PDA

View Full Version : Tip Ups for Pike

kallsimb
12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I went to wabamun yesterday and it was my first time icefishing and I was only able to land 2 pike with my tip up rig. I tie my darcon tip up line to a steel leader and then put a size 1 trebel on the leader with a small sinker above the leader. I dont know if im doing it wrong but what do you guys use as far as rigs on your tip ups?
Thanks for your time and please help out a nooby ice fisher :p haha

Mutter87
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I tie a standard 9" wire leader on my tip up line. On the leader I'll put a 24" wire leader with heavy weight on the end. Now, I either attach a spreader hook (a piece of wire bent with a treble hook on either end, these are premade and sold) or I attach 2 6" wire leaders, both with treble hooks, and put a herring on those (one treble at the front and one at the back). This puts me right on the bottom with my Herring around 18-20".

coors04
12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
hey the rig you say your using sounds good to me i do pretty much the same thing only difference is i have never used a weight but i cant see how that would affect anything but if you find your missing to many fish you can try a couple different things 1 stab your bait fish through the belly with the shaft of your 3 prong and then attach the 3 prong to your leader this will help keep your bait looking alive and not hanging sideways and also make it much harder for the fish to rip you off 2 try finding the noregion hooks ( sorry i have no clue how to spell it hopefully some one else does or you know what im talking about ) the noregions work great but you might only want to use them if your planing on keeping your pike cause they can be hard on them the other thing you can try is letting them run with you bait a bit before setting the hook but again only if your planning on keeping the pike hope this helps sorry about the lack of grammar and remember pike can and will change change there attitudes everyday if you had a hard time hooking them today tomorrow they could be inhaling your bait hope this helps and have fun out there

You cant buy happiness but you can buy fishing gear and that's close enough for me

Cal
12-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I've had the best luck with the HT Windlass tipups. I use 25-40 lb tipup line tied to about 3 feet of 10-15lb mono and then an 8-12" leader. Keep the weight as light as possible to keep the fish from feeling it as it runs, one or two splitshot is usualy enough. I push the shank of a large trebble through the belly of the bait and out its back halfway between the head and the dorsal fin and run a smaller stinger back towards the tail. The big hook and stinger keeps your bait from getting stollen better than a regular quick strike rig but with the same benifits. I usualy let the fish run untill it stops and then set the hook, sometimes you get educated pike that appear to realise that if they just keep making agressive runs the bait will come off the hook. If this is happening you need to try and hook them while they are running.

chriscosta
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
titanium leader white tuff line 50lb and stick the shaft of a big treble through the belly and out the back of a largish herring and keep it about two feet off bottom stick a bell on your flag and dont leave it too long until you get bites and definately lose the weight you need your minnow as light as possible cuz alot of times theyll youch it a few times before they bite it and if its heavy theyll know it espescially in a place that sees as many anglers as wab im sure 99.9% of the pike in that lake have been fooled at least once the more experienced the fish the harder they are to catch and have something to cover your hole if possible i use a bucket lid good luck oh and try some kinda walleye scent

kallsimb
12-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the great replys. What do you guys think is the best size of treble for fishing pike on tip ups? Also whats better, a steel or fluorocarbon leader?

jaystev
12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/jaystev/pike_zps28765da8.jpg heres one caught on a swedish pimple 4lb line lol.

mosbos
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
We use Northlands quick strike rigs tied directly on to either the dacron or coated tip up lines that we have on our tipups. We don't use weights or leaders. I like suspending a bait either just off the bottom or a couple of feet off the bottom. The pike will let you know their preference. The best is if you can get out with a couple guys and set several tip ups up at different depths/settings. I'll always tend our tipups every 20 minutes or so as well. I don't know how many times we have had a flag go off shortly after a tipup has been re-adjusted.

NEWB
12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I use a 1/4 ounce pink jig and minnow with the average sized leader. I let it sit there approx 1 foot off the bottom. The pike usually go for it. Sometimes I get an educated one. On Friday I had one 8lb one watch and study the set up for 30 min before she bit. She was a small girl, but I'm hoping to land larger ones at fallis when it's safe enough to drive the truck on it.

Cal
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I read an artical where some Michigan fishermen kept tabs on the numbers of pike they caught over a period of a winter. According to their findings when using 8lb mono with no leader they had 2 out of ten pike cut the line. But they still iced more pike than with heavy braid and leaders due to the increased amount of strikes. Food for thought anyway. I'll try to track down the artical.

EZM
12-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I read an artical where some Michigan fishermen kept tabs on the numbers of pike they caught over a period of a winter. According to their findings when using 8lb mono with no leader they had 2 out of ten pike cut the line. But they still iced more pike than with heavy braid and leaders due to the increased amount of strikes. Food for thought anyway. I'll try to track down the artical.

100 percent agree. In a recent thread we discussed leaders, pike, etc.... My thoughts are - you need a bite proof leader for pike, but when fishing a slow, dead bait, or a subtle lure, use fluorocarbon leader material which is almost invisible in water. I use a 50lb or 80lb fluorocarbon leader.

Why risk having a pike reject your bait due to heavy line or a heavy steel leader (that they can see) when a fluorocarbon leader is nearly invisible and also bite proof?

I will say, however, when chasing a quickly trolled (or retrieved) plug or jerk bait, the pike needs to make a decision quickly and doesn't have time to contemplate the leader.

A pike staring a bait for 30 minutes does a lot of thinking maybe .....

braxxtonn
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
QUICK STRIKE RIG, size 4 ,trebles, big floro