PDA

View Full Version : Help On Lakes Near Edmonton

Hooked
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I've read the posts on areas near edmonton, and I'm still undecided on where to go this weekend. I'm open to any type of fish but would prefer a nice Rainbow so I can smoke it (only want one for the time being).

I've narrowed it down to Chickakoo, and if no luck there head to Sauer. The other option is Muir, which is good as I only want one keeper anyway.

I love fishing Wabamun, but lately it's gotten boring due to SO MANY fish, last weekend my wife and I were catching Pike on every cast of the SE shoreline, and there were a couple of times we caught at the same time.

I'm still kinda new to fishing (started late last summer), and I have never found anything in my life that I enjoy so much!

Any input would be really helpfull, and Thank you!!

wake
06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
If you hit Chickakoo you will likely get your limit of Brookies, the bows in there are really not biting yet.

But the brookies are going crazy.

Rudy198
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Muir has a NO LIVE BAIT BAN and you can only keep 1 over 20",both Chickakoo and Sauer would be your best bet

Hooked
06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I've been doing a lot of research lately, and to have the same input is more assuring.

I know about the Muir Bait Ban, and limit of one, but just wanted input on the chances.....I appreciate it!

Today at work (should have been working) I was doing more research and I thought that Walleye was only available on the Draw license, and reading more into the 2008 regulations, much too my surprise, it's only for the 3 lakes (sorry for the incompetence).

Anyway, I think I'll try Chickakoo and Sauer, but do you guys have any suggestions for Walleye close to Edmonton with regular fishing license?

I`ve never caught one and am not sure how.....!

Appletree
06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
For walleye, I'd fish the North Saskatchewan; toss a pickerel rig, jig and plastic grub or a silver spinner into any of the holes you can find and you ought to be good for a few walleye/sauger/pike/goldeye. The fishing's tough right now, as the river's high, but once it calms down there are a surprising number of walleye to be had, even right in town.

mark-edmonton
06-04-2008, 07:49 PM
tried fishing Muir this past sunday. A buddy and I were fishing off the dock for about an hour, was spin casting and flyfishing, until this inconsiderate family shouwed up to enjoy a picnic on a nice day. 4 of their kids figured the best place to play was directly behind me where my backcast was going. I warmed them as to my fishing once and tehy moved, for 5 min. then right back to directly behind me. There dad i think was out in a boat and the mother thought that it was just fine for them to play there. Not like there wasn't 100's of meters of free space along the water front.

Didn't feel like arguing so I just left.

But hey if that family happens to be reading this, have some consideration for others, lots of room for everyone to enjoy, not just you!

Rudy198
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
tried fishing Muir this past sunday. A buddy and I were fishing off the dock for about an hour, was spin casting and flyfishing, until this inconsiderate family shouwed up to enjoy a picnic on a nice day. 4 of their kids figured the best place to play was directly behind me where my backcast was going. I warmed them as to my fishing once and tehy moved, for 5 min. then right back to directly behind me. There dad i think was out in a boat and the mother thought that it was just fine for them to play there. Not like there wasn't 100's of meters of free space along the water front.

But hey if that family happens to be reading this, have some consideration for others, lots of room for everyone to enjoy, not just you!

Hey Mark i must of seen you on the dock just as i was leaving,i know exactly what ppl your taking about

mark-edmonton
06-04-2008, 09:48 PM
yep, that was me trying to toss a fly around. Just a beginner so I thought that I was in a good spot to learn. Anyway a nice fellow gave me a few pointers(and a nice fly and indicator) as he was pulling his pontoon out of the water.

Just thought that it was inconsiderate.

Hooked
06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
That is too bad Mark.....especially when your trying to relax!

Appletree.....Thanks for the tip on the Sask River, but I want to eat one as I hear their really good. Maybe I'll give that a go to at least try my luck at catching one to get my feet wet with Walleye.

Excuse my ignorance, as I mentioned I'm still sorta new, but......I know what a pickerel rig is and a spinner, but can you define Jig and Plastic grub, I think the grub is the head with hook mixed with a tail of any sort correct???

guysmiley
06-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Mark,

Why didn't you just move to another spot? Seems like a shame to stop fishing just because someone is in your back cast. There are some really nice spots on the other side of the lake that you can walk to.

Garrick.

mark-edmonton
06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Ya well that was my first time at the lake and I had been fishing from that dock for over an hour when they got there.

People should just learn to police their kids thats all i'm saying.

But thanks for the pointer of the other side of the lake.

Appletree
06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
That is too bad Mark.....especially when your trying to relax!

Appletree.....Thanks for the tip on the Sask River, but I want to eat one as I hear their really good. Maybe I'll give that a go to at least try my luck at catching one to get my feet wet with Walleye.

Excuse my ignorance, as I mentioned I'm still sorta new, but......I know what a pickerel rig is and a spinner, but can you define Jig and Plastic grub, I think the grub is the head with hook mixed with a tail of any sort correct???

Hey there Hooked,

No problem, maybe I can make myself clearer. By jig and grub I mean a lead-headed jig (hook with an incorporated lead weight) with a small plastic worm attached. I've always called the short (~3inch), fat plastic worms grubs. I like them in either yellow, black or grey sparkle patterns. Other folks on the board rave about Berkely Gulp brand, but I haven't made that big investment yet. The spinners I've been having luck with are yellow and silver Panther Martins. I haven't actually fished the river with a pickerel rig yet, but that seems to be what everyone else is chucking (and the only kind of tackle I ever manage to snag and reel in).

Hooked
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Thank you so Much!

I feel kind of emberassed asking those type of questions on these types of forums, but there seems to be a pretty good mix on this one!

Any other "Fishing for Dummies" tips would be greatly appreciated.

Still looking for a lake near Edmonton with Walleye I can keep???

happy perch fisher
06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
south buck is 1hour and 45 minutes. Everything else is 2.50hours+ South buck u will need a boat throw.

Hooked
06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Sounds good to me, I'll have to hit that up after I get some Brook @ Chickakoo on first nicer day, Thanks

I also searched google for directions and only got Buck Lake.....I'm assuming that's the same thing and your suggesting south shore???

What is a boat throw??

wake
06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Small brass spoons, and spinners are outfishing the bait rig guys right now, aswell flies are working well for the fly guys.

@ Chickakoo.

Sauer is also producing well for bow's right now and it's literally a 2 minute drive from Chickakoo.Mind you the bows are a little on the small side.

Hooked
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
I was fishing spinners at Hasse Lake a couple weekends ago and had really good luck, but they were all small and didn't want to keep, so they had a chance to grow.

I was planning on trying the same thing, and you comment makes me more confident!

How would you define "Bait rig"....?

Thanks!

gonefishin
06-06-2008, 09:08 AM
A "bait rig" is any sort of set up where the guy is using bait.... i.e- worm under a bobber or a pickeral rig.

Hooked
06-06-2008, 09:22 AM
A "bait rig" is any sort of set up where the guy is using bait.... i.e- worm under a bobber or a pickeral rig.

Thank you sir!!