PDA

View Full Version : punta cana fishing

rena0040
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm headed to punta cana for a wedding in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone here has fished there. Any sugeestion of charter company or local would be appreciated. As well as what species i should try for.

livefortherut
12-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Just got back from punta cana. I really wanted to go fishing there to but from what I read on here I chose not to everyone said they guides were no good and just save your money and not go. I read a few good things and people having luck though check out mikes marina fishing charters website heard they were good. Good luck have fun! If you do go fishing and catch some fish post some pics when you get back!

seahawkfisher
12-28-2012, 10:23 PM
might not be what you want to hear but Punta Cana is a far better golfing destination (likely the best in the caribean) than fishing. if you want to try fishing, look at Cap Cana; very high-end but can be worth it on the right day
cheers

rena0040
12-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Well I'm not picky or particular, just want a chance at catching some fish between rum punchs. Anyone fish punta cana beforeor the area?

livefortherut
12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Search it on here there are quite a few threads on it.

FishHunterPro
12-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I tried fishing in punta Cana it's could have been alot better haha I was way to hungover to be on a boat. We had a marlin on but it got off but still pretty exciting. Boats all around us were pulling fish in. My only recommendation is to book a trip through the resort and only through the resort. The funniest thing I tried in punta was surfing with maco surfing school, it was the best $80 I spent and the staff was top notch !

tight line
12-28-2012, 11:25 PM
"Just fishing"Went with them last spring, hooked in to some nice Mahi's, one boat got skunked, one boat caught 8 Mahis and a striped marlin. Hit and miss but for 100 bucks still fun! Just remember to drink every last drop of free boozeon the boat! Lol

CBintheNorth
12-28-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm trying to find the link to fish migration through the area. I wish I would've checked it before I went a few years ago, I could have saved my money. We went in April and the chart showed it was low season for everything.

Definitely go with a reputable guide Even if it is double the price. And be sure to ask what they're catching recently.

We got taken by some guy on the beach, once we got on the boat there was no booze, no snacks, and definitely no fish caught.

If I can find the link again, I'll post it here.

Greasemonkey
12-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Off topic but if going to punts Cana make sure you take dukoral

Reelreelreel!
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
My brother and I stayed at Bahia Principe in Punta Cana. There are guys on the beach selling fishing trips all the time. We went with one of those, I think it worked out to 65 bucks or so each. We caught the Marlin that's in my profile pic. Was 7 of us on the boat but 3 were girls and didn't fish - we all took turns reeling it in, if you want more private it was possible but would have cost more. Saw a sail fish too but it didn't bite.

seahawkfisher
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
x2 on the dukoral; been everywhere in the carib and MX; only got sick twice - both times in punta cana
cheers