PDA

View Full Version : Need help calling Elk

klomas98
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
A group of us went Elk hunting near Manning this past season. All of us were experienced hunters but none had hunted Elk before. We did have a few replies to our calling but really we have no clue if we are doing the calling correct... or simply driving more of them away then atttracting them.

I spent time online listening to lots of different pros who said this is how you do it.... but I could be calling in japanese for all I know.

Any suggestions in the Edmonton area that I could go and learn from somebody to call Elk properly??? Is there a course?
any recomondations for a proven squeeze call? is the Hoochi Mama the way to go? another type of call?

I want to get the jump on next season and ensure I know how to call properly before we try again.

Thanks for the help if you can provide it.

Rhino81
12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Do you have the right phone number?

klomas98
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
what number???

pseelk
12-28-2012, 01:51 PM
what number???

the elks #.

NBFK
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Ditch the squeeze call. Look up bugling bull calls. Learn how to use diaphrams. You will never get an elk to commit if the wind is wrong. Get multiple bottles of wind check. As soon as a you get a bull fired up get the wind in you favour and go to him. They will always try and get the wind in their nose coming in so watching the wind is crucial.

1899b
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM

leo
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
The calling technique and sound is only a portion if the equation to be successful. Knowing when and when not to call are every bit as important. Pm me if you want me to impart what wisdom I have found to work for me. I am not an expert, but I have taken about 16 elk over the last 20 years.

35 whelen
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Try ROCKY JACOBSONS SET OF ELK DVDS AND CDS .

Gunfighter
12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Get a diaphragm now and start practicing for next year.
Nice thing with them is the versatility of the the call. Cow talk , bugles, grunts.
Add a grunt tube.
Also if you keep it in your mouth they are hands and movement free, when you need to cause a movement of the animal for a good shot.

Turtle Lake
12-29-2012, 02:37 AM
I learned from Primos videos and practice in field / bush. They only come to certain areas / spots regularily. Hoochie Momma is good for cows and smaller bulls. I agree diaphram mouth calls are best, bull and cow sounds. The odd time an elk will visit your camfire or truck window. You never know when it will happen. That's my 2 cents.....

trapshooter
12-29-2012, 02:49 AM
I just got the book "Elk Talk" for christmas! I love it... it tells everything there is to know about calling elk. It gives different calling sequences and times and everything. Definitely recommend it!

huntin
12-29-2012, 07:01 AM
There are no elk by manning none. 0 at all must have been other hunters you were calling In.

klomas98
12-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys...I appreciate it.

I was south of manning and west of North Star... there is definately Elk there... A cow walked out right to me using a squeeze call the first morning.

Thanks boys.... I will buy that book and PM for some help.

Grayling
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Give Wapiti River Outdoors a call. They are in Grande Prairie. They have the best elk reeds and bugle tubes !! They had a booth at the sportsman's show last fall ! They take there time and show you how the call should sound !! Even gave a demo at the show !!:sHa_shakeshout::happy0180: There number is 780-876-6170.