PDA

View Full Version : Wet Water Whitefish

Brian
06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I'd love to catch some open water whitefish, but have never had much success. Perhaps some of you wizards can give me some pointers. I like to fish Sylvan, Gull, Buck, Pigeon & Battle Lakes. Thanks in advance for the help!

skykomish sunrise
06-05-2008, 04:55 AM
open water whites are a blast on the fly...croni's a foot under the indicator will do well when they are rising

TundraBuck
06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Yep or even more fun, use dry flies! When that caddis hatch is on hold on tight!!!

orca
06-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Went to Fickle Lake for a few days cought a whitfish four lb on a five of diamonds there was lots surfacing . Tried fly fishing but had no luck . Was fishing for Pike and wally's lots of both but small biggest
2 1/2 lb wally's and 24" pike . Had a great time though.

Drewski Canuck
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Find a sandy beach area with lots of wave action. Anchor in 6 feet of water. Take a slip bobber, and set a small gold Kastmaster about 6 inches from bottom. Cast out and occasionally "yank" it in and stop. The falling fluttering action of the Kastmaster is deadly.

Drewski

dodger
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Hello Drewski Canuck.
What is a Kastmaster?
Dodger

TundraBuck
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
dodger, they are a small solid colored spoon. The shape of them allows them to have some cool fluttering action, as DC has has stated they can be damn deadly.

dodger
06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I checked Cabellas and now I can see what the Kastmaster looks like :) For the Whitefish should you use the ones with the buck tail or the plain hook? Or do you throw a little something on the hook like Maggots? Ive seen so many Whites in Little Bow and I want to try catching a few. I did have a little bit of luck with the wire worm but it would be nice to kick it up a notch.
Dodger.

TundraBuck
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
dodger, are these rocky whites or lake whites?

Ayr
06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Try a wire worm, the same color you like in the winter. You can fish these under an indicator, or trolled about 4 feet deep in 9 feet of water. Focus on Sylvan, Gull, and Pigeon for getting your confidence up, then maybe give Battle a go.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Ayr/DSC02100.jpg

Good luck.

Ayr.

TundraBuck
06-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Great picture Ayr. Those look like Gull lake whites?

Ayr
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
You've got a well trained eye TundraBuck, Gull it is.

Cheers,

Ayr.

Drewski Canuck
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I think I have eaten my weight in Whites a few times over. Have you ever noticed how the larger Whites (lake whites) have minnows in them? This is what the Kastmaster mimics. The key is pulling a few feet on the slip bobber and letting it drop back down and sit for a minute. The fluttering action is amazing. What is also amazing is how many whites will try to swallow the Kastmaster. Lip hooks are not the norm.

Damn it! How am I supposed to concentrate on work on a friday afternoon if you want to talk about FISHING!!!!!

Drewski

dodger
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi TundraBuck.
These are Lake Whites, the tips have been helpful thanks everyone for the input. I'm just not sure on throwing something on the hook or leave it bare. In the winter I use a couple of maggots but I have also caught them on a bare hook. This is coming from a VERY MEDIOCRE Lake Whitefish fisherman.
:lol: :lol:
Dodger.

TundraBuck
06-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I used to be too. We used to get so damn frustrated sitting over a hole all day sightfishing for them, now, I don't know, we've just caught so many of them that it's second nature. Yes, use those kastmasters, wireworms, or if you're into flyfishing chironomids or dry flies are deadly.

iliketrout
06-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Has anyone had much luck with Whites on Spray Lakes? What would be the best lake for Whites within a reasonable distance from Calgary?

TundraBuck
06-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Probably Gull, Pigeon, or Sylvan.

Brian
06-07-2008, 07:37 AM
McGreggor is not all that far from Calgary & produces loads of whites. Also not too hard to catch.

Also, thanks everybody for all the great advice. Re: fly fishing for them....do you always use a floating line, and (not being a fly fisherman....yet) what do chrono's look like? I know they include a range of colors, patterns, etc, but not sure I would recognize them. Anyone have pictures? Will have to get a book!