PDA

View Full Version : Doing your own auto work

cheier
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm just curious as to how many people around here do their own auto maintenance. I've realized that I've started investing in tools and such, and since I have done so, I've used them quite a bit to fix various issues with my 2005 Focus. Not just that, but I've installed a number of my own upgrades.

Aside from oil changes, which I now do on my car, my wife's Escape, and have also done it on my step sisters jeep, I've installed a new exhaust system, cold air intake, replaced spark plugs and replace alternator. In general, I've found that I've probably saved $1000 or so on shop labor with a few hundred in tools.

I also keep a spare set of wheels so I can change my winter and summer tires out. I've found that I can do a full set change in about 5 to 10 minutes.

I find that with a Haynes manual and YouTube, I've been able to do a lot on my vehicle that I normally wouldn't have done, and Canadian Tire has such awesome deals on tools sometimes.

After changing my alternator, I'm now more confident to change the accessory belt when I decide to replace that. Now I just gotta spend some time to identify my oil leak... :)

How many of you do your own auto work? What kind have you done and to what kind of vehicle?

Redfrog
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I hate wrenching. I love playing in the dirt. :)
But over the years I've had to do lots of mechanical work out of necessity. Tuneups, oil changes , lubes etc are just routine. Swapped motors and drive line components. Brakes, rad repairs, bearings , u joints etc. etc,
Just changed the wheel bearings in my F350. Older vehicles are easier to work on.:) New stuff has no room and too high tech for me.

Wish I had learned to weld. Too late now. doc says not with a pacemaker.

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 01:04 AM
I try to do pretty well everything.
I'm not a pro by any means.
But I did all the front end work on my 1 ton. Did all the steering, replaced the bearing/hub, did the front brakes. The second side went way quicker than the first.
I will change all the fluids, replace a rad, water pump or whatever.
I'm thinking about taking the intake off and changing the injectors myself.

I'm actually believing I could RR a motor at this point. No one would pay me by the hour, but I figure I'll pay myself rather than pay journeyman rates for a first year kids to wipe extra grease all over my truck.
Whatever right?
I've lost track of how many vehicles I've stripped down for parts.
I also derive some satisfaction from doing the job myself-successfully.

Vingiu
01-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Excellent! As difficult as Haynes manuals can be, they've saved me more than a few times... :sign0161: but they've never helped me find those nasty little oil leaks :mad0100:

I've always done my own auto work - I've grown to enjoy it over the lives of my first few vehicles, as I've never really had much cash to blow on repairs. As an 18 year old, it's been fun to learn a little about cars here and there.

My first taste of a real auto repair came from my 1989 Mazda B2600i 5 speed, whose slave cylinder decided it needed to leak all over the ground every morning and seize up in the winter, forcing me to bleed and reposition the piston.

The only other work (aside from routine maintenance) I've had to do on my vehicles was on my last one - a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. It was given to me by my boss during a financially rough patch in my life, and it became a fun project vehicle for me. It had a fair bit of work to be done, and it was quite an adventure to get it roadworthy. I replaced both front U-joints, stabilizer links and bar set, dismantled and tightened up the steering rack for an alignment, replaced the crank position sensor, added a cold-air intake, and wired up some fog lights. I sold it promptly after twelfth grade, and made some good money on it.

Although I've only owned a few vehicles, I've found auto repairs to be a worthwhile learning experience, one that'll save you a few bucks while you're at it. Best of luck to all the do-it-yourselfers out there!

Michael

TreeGuy
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Ahhh. Knuckle bustin'. :lol:

As kids, we used to pool together our 'cash', and buy a rig for about $1-200, spend the week getting it running and and 4 'bye the snot out of it on the weekend then start over on another. Good times!

Lately, it seems like I've spent more buying specialty tools for upkeep than it would have cost me to send it to the shop in the first place. Still rewarding though. :)

Then I went and bought Mrs Tree a new ride for Christmas. A modern one. I'm too scared to have even opened the hood yet! :lol:

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 01:27 AM
I've found that there is some semi usefull stuff on Youtube as well.
While the model of vehicle shown on video and getting a specific repair might not be the same vehicle as I am working on, at least it gives me an idea and I am not going in blind.
I have time to think about what I'm going to be doing while eating samiches and watching vids.

I actually gave thought to making a vid of the front end I did on my 96 GM .
Never did!

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
A modern one. I'm too scared to have even opened the hood yet! :lol:

Some of these new vehicles will not go into gear with a dead battery, or open the hood.
WTF?
You can access the battery from behind the front wheel? Just isn't right.

I like my 96 and 97 trucks. Time to look for a regular cab 3/4 ton.
I have a extended cab for possible trade????

rwm1273
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
I've been working on vehicles since I was in my early teens. I have done most everything. Engine swaps, rebuilt a couple transmissions, rebuilt several engines, rear ends, clutch changes. Some minor body work. Repainted several cars. Rebuilt alternators and starters. Brakes, front end work, electrical. Done it all. It is much easier with proper tooling, and have built up a large collection of tooling. I just don't like doing it out in the mud, rain, or snow. Once I build a bigger garage, I may install a hoist to make getting underneath easier.

I can't guess how much money I have saved myself or my family and friends by doing my own work. Too much to count.

TreeGuy
01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Some of these new vehicles will not go into gear with a dead battery, or open the hood.
WTF?
You can access the battery from behind the front wheel? Just isn't right.

I like my 96 and 97 trucks. Time to look for a regular cab 3/4 ton.
I have a extended cab for possible trade????

Worst rig I ever owned was an '86 F250 6.9l diesel. Was under the hood every second day it seemed.

God I miss it. :lol:

rwm1273
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Worst rig I ever owned was an '86 F250 6.9l diesel. Was under the hood every second day it seemed.

God I miss it. :lol:

I've owned an older Range Rover, and that needed constant maintenance mainly on the carbs, but if you drove it daily, it would actually work better. The worst vehicle I owned was a Land Rover Discovery. Issues with the heads, electrical, transmission, and body.

Tactical Lever
01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
I tinker a bit. Mostly because I am frugal. I get some satisfaction in doing it myself, after the jobs done. Just can't stand the thought of someone else doing a mickey mouse job, when I could do it myself. And not get charged an outrageous amount.

I realize that shops have a great deal of overhead and everyone's gotta eat, jobs don't go right, etc. But I try to do most of it myself. On some of the old junk I run, if I paid someone to do it, I would never be able to get rid of it, as I would have too much money into it! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Depends on the vehicle and how much down time I can live with, as I have a habit of taking things apart, scattering the parts for a couple months and then getting back into it. Y'know, for the challenge!

Mostly do little routine things, like changing fluids, lights, brakes, rotating tires, etc. Adjust timing. Clean and jet small carbs, synch the carbs on multi carb set ups (bikes). Wheel bearings on a small 4x4, water pumps, timing belts. Rebuild starters (don't think the parts are very easy to get now). CV boot (taking it apart, clean + inspect and replace seals at same time). Some painting on stuff that's not too pretty.

Going to do a clutch pretty soon (eventually), on my Sidekick. Not really looking forward to it, but it's big money at a shop.

A lot of stuff is way easier than I thought before I started fooling around with it. And I don't really trust a lot of shops, and the 16 year old kids that are doing the work. Not that they are all bad, just not worth $110/hr.

TreeGuy
01-08-2013, 01:41 AM
But do you miss them? :)

rwm1273
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
But do you miss them? :)

I miss the Range Rover. It was great in the sand. It had pep despite it only having a 3.5L engine.

The Disco I would not take one if somebody gave it too me. It was terrible as a 4x4. Top heavy, short wheel base, and would get stuck just looking at sand. It spent more time being dug out and pulled back to pavement then it did anything else.

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 01:52 AM
I miss my Dakotas.
1st was a 90, then upgraded to the 91 with a 5.2 and then a 93.
Drove them all hard.
The 91 actually ended up being about a 94 1/2 with all the new-used parts.
Front diff-Check
Transfercase - Check.
Pass door replace- Check
Did you know that some parts fron the jeep cherokees will fit on that era of Dakotas?
I found that out while bouncing around South of Coronation hunting Mule Deer.
The spigot on my pwr steering resovoir broke.
I drove another 500k w/o pwr steering. Finally found a part in edmonton at one of the wreckers.

I still have parts from my Dakotas. 2 doors, 2 front diffs, 1 front bumper, custom made headache rack. I miss the trucks but visit the parts from time to time.
Still have the frame and cab and box from my 91, sitting out East of Elk Island Park. I think there is 340,000 km on that truck.

BobNewton
01-08-2013, 02:19 AM
As a mechanic (heavy equipment). I dispise doing it after wrenching all day. There was a time in my life when I enjoyed it, but one good way to ruin a hobbey is to do it professionaly i guess.

However knowing that I can do it, i do. I cannot spend the shop rate on something I can often easily handle myself.

Unless its the wife Odyessy! Warrany is a beautiful thing!!!!

JohninAB
01-08-2013, 04:42 AM
I do almost all my own work. Enjoy the learning experience. Have tackled everything from motor work to diffs. Owning a Ford Superduty has made learning to wrench imperative.

This weekend I will be doing the top end on my snowmobile.

Mekanik
01-08-2013, 05:35 AM
As a mechanic (heavy equipment). I dispise doing it after wrenching all day. There was a time in my life when I enjoyed it, but one good way to ruin a hobbey is to do it professionaly i guess.

However knowing that I can do it, i do. I cannot spend the shop rate on something I can often easily handle myself.

Unless its the wife Odyessy! Warrany is a beautiful thing!!!!

X2 brother.

I'm finding I like it more when my customer's try it themselves. If they get it right, I get to high five them. If they don't, well, shop rate's posted and they seem to appreciate the work I do a bit more.

winged1
01-08-2013, 05:51 AM
over the years, everything from boring blocks to autotrans assembly. I miss trust anyone else working on my vehicles. I like the newer engine management systems and have invested in a few good books on the subject (Ford specific). My love of vehicles has contributed largely to my professional development over the years. Diesel, electric, hydrostatic, love it. But I will admit, when the wife has a 'problem', I'm ready to give it up.

sewerrat
01-08-2013, 06:10 AM
I like to do my own repairs, just to save some money, but when it comes to oil changes can't be bothered at the Mobil 1 oil lube I'm in and out in 15 min.
This way I don't have to deal with getting rid of the old oil, and oil dripping on my garage floor.

HunterDave
01-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Whatever I'm capable of doing myself I do. :)

billie
01-08-2013, 06:50 AM
For you old carb guys, and anyone who hates computer controlled systems, you may be interested in this guys site.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1

Easy to read in plain english that, for me, explained it and removed most of the mystery of the fuel injection systems. It's a bit dated, and based on Ford info but the concepts are not any different for any system and it's a good foundation to work from.

As to my own auto work, my project is a bare frame right now :), engine is built, tranny done.

rmatei
01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Years a ago did it all, engine R&R, all of it, but now a days I try to stay away from the big stuff. Too many computer operated components. Brakes, u-joints OK but major work is a pain. Last year when I was away hunting I called home and the wife said her turn signals were not working so I told her to just take it to Edmonton Motors have have them put in a flasher. Cost was $80 bucks. Three months later the thing crapped out again and this time I bought a better flasher than the cheap Wagners they put in.Took me all of 20 minutes, cuz the lower dash panel had to come off the Blazer. Flasher cost me $6.00. Just remember with shop rates at $120/hr you got to work 4 hrs @ $30/hr for one hour ofshop time so some rookie can practice on your vehicle. Do what your comfortable with, get to know the vehicle by doing as much as you can, you will easily save a couple of G's in a 5 year span.

pophouseman
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Interesting thread, I am always amazed when I see there are people who can actually do these things..LOL. I am NOT mechanically inclined at all. I am sure I could figure out what to do and get the proper tools to do it, but I don't think I would trust my own work, I would be white-knuckling it every time I drove after I "fixed" it. And i am super paranoid about having vehicle problems. I never drive a truck less then 3 years old. My last 2008 F150 had the cable snap in the shift lever and couldn't shift out of park. I had it towed using fords roadside assistance, got it fixed completely under warranty and put it up for sale the next day! And my dad tells me it makes no sense as I am very handy around the house and have a background in construction.....

propliner
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I do it all. I haven't had a vehicle to a mechanic in 25 years. If someone else can do it, you can do it... providing you have the right tools. Fuel injection is cake. So are transmissions. My favorite is building engines. The key is that you have to like doing these things.

Sooner
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I will do whatever i can if it saves me going to shop, somethings just have to go to a mechanic with todays vehicles.

CanuckShooter
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I just take my vehicles to an accredited shop...and pay the piper. I tried the save some money routine and after more than a few scraped knuckles, incorrect parts, busted noggins and other various mishaps I decided the grief wasn't worth the few dollars I was saving. :)

Sledhead71
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Never have paid for repairs myself, anything with Warrenty goes into the shop, but everything else into the garage :)

bruceba
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
My boys and I do all our own work except for the daughters jeep and the two rubbed through tranny cooler lines. Jeep was due for a tranny fluid change so I let them swap the lines and flush the system. As for all the other vehicles we've even installed Femco drain plugs all the way around which makes the oil changes a very quick and easy task. Engines,trannies, diff's and about every component on the rides we could do ourselfs. All that being said we all drive fords so we only have to do regular maintanance and drink beer.:)

cheier
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Great to see all the do-it-yourselfers around here. One thing I recommend, especially for those new to it, is to check out the "Eric the Car Guy" videos on YouTube. The guy does a great job in showing how all sorts of repairs are done.

I'm hoping to do an engine rebuild and upgrade soon. I'm running a 2.3L Duratec I4 engine and will be rebuilding an old block to a 9:1 compression ratio with CP pistons and Eagle rods, as well as replacing the crank. The plan is to put a turbo charger on it to see if I can push this little Focus to 300 whp. Maybe I'll have it done just in time for the Rockyview Motorsports Park to open up... :)

Selkirk
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I never worked in the trade (wish I had) and I don't have any high-end tools, but I do what I can . . .

- Engine oil changes
- Filter changes
- Minor tune-up work (but I can't always get to the *&^%$#@ plugs :mad3: )
- Tire rotations
- Chassis lube
- Manual trans oil changes
- Diff oil changes
- Rad flush & refill
- Summer/Winter tire swaps (all are on rims)
- Other minor stuff

It's nothing fancy, but it saves quite a bit over a year ($$$), and helps me to keep an eye on things. Any excuse to spend some time in the garage (Man Cave) :lol:

Best tool I ever bought for working on the vehicles, was a hydraulic floor jack from Princes Auto ... makes what little I can do, a WHOLE lot easier!

Wrench On! :happy0034:

TF

leeaspell
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I try to do as much as I can. I may not break any speed records but I usually manage to get er done. Only bad part is I don't have a garage so winter fixes are usually kinda cold and my beer freezes.

Only problem I ever have is i allways seem to have extra pieces left over when I'm done. Not sure why they build trucks with so many extra nuts and bolts lol

Mistagin
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I used to do a fair amount of general maintenance work on my vehicles and equipment, but as things got more complicated I couldn't be bothered. Then we moved to Ft. McMurray - YIKES!!! some hourly shop rates here are over $200.00 / hour!!! :sign0176:

So I started doing repairs again. I enjoy doing it when I have time. I get a sense of satisfaction and pride out of doing the repairs I can do.

Now, I do appreciate mechanics and what they can do, and I know I can't do a lot of what they do. And, having owned a carpentry / woodworking shop, I can appreciate the costs and overhead of having a shop for commercial purposes, but I refuse to pay for what I can do myself on my vehicles. And I'm learning there is a lot more I can do than I thought I could do :).

I do all the maintenance work on our quad and outboard motor. Note: many years ago I used to work in the shop at a marine and snowmobile dealership so learned a bit about that kind of thing :).

Example why I picked up the wrenches again: after getting a price at a local shop of over $1,600.00 to replace rotors, pads, drums and shoes on our 04 Tribute (brake lines had all been replaced already), and discovered the cost of the parts was just around $400.00, I redid the brakes on that Tribute last year, took me about 5 hours. Hmmmmmmm!

I also do my own winter and summer wheel changes (they are on rims), that takes me about 3/4 hour or so - first time I had it done at CT it cost me an hour shop rate, so I bought a shop jack and a set of axle stands.

When the weather warms up and my garage isn't so cold I'll be replacing power steering components on the Tribute, and replacing the exhaust. Knowing what I'm saving by doing it myself, and knowing I'll be learning some more stuff, makes me look forward to doing it.

Fisherpeak
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
All my older trucks were easy(relitively) to work on. but Vortex and such,I can`t even see where stuff is and the old lady`s new Hyundia SUV...........meh.Oil and the like is fine but everything else,to the shop.Under carriage I can do ,but trans and engine I take it to a shop.
Damn vehicles got smarter than I used to be.
By the way,I take my truck to Great Canadian Oil Change here but I always stop at Timmie`s and bring a 6 pack of assorted donuts for the crew.
Talk about preferred service!I have 5 guys crawling my truck,checking diff levels,trans,looking for any leaks, the window fluid and rad,and topping it all up.Even wash my windshield and lights...For Free.Cost me $55 for oil change and all the other happiness.
They don`t get many tips,they love it when somebody gives a damn about how they work.6 donuts=$40 worth of extra effort.Not bad for a $4 investment.Try it sometime.:sHa_shakeshout:

32-40win
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I used to do most of my own stuff on my old CJ, I got tired of it after about 10 yrs. Wasn't much on it I didn't do. On the Toyota after that, I installed the winch, changed rear brakes once, changed the wshr motor, swapped tires, that was all I needed to do to it, and was willing to do myself anymore.
New Toyota, haven't needed to do anything yet. I get free oil changes, anything else is up to how much ambition I have towards it.
There are other things I can be doing, than twisting wrenches on my vehicles.

Stinky Buffalo
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I do maintenance and the "bolt-on" repairs - even get to have my daughter help me with things like doing brakes and stuff... Good "father/daughter time". :)

Problem is now, I can't afford to be without my ride from day to day, and don't have a lot of spare time or room to work on our vehicles... Is fun when I get into it, though. When I can, getting it done myself is satisfying.

Played around with fuel-saving gadgets when I was single (and before kids) so that was fun too.

So yeah, I pay the piper when time is short. I do love haing trucks though - I find them to be more accessible and durable.

chewydog
01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I do all my own maintenance, oil changes, plugs whatever I need. I just pay myself 100 bucks an hour then go buy something with it.

My biggest fix was a new transfer case in a 90 chevy 4x4, it was a great tank.

DiabeticKripple
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Hardest thing I did was swap all 8 injectors on a 03 duramax.

My car I've done exhaust, oil changes, coolant flush, headlights, replaced the front body panels, swapped new seats in, brake flush.

Mekanik
01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I used to do a fair amount of general maintenance work on my vehicles and equipment, but as things got more complicated I couldn't be bothered. Then we moved to Ft. McMurray - YIKES!!! some hourly shop rates here are over $200.00 / hour!!! :sign0176:.

Let me know if you ever need a hand or have questions. If I'm available, I'll be happy to help.

.Even wash my windshield and lights...For Free.Cost me $55 for oil change and all the other happiness.
They don`t get many tips,they love it when somebody gives a damn about how they work.6 donuts=$40 worth of extra effort.Not bad for a $4 investment.Try it sometime.:sHa_shakeshout:

Trust me, mechanics will work harder every time for a guy bringing in coffee and doughnuts. You won't even have to do it every time. We have some great clients who we worked heavily for and then went even more when they brought Christmas goodies in. Those names stick in our heads. Carrots on a stick work a lot more then just the stick.

couleefolk
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
i try to keep an extra 1 or 2 vehicles registered so i can work on my own vehicles without the pressure of having to get it done. with a little ambition, you can fix almost anything yourself on the 2000 down vehicles. tbi has got to be the easiest to work with. my 83 sunbird tbi still starts right up, brakes set me back about $40 for all 4, $100 for the rad, plugs are still the cheap ones, $60 for the clutch kit. just spent $135 though on our 99 tahoe to get some guy down south to eliminate the vats system from the computer, along with some other stuff. this i don't know how to do, but so far was worth every penny since the tahoe hasn't failed to start. my biggest learning expierence was a ford f150 which i had to fix almost every weekend. after i got tired of no free weekends, i switched to chevy and started getting out again, but didn't learn as much anymore about vehicles. i wish we had the internet back in the day, boy would jobs have gone faster with all the tips and tricks. like was said by someone else, if i would have got a career fixing vehicles i probably would not enjoy them like i do now. hoping to get my 3rd pickup registered this summer, a little 1990 2wd stepside c1500, hopefully dropped 3-4".

Thrillbilly
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
when i owned older vehicles i used to do alot of work my self i built a 81 bronco for mudding and that was quite the project. I dont do anything on my 2011 f150 i took one loook under the hood and decided id do more harm then good if i ever tried to do anythign on it.

outandabout
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Once I took a old bush truck to the shop to get a small section of brake line replaced that grounded out between the motor and frame...wanted $1000 to do whole brake job:mad0030:! Last time any of my autos were in the shop.
I have rebuilt trannys, swapped engines, instaled lockers in axles and almost everything in between. Not a mechanic by no means...did alot of research and took my time and everything that I know of are still on the road:).
Bought the tools that I needed as I went...watched for sales and saved for the good tools rather then the dollar store deals.

Tactical Lever
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I try to do as much as I can. I may not break any speed records but I usually manage to get er done. Only bad part is I don't have a garage so winter fixes are usually kinda cold and my beer freezes.

Only problem I ever have is i allways seem to have extra pieces left over when I'm done. Not sure why they build trucks with so many extra nuts and bolts lol

I hear you there! On both counts. Tackle a lot more stuff since I've had a garage. When I replaced a CV boot after a long painful stretch of walking by and looking at it, I had realized after almost everything was buttoned up with new bearings, a few new seals, new rotor, I found the brake shroud was left off.

"Oh well, it'll go faster without all that extra weight, plus cool the rotor better!"
As I kicked it out of sight. :sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I could never afford new or for others to do mechanic work, so I bought used and did repairs myself. I built a 2000 sq ft shop, loaded it with tools, equipment, and a 4 post lift over the years, bet I have saved enough to pay for the tools and shop.
Several times locally recently I have been quoted 4-6 hours for jobs that took me less than an hour, including upper control arm swap, spark plug change, and 8-12 hours to do cam phasers.
I got help for that one. :)

DiabeticKripple
01-08-2013, 10:04 PM
my car is the easiest thing to work on. 07 G5 GT 4 banger. everything is so easy to get to and take off.

caver77
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Have worked on a little bit of everything. From farm and construction equipment to my personal vehicles. If I have the time I will do it. The last thing I did was ball joints and tie rod ends on my mini van, but have done head gaskets to transmissions, to rebuilding and complete replacements, even painting. Only thing I have not messed with yet is front windshields. I'm tool junky and cant help myself, so then I have to work on my own vehicles to justify it. :)

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Have worked on a little bit of everything. From farm and construction equipment to my personal vehicles. If I have the time I will do it. The last thing I did was ball joints and tie rod ends on my mini van, but have done head gaskets to transmissions, to rebuilding and complete replacements, even painting. Only thing I have not messed with yet is front windshields. I'm tool junky and cant help myself, so then I have to work on my own vehicles to justify it. :)

Tool junky! Have I got a deal for you! :sHa_shakeshout:

Like Snap on? :)

sako1
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I could never afford new or for others to do mechanic work, so I bought used and did repairs myself. I built a 2000 sq ft shop, loaded it with tools, equipment, and a 4 post lift over the years, bet I have saved enough to pay for the tools and shop.
Several times locally recently I have been quoted 4-6 hours for jobs that took me less than an hour, including upper control arm swap, spark plug change, and 8-12 hours to do cam phasers.

Its always a nice surprize when i walk into a guys garage and he has a ton of nice tools and even a lift.I can appreciate that.

Tactical Lever
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Then I built the Batmobile!

Sorry Ken! I couldn't help myself! It just begged to be added! :sHa_shakeshout:

Tactical Lever
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
If anyone needs a bearing pressed I bought a 12 ton(?), for what I hope isn't a 1 time use. I had to have saved at least $10 on that job!

Sneeze
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
My next DIY tool purchase is going to be the necessary presses and forks to replace pitman, idler & u joints on stupid chevy front ends. I swear I have given mechanics over 10k in my short life replacing front ends.

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Sorry Ken! I couldn't help myself! It just begged to be added! :sHa_shakeshout:

LOL!!!

I built my own house, shop, am a handy guy but that is waaay over my head :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dacotensis
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
My next DIY tool purchase is going to be the necessary presses and forks to replace pitman, idler & u joints on stupid chevy front ends. I swear I have given mechanics over 10k in my short life replacing front ends.

Rent the press kit from Partsource.
I did when I did the ball joints on my 1 ton. Easy peazy!

I figured, why buy? for a one time job.