PDA

View Full Version : eyes that refuse to bite

mooseman1
12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
on lake x there are alot of walleyes at about 20ft , this lake has alot of perch and white fish as well and both are pretty easy to catch though the ice but not the eyes. i've seen them on my lx-5 but can't get them to bite ,they will hang around my hook for up too five min but no bite and this is the second season that i've been tryin and no luck so far. They are not hungry, the ones the natives caught in there nets were stuffed with perch.

So any tips are welcome.:thinking-006:

AppleJax
12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Try a hook with a perch pattern. PK lures has a few.

Mutter87
12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Use a jig lure, With a PIECE of minnow attached. Ex - Stormwild eye Perch lure with half a minnow on the hook. Sometimes it entices the bite.

mooseman1
12-29-2012, 03:06 PM
i tried yellow jig with minnow, white twin tail,yellow perch,glow pellets,2 j hook's with yellow beads, the walleye killer, even spoons. they are hanging out about a foot off the bottom and move very slowly.

Walleye101
12-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Lake X Walleye generally like a 1/8 oz perch pattern jig head tipped with a parker minnow resting right on the bottom. With the occassional twitch to stir up a cloud of dirt!!!!!:)

mooseman1
12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Lake X Walleye generally like a 1/8 oz perch pattern jig head tipped with a parker minnow resting right on the bottom. With the occassional twitch to stir up a cloud of dirt!!!!!:)

tried that,even in the summer only a handful of eyes get caught on hooks in this lake , the ones in the nets were ranging from 6-10lbs and were fat short hogs, but i'm born the wrong colour to fish with a net so it's just sit back and watch for me :angry3:

Zanzibar
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
You're asking for a specific hook, to catch a specific fish, at a place you will only call Lake X?:thinking-006:

Walleyes
12-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Walleye in certain lakes can be tuff ice fishing,, don't know what it is but they can be tuff. Walleyes through the ice can are tuff at the best of times never mind certain lakes. I have found over the years that lakes with good or great feed are even tuffer. Keep in mind that in winter their feeding patterns are not like in the summer especialy early winter, they may only feed a couple times a week,, who really knows.. Those fish you are seeing are doing what they do in the winter,, hanging out and conserving energy. Who knows when the feed will kick in, sometimes a guy is lucky and hits them when they decide to eat,, most times it seems like not.

When the eyes are like this its time to go super stealth,, set a tip up (or two or three depending on how many people are out) with nothing more than a plane 3/8oz lead head jig,, color optional,, my boys always keep plane lead color jigs on hand for just this no tail, no hair just jig, or put on a plain snell hook with a couple weights about 6" above hook,, tipped with a "FULL" shiner. Set up about 6" off bottom and just let it sit. Go by once every few minutes and just give it a flick. Those lazy big eyes will evetualy fall to the free food and nail it.. Its not fast furyous by any means but it generaly will get you a fish or two. At the same time as this have your other holes drilled out and about and make your constant rounds with your active rod or pole and just keep at em.. As spring comes they will get more active and play on a more regular bases,, but for now its a waiting game.. Its also important to have your holes drilled in advance and keep at them,, and have patients man.. If you are interested and have the time,, have a dozen holes or so drilled in closer to shore covering the water depth from 20' - 6' of water,, as the evening progresses work your way in,, keep on the move,, with a jig tipped minnow,, the walleyes that are interested in eating will move in to feed,, be part of the migration..

Keep it plain,, keep it fresh,, these are lazy fish these aren't summer time feeders this is no time for things that rattle or bang and are made of large pieces of plastic,, leave those at the fishin hole where they belong.. If using a snell hook,, place the hook through the back so the minnow sits natural in the water,, if using a jig well thats a secret on how to hook those so they sit natural in the water.. These are lazy fish you have to be absolutey perfect in every way to entice a bite.

Good luck..

P.S. Never mind the Lake X comments,, you just keep that little gem to yourself,, let everyone else do some foot work and find their own lake.. Heck its easy don't you know..

Walleye101
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Some people are are just hillarious here. Shhhhh! Everything is a big secret in Alberta.

Bigdad013
12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Lake x karma, need I say more...lol

WayneChristie
12-29-2012, 04:44 PM
try a quarter ounce teaser jig if that doesnt get them interested thread a big dewworm on a baitahook and hang it just off bottom with no weights

Elkaholic523
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I noticed in the past that I had to go down to 4to6 pound test and lots of the time they would only bite if I put it on the bottom flash it to bring them in then drop it on the bottom slight jiggle that's it. And nothing fancy plain hook small minnow light line as u dare use...

Cal
12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
You're asking for a specific hook, to catch a specific fish, at a place you will only call Lake X?:thinking-006:

LOL, great point. Use bait "X", always works for me.

chriscosta
12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
and if the fish dont bite and it gets nets like that whats the big secret lol i usualy get em holdin my mouth like this lol:bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
12-29-2012, 08:42 PM
could always try a different lake too :thinking-006:

Richmuiz
12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Bring me to lake x I caught 30 walleyes today and lost close to 30

Pikebreath
12-29-2012, 09:21 PM
i've seen them on my lx-5 but can't get them to bite ,they will hang around my hook for up too five min but no bite and this is the second season that i've been tryin and no luck so far. They are not hungry,,,,,:

I think you just answered your own question!!!

conan
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Bring me to lake x I caught 30 walleyes today and lost close to 30

Good job glad you had a good day

conan
12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
My son has us tied off with a 3 ft leader of fluorocarbon so usually we catch what we mark. Just haven't found many yet ha ha.