PDA

View Full Version : Oil rig winter clothing

Bini
01-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi im going to work on a drilling rig in Alberta canada for the first time, it gets really cold here, i need some advices on winter gear
So far i have

Baffin boots
Bag of green king gloves
Thermal longjohns and a regular cotton one
3 pairs of 50% wool sox and other warm sox
2 fleece sweaters
Helly hansen face mask
I only have 1 work glasses

Im gonna be working 20 days 10 off. Im greener than grass

Pls can u recommend me other things i need? Thank you

TreeGuy
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
IMHO a good set of HH rain gear (hood free) is vital to have while tripping. Especially with invert. Good luck with the new job! :)

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the World of AO.
I am a fan of the Helly Hansen insulated and lined full length coveralls.
They will run you about $300, but worth every dime. IMO.

As for mitts, I am using Gander gloves wtih a removeable liner.
They are the best and most durrable I have found.

Sorry, I can't advise you on the socks, out of my league!

Tactical Lever
01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Found the super heavy weight boots to be too hot and too bulky until it gets below -35. Usually ran lined leather, all but a couple days.

My hand were a different story, and always had trouble keeping them warm. Hycron gloves are the best when it's not too cold, and you're handling oil + varsol. When it gets colder, the winter Monkey Grips are a little warmer, more flexible, but they don't last as long. Light fleece gloves inside help a lot. If you are not handling anything too dirty, cheap welding gloves are surprisingly warm. And remember, leather ropers and Green Kings are dry cleanable.

Picked up some Tough Duck winter coveys on sale once. Just as durable as anything out there, but priced better than Carhart. I liked to wear them underneath summer coveralls to stretch out the time in between cleanings. At which time I would do them in my washer with lots of PA water soluble degreaser, pre-treated, with oxy booster, detergent, more degreaser and hot water.

Made myself an air exchanger too, with a scarf and a piece of copper pot scrubber. Keeps the air your inhaling, warmer.

Get a couple of good hard hat liners, a couple of cheap fleece scarves. Ear plugs, if they are not provided (Howard Leight 2 are probably the best). Helly Hanson fluffy underwear is probably the best. Wool is great too, although it usually takes a little while to get used to. Fleece pants to go over top of the Hellys.

Welcome to the site.

pike_king780
01-08-2013, 04:21 AM
make sure you grab pair of winter insulated bibs (FR of course) they will help maintain your core body temps, dunlop boots, or the baffins, as well as some nice FR beleclavas, theyre life savers!! good luck!!

sheep nut
01-08-2013, 05:57 AM
I would wear a few different sets.

Up to -15 it would be heavy HH long Johns with light summer fire resistant coveralls, heavy wool socks and summer steel toed rubber boots.

-15 to -25 it would be light HH long Johns, heavy HH coveralls and big snow pack boots.

After -26 heavy everything.

Can't stress enough about buying good clothes. That was 16 years ago and I still use most of it.

yoteblaster
01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Throw your green kings in the wash BEFORE you use them for the first time. It packs down the fibre and they will last much longer. Also write your initials on them inside the cuff with black marker. Several good pair of rubber coated gloves for wet tripping would definitely be needed. I always used Monkey Grip. Good luck!

spazzy
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Those Baffin boots are good for - 25+ but a pair of green dunlop ranpro boot's are the best thing going for grip and keeping your feet dry be sure to get some bamma sock's and when picking the size wear the bamma socks . HH long jhon's are worth every penny and the soft pile is great but you can usually find a heavy sweater / hoody that has the same effect check mark's work wearhouse out .

caver77
01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
20 days for your first hitch, mental preparation might be just as much a part of sticking with this job. If your out of a motel not such a big deal to be short on things but if you're working in a camp you better stock up on a few things.

Baffin boots
Bag of green king gloves
2 fleece sweaters
Helly hansen face mask

to this add at least: an extra set of boot liners, if you can afford it a pair of dunlop boots ( the good to minus -40 neoprene ones which are good to about -35), hh rain gear( i liked a hood) the flex sets seemed to tear less on the tubluars than the pvc, a roll of duct tape and and some goop glue for fixing said rain gear when it does tear, take the green king gloves back and get a bunch of cottons form the dollar store or princess auto and a pack of the red dipped ones from Marks or wherever ( I only ever saw one person wear them(the green ones), and they won't fit as liners), I also used heavy gauntlet style waterproof ones from century/vallen that would fit over liners when tripping lots to keep my arms a little drier, another pair of glasses, hh hat and neck warmer, try to stay away from the cotton long johns(they'll work a bit) they stay/get so soggy and then don't hardly keep you warm at all go synthetic or wool, at least another pair of socks or two(I had to use two pair a day to keep my feet in shape), some mole skin or tape to keep blisters down, good set a coveralls and coat in addition to hopefully at least two sets of overalls ( they should issue you one and ask for or buy one more set.) Mark your stuff with a sharpie.
Good luck and be safe.

Bound2Fish
01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
What job are you going to be doing on the rig? If you are going to be a lease hand or even a roughneck green king gloves might not be the best choice. Get yourself a decent bib and warm clothing. Make sure if anything has a hood, it is detachable otherwise you wont be able to wear it. Be careful with the H/H gear as some is not approved. Also make sure that everything is up to industry standards. Hard hat liners are a great idea as previously mentioned. As someone else said, the great big insulated boots are not always a good idea. I run the dunlop boots with enough room for an extra pair of socks. Make sure you have LOTS of socks and buy good socks.

caver77
01-08-2013, 08:56 AM
oh, and some bottom felt boot inserts/insoles two pairs

AdverseCity
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Plenty of good suggestions so I'll just add my favorite piece. The warmest hard hat liner ever, it's naturally flame resistant but some places have made me put a Nomex one over it.

http://eglifarm.com/product_info.php/cPath/82/products_id/659

They also have boot liners and other warm gear, not cheap but very worth it.

Bini
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Thank you guys, yea im a leasehand on Champion Rig 357. Anyone know abiut this rig?

caver77
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Don't know about that one, I worked 32(conventional old pirate 2 rig) had a great push Dean Fokker, and my brother worked 56(nice newer adr)(Mark,can't remember his last name-soso push). Be prepared for a lot of mopping and cleaning for the first few weeks.Hoping for a good crew for you. Take care of yourself.

wildcat111
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Those Baffin boots are good for - 25+ but a pair of green dunlop ranpro boot's are the best thing going for grip and keeping your feet dry be sure to get some bamma sock's and when picking the size wear the bamma socks . HH long jhon's are worth every penny and the soft pile is great but you can usually find a heavy sweater / hoody that has the same effect check mark's work wearhouse out .

x2 plus don't forget hard hat liner, i used to use them white glove liners and a pair of rubber gloves on the real cold days i would just double up on the liners, helly hansen raingear is a must, as for winter coveralls never owned a pair, its really cold and they tend to turn into a brick when there wet, most guys including myself would just wear lots of layers under a pair of coveralls, plus helly hansen long johns!!! i would also sew a bunch of pockets on the inside of my coveralls and keep greenkings in them, this helps on rig moves when your not real active and your hands freeze, always a warm pair, and another trick i used to do when i worked up in the stick in the -30's was i would buy them heat patches for sore muscles and put them on my back, they last a long time and do keep you quite warm.good luck

GlorifiedHabit
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
UnderArmour heat gear and cold gear. Their stuff works great. Ive got some clothing articles I don't use any more, an older Nomex blue insulated coat and a brand new Carrhart insulated overalls if your interested.

big_plinker
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
If you're working lease then definitely a yes on the HH wet gear.

Insulated coveralls are great if you're outside shovelling pathways, but if they've got you scrubbing the sub and pump house, which I'm pretty sure they will if you're green, you'll want some thermal underwear, fleece pants and pull-over, a bag of wet gloves and a couple dozen of those silly micheal jachson white liner gloves. All underneath those HH wet gear. DO NOT cheap out on the wet gear, it'll last for ever if you spend the money, if you don't it'll rip your first night and your hitch will start of on a rather sour note. Usually safety glasses are supplied.

And socks, enough to change a couple times a shift; warm dry feet makes a huge difference in your life out there, and three weeks is a looong hitch for your first go.
just grin and bare it and you'll be an old hand in no time:)

Presuming you'll be working with invert, ask the place you bought your boots at how they stand up to it. I've seen $170 dollar boots ballon to three times there size when they get exposed to that ****; funny, but not practicle. Some steel toed rubber boots you can get a couple of pairs of good socks into will work just as well.
good luck

pikeslayer22
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
For the hands all I ever wore we're the white cotton liners or roping gloves and 2 pair of green apes

79ford
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
gloves with removable liners... lots of liners for gloves and lots of socks. Nothing worse than wet feet or wet hands, going and grabbing a nice dry pair of socks when your feet get wet from sweat or whatever breathes a whole new life into the day lol.

If you are allowed get leather bear paw mits and lots of those white liners.

And when you are out there just give er, be safe and dont sweat the angry dumb people.... The rigs can attract some real winners

Rich3322
12-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I spent the last 2 years working in North Dakota. The most important thing is staying dry you need to buy clothing made of products that will wick away moisture from your body. Cotton is not your friend, materials like that will hold mositure to your body and make you wet. Couple that with the wind and the freezing temperertures and it's a wrap.... your gonna freeze. You have to stay dry. Buy poloyproplyne long underwear smartwool socks. I recommend a carhart insulated overalls. And try and find a really good pair of industrial stregnth ice cleats like the Spiky or the Spiky Plus brand ( www.spiky.com )

Also make sure to get some polorized ski goggles but make sure they are polizied. If not the sun will reflect off the snow and can burn your retinas.

4thredneck
12-15-2015, 01:40 PM
I spent the last 2 years working in North Dakota. The most important thing is staying dry you need to buy clothing made of products that will wick away moisture from your body. Cotton is not your friend, materials like that will hold mositure to your body and make you wet. Couple that with the wind and the freezing temperertures and it's a wrap.... your gonna freeze. You have to stay dry. Buy poloyproplyne long underwear smartwool socks. I recommend a carhart insulated overalls. And try and find a really good pair of industrial stregnth ice cleats like the Spiky or the Spiky Plus brand ( www.spiky.com )

Also make sure to get some polorized ski goggles but make sure they are polizied. If not the sun will reflect off the snow and can burn your retinas.

Pretty sure he's been laid off already, this is a two year old thread!

Z7Extreme
12-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Get the little white glove liners for inside your greenkings and prewash your greenkings

Z7Extreme
12-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Get the little white glove liners for inside your greenkings and prewash your greenkings

Haha never looked at the date. Thought it was wierd a greenhand was goin to work in these tough times

Zip
12-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Haha never looked at the date. Thought it was wierd a greenhand was goin to work in these tough times

How did you manage to come across a 2 year old thread? Sorry But I just have to ask. I think it is rather funny, funny in a good way!:):)
Zip:)

220swifty
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
I realize this is a 2 year old thread, so I will update it for 2015

-sweat pants, or flannel pyjamas
- slippers

That's all.

Johnson4
12-15-2015, 03:13 PM
How are you new to the rigs and getting a job when times are tough like this and lots of experienced guys aren't working

Johnson4
12-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Didn't realize old thread

4thredneck
12-15-2015, 04:37 PM

- slippers

That's all.

Flame retardant?

coreya3212
12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Going back to work in January. Guess what province this rig won't be drilling in.

Talking moose
12-15-2015, 05:23 PM

- slippers

That's all.

Get the high top slippers, this time of the year the snow can be brutal on the way to the mail box to collect pogey cheque...:)

DiabeticKripple
12-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Flame retardant?

of course cause when you fall asleep on the couch with the fireplace on, youll still be protected if she catches

gulfman
12-15-2015, 05:42 PM

- slippers

That's all.

Sad.... but true

4thredneck
12-15-2015, 05:42 PM

- slippers

That's all.

4thredneck
12-15-2015, 05:43 PM
of course cause when you fall asleep on the couch with the fireplace on, youll still be protected if she catches

What was I thinking.

rusty99
12-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Man I needed a good laugh today. Thanks guys! I was just starting to feel down out being out of work and some green hand found work and I haven't. Funny stuff. Keep your spirits high everyone! Hang in there, never give up.
Cheers
Rusty

ForwardBias
12-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Get the high top slippers, this time of the year the snow can be brutal on the way to the mail box to collect pogey cheque...:)

haha

220swifty
12-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Flame retardant?
Depends on the wife. If she's still around and bitter about you cutting into her online shopping time, because you're tying up the computer trolling for jobs, then flame retardant would be good. If you want to impress the safety hand, step it up a notch and go stab resistant too.

Veteran advice right there. I get home delivery, but if you are stuck with a superbox, this is worth heeding. If you have elastic cuffs in your sweats, pull them over your slipper cuffs. I call this the 'domestic gaiter'. Also handy when the wife makes you smoke outside, but she hasn't shovelled the doorstep off yet.

IR_mike
12-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Also handy when the wife makes you smoke outside, but she hasn't shovelled the doorstep off yet.

Why would you have allowed her back inside to begin with?

58thecat
12-16-2015, 12:35 AM
2013 now 2015 more than likely sitting at home....:snapoutofit:

brslk
12-16-2015, 12:58 AM

HAHAHAHAHA! oh oh... hahahaha... don't want the wife to hear me laughing at that.

Z7Extreme
12-16-2015, 04:12 AM
How did you manage to come across a 2 year old thread? Sorry But I just have to ask. I think it is rather funny, funny in a good way!:):)
Zip:)

Someone else commented on it before me which bumped it to the top.

Twist
12-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Going back to work in January. Guess what province this rig won't be drilling in.

Alberta? What do I win?

220swifty
12-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Because I couldn't afford the stab resistant hoodie.

janearnold
01-29-2016, 04:52 AM
Hi im going to work on a drilling rig in Alberta canada for the first time, it gets really cold here, i need some advices on winter gear
So far i have

Baffin boots
Bag of green king gloves
2 fleece sweaters
Helly hansen face mask

Im gonna be working 20 days 10 off. Im greener than grass

Pls can u recommend me other things i need? Thank you

Hey..

I know I am too late to reply here.. I got this thread when I was searching for the same thing. I am also moving to Canada for my business purpose. I have packed everything that you have described here. Your this post helped me alot to remind what more should i carry with me. One thing that you have missed here is Cap.

When I was searching for a good quality knit cap. I visited a number of online shopping website. Then I visited City Hunter Cap USA and I bought a Bucket Hat (http://www.cityhuntercapusa.com/) from there

I am happy with the product.

Here is my cap.

http://www.cityhuntercapusa.com/images.asp?image=bd1650_love.jpg&pic=M

super7mag
01-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Hey..

I know I am too late to reply here.. I got this thread when I was searching for the same thing. I am also moving to Canada for my business purpose. I have packed everything that you have described here. Your this post helped me alot to remind what more should i carry with me. One thing that you have missed here is Cap.

When I was searching for a good quality knit cap. I visited a number of online shopping website. Then I visited City Hunter Cap USA and I bought a Bucket Hat (http://www.cityhuntercapusa.com/) from there

I am happy with the product.

Here is my cap.

http://www.cityhuntercapusa.com/images.asp?image=bd1650_love.jpg&pic=M

^^^^^ That is some great PPE, I can actually visualize a few posters wearing one, during their Daily post frenzy.

Aminp
01-15-2022, 04:40 PM
I would wear a few different sets.

Up to -15 it would be heavy HH long Johns with light summer fire resistant coveralls, heavy wool socks and summer steel toed rubber boots.

-15 to -25 it would be light HH long Johns, heavy HH coveralls and big snow pack boots.

After -26 heavy everything.

Can't stress enough about buying good clothes. That was 16 years ago and I still use most of it.

Any Brand Suggestion for after -26?

Greatwest
01-15-2022, 06:33 PM

Just realized this is an old thread. Deleted my comment.

lmtada
01-15-2022, 06:34 PM

Hide in manifold shack…..:sHa_shakeshout: looks like 7 year old thread…

RandyBoBandy
01-15-2022, 07:04 PM

https://i.imgur.com/WqDXmls.jpg