PDA

View Full Version : Chinook Up the Ying-Yang!!!

dss44
06-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Well guys, Chinook are really showing up in big numbers now. Nailing em like crazy out there today, some real beauties in terms of size too! Only 1 shy of our limit for the day for the whole boat. Halibut and Rockfish limits were caught the day before quite easily, and a couple Lings thrown in the mix as well.

Fishing season is shaping up to be a beauty this year! Tons of salmon and big Chinook are gonna be caught....once July and August comes almost every fisherman who is with us gets one over 30lbs plus most of their limit! YAHOOOOOO!!! It has begun!!!! :D Who's as freakin excited as I am??

Here are 2 of the fish from today...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/NDFishingJune08-08003.jpg

stubblejumper
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
That is great to hear,only five weeks to wait before I am trying to catch some myself.

Mark
06-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Where you fishing? What part of BC?

dss44
06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
We fish out of Port Hardy. Nail Rivers Inlet fish, all the inside passage inlet runs, fraser, and even some central coast rivers have fish coming through. I know that because we caught a big Rivers Inlet hatchery fish and send in the head and the DFO told us it was from up there....

TBark
06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Good for you,
Hope I have your luck off of Sooke on Aug 18 - 25th.
Walleyes and his kids will be in the boat beside me LOL.

TBark

nube
06-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm in Port Renfrew just a little north of you Treebark on Aug. 9 and 10 for Hali, salmon and rock fish. I don't know what to expect out of Port Renfrew but I think it should be good. If anyone has fished it that time of year I would love to hear what size of fish to expect.

dss44
06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Nube..you will be there for primetime fishing. Should be looking at plenty of Chinook between 20 and 30lbs..and be able to possibly hook into some bigger ones. The hali's down there are small though...just due to over fishing...avg size probably 15lbs.

TBark..pretty much same goes for you out of Sooke. Should be pretty decent fishing for sure!

Walleyes
06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Sweet,,, Thx for the pics dss just what a guy needs every few days to keep him going.. Nice fish and good job with the clients I am sure they were more than satisfied...

nube
06-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks. Are the coho around then and what does a guy think would be average for those?
I hope I can get a few rock fish as well but like I said I am not knowing in this kind of thing. It is all new to me. I will have the wife with me as well so I hope I can bring home supper for the next year.:lol:

uicehole
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Nice to see the Chinooks are looking strong this year but RATS! No West Coast trip this year. I'll have to settle for sailfish and marlin in Malaysia. Keep the salmon posts coming and thanks. If I can't fish 'em I can still drool.

Jamie
06-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks. Are the coho around then and what does a guy think would be average for those?
I hope I can get a few rock fish as well but like I said I am not knowing in this kind of thing. It is all new to me. I will have the wife with me as well so I hope I can bring home supper for the next year.:lol:

Cohos are more fun than a barrel full of monkeys!!

Jamie

dss44
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
The coho will be running...depending on where you are taken by your guide, it will matter if you are allowed to keep them or not. Probably averaging around 12 lbs during that time of the year. Rockfish are usually no problem to get if ya know the right spots...often like shooting a fish in a barrel..pardon the horrible pun :lol:

Coho are fun...but I'd still take a big Spring anyday lol After Sunday, I'm once again hooked on Chinook fishing....wayyy too much fun for its own good!

Jamie
06-10-2008, 08:34 PM
WHAT????
Chinook over coho????
Now dont get me wrong, it's kinda like boxing I love the big heavy weight fight.. But its the light weights that put on the show:wave: :wave:

Nothing better than a double header Coho.. 2 guys running all over the boat.. Bobbing.. Weaving...Ducking... Swearing at each other..
Damn I love Salmon fishing.. I think I live in the wrong province!!

Jamie

dss44
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Good analogy for the boxing fight...I"ll give you that. But I'm still gonna go with the Chinook. They are just too much fun to catch...I think a lot more adreniline flows through me when I see a big Chinook in the net rather than a Coho. Or see the reel spinning so hard and fast it burns your hand...that is a big Chinook! Gotta love em. I still am disappointed I haven't broke the 50 mark...48 my biggest...guided to tons over 50...but not caught myself. Actually one week 2 summers ago I guided to 5 over 50 in 6 days...one guy caught a 55, 50, 42, and 35 in 2 days!!! :eek: I was a wee bit jealous!

Walleyes
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Good analogy for the boxing fight...I"ll give you that. But I'm still gonna go with the Chinook. They are just too much fun to catch...I think a lot more adreniline flows through me when I see a big Chinook in the net rather than a Coho. Or see the reel spinning so hard and fast it burns your hand...that is a big Chinook! Gotta love em. I still am disappointed I haven't broke the 50 mark...48 my biggest...guided to tons over 50...but not caught myself. Actually one week 2 summers ago I guided to 5 over 50 in 6 days...one guy caught a 55, 50, 42, and 35 in 2 days!!! :eek: I was a wee bit jealous!

Got to go with you on this one dss,, nothing like the pure power of those big Chinook, they may not have the acrobatics of a Coho but in terms of strength and durability nothing quit like them, out there anyways.. Bullet Tuna man live for it !!!!

The Anvil
06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Nice Catch.

Jamie
06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
My favorite set up is when both types are around in great abundance.
But I have heard of people complaining about to many Coho and not being able to get the lines down deep enough.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhhhhh
I cant wait to go back

Jamie