PDA

View Full Version : Decision time

Net Tender
01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
My first post in this forum was in regards to Welding as a career change. I actually found this forum trying to do welding research.

I have been given the opportunity to become a welder apprentice by a friend who operates his own rigs. He not only took the time to answer questions for me, he also allowed me to come out and try my hand at burning a few rods to see if it might be something I actually liked.

I am in the final stages of trying to make this decision of going down the path of becoming a welder or staying in the corporate cubicle world that I currently live in.

A few things about me that make this such a hard decision. I have never worked in a labour field. I have 2 degrees and a highly regarded professional designation. However, I am bored day in and day out - working a job that never has an ending or completion.

I know a few of you are welders. Anyone care to share the real pros and cons of going through this in order to run your own rig?

Thanks in advance.

foxracing_23
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
My first post in this forum was in regards to Welding as a career change. I actually found this forum trying to do welding research.

I have been given the opportunity to become a welder apprentice by a friend who operates his own rigs. He not only took the time to answer questions for me, he also allowed me to come out and try my hand at burning a few rods to see if it might be something I actually liked.

I am in the final stages of trying to make this decision of going down the path of becoming a welder or staying in the corporate cubicle world that I currently live in.

A few things about me that make this such a hard decision. I have never worked in a labour field. I have 2 degrees and a highly regarded professional designation. However, I am bored day in and day out - working a job that never has an ending or completion.

I know a few of you are welders. Anyone care to share the real pros and cons of going through this in order to run your own rig?

Thanks in advance.

I assume we are talking pipe. As an apprentice you won't do a hell of a lot of welding unless you are doing cwb structural welding. You will most likely be a helper, tacker, fitters helper, pipe cutter etc. for the first several years. It is long days(10-14 hrs) I've worked outside my whole career. So the weather is a factor. Winter isn't any worse than August. Pouring sweat at 8am.
Pros: I like the work, I like the guys I work with, most hunt/fish/drink/smoke so there's lots to talk about. And finally the money. It's great money.
One thing-you better be damn good at what you do when the industry gets slow
As much as I can hate it sometimes, I do thouroghly enjoy my job and after
Any length of time off, I do look forward to going back

bb356
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm not a welder but could see the pride in finishing a well made project ... better than being in a dead end job and not enjoying it ... my 2 cent's !!!

Don Andersen
01-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Net Tender,

The very best part you have already figured out. At the end of the day, you can actually see the results of your work.

Regard,

Don

Net Tender
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Thank you all for the replies and the PMs!

Changes are hard. I know that I will never be able to gain enough information to know 100% that I am making the right choice.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me understand the pros and cons. :)