular headphones. Ive got three years on mine of 40 hours aweek,work great in bobcat too
Cant go wrong

skidderman
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM

X2

bdub
12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Good Pelters at the range and ear pods out hunting. I like the ear pods because you can just jam them in your ear with out waiting for them to expand. You can get both at most safety shops. Really wish I would have started using hearing protection while hunting much sooner.

trapshooter
12-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I use really cheap clay ones used for swimming... you can get them at superstore for a pack of 8 pairs for $5.

Alberta Bigbore
12-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Ive been using some foam plugs and some Caldwell electronic muff for added protection at the range

jungleboy
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't use ear protection but honestly the loud noise of the gun doesn't bother me like it used to.:(