PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lake west of Nordegg?

Duffy4
05-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Has anyone fished Abraham much? What did you catch and what methods and lures did you use. I hear people talking about fishing the tributary mouths but have never seen anyone fishing the lake.
I cast spoons, off the dam face one day for awhile and got two bulls (released) and one rainbow that was about 2 lbs. and as silver as a salmon. Good eating too.

Robin in Rocky

RockyMtnx
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I have never had any luck there. Maybe someone can help me out.

sheep hunter
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I've heard rumours of some good brookie fishing in the streams on the west side but so far it's just rumour. Need to get out there to check it out.

RockyMtnx
05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Sometimes those rumors or "I knew this guy once" stories pay off.

Onetime I was out quadding south west of Sundre and was looking for a short cut back to camp. I came across this creek in the middle of nowhere that was loaded with trout.
One pool must have 100 plus in it. I marked the spot off on my GPS but have never made it back.

sheep hunter
05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Thus the rumour book I keep on my desk. I manage to knock a few off the list each year. Some have paid off and some haven't but still fun exploring.

Rockymtnx
05-25-2007, 10:12 PM
That's a heck of an idea Sheep. Someone in your field probably hears a lot of these rumours.

One day I may have to let you on these coordinates of this fishing hole.
Who knows maybe one day one of us may make it there to check it out.

fishnutz4ever
05-26-2007, 03:31 AM
I had good luck one day with a Stimulator fished wet for smaller trout just above the damn face. Good luck. Later.

bluenoser
05-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Fished it for three days once cought lots at the inlets on hammered brass croc,(wouldent leave home without one)but dident have much luck out on the lake.Lake get's rough though seems like every afternoon the wind picked up.

Bluenoser.

Reeves1
05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Hiked into Pinto Lake one (of many times) with a plan to raft out the Cline to the lake.
Was in the water 12 hours, but the raft tore up just before the steep walled canyon (good thing ?). Had hypothermia, spent hours drying out gear. Hike out to the trail head near D.T. Resort.
At the trail head, several outfitters asked how I got past the Grizz, that had been feeding on one of their dead horses ! They had been trying to get into Pinto Lake for a few days & the Grizz wouldn't let them by !

I had a "meeting" with this Grizz a couple times before. Judged to be one of the biggest in the area/Rockies.

First time while camping at Pinto Lake. Bugger woke me in my tent at night. (long bloody night !)
Next time was hiking into the lake via Banff Park in Sun Set Pass (I think I have the names right ?) as a day hike. He came across the willows/buck brush, stoped at a log & gave it a swat...looked for bugs for a bit , then moved on. I waited for a bit, then went to the log. I couldn't move it by hand !

That was in the mid 80s, so he is likely long gone. But if you ever get the chance to hike in via Banff Park, end up at the D.T. resort, it will be a trip you'll never forget !
Of all the hikes I've done, it is one that will for all my life stick in my mind....