PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Equipment in Alberta

buggyskinner_657
01-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Hello. I was just wondering who out there has come across abandoned heavy equipment (earthmoving, logging, mining, ect) in the Alberta wilderness? I know they are out there. Let us know what you saw and where it was.

Reeves1
01-08-2013, 04:12 AM
I've come across lots over the years.
Never tell anyone about them.
Don't want people pulling them out for scrap or to sell for parts.

DeNomad
01-08-2013, 06:05 AM
I agree with Reeves1. Unless that equipment involves a multi day hike into the back country it will get vandalized. It is nice to see pics (without GPS tags) of that sort of thing.

Best I ever found was a helicopter. I contacted the company which owns it, apparently they had to put down for an engine problem and were going back for it in a day or two.

Batwoman
01-08-2013, 07:34 AM
My two cents - don't post any photos of equipment as this site is open for lurking too and anyone who is looking to take something that does not belong to them may look in that fashion........and then many photos give some landmarks so wrong doers might find an otherwise safe piece of equipment .... I have to say it amazes me too the stuff that seems to be left behind. Seems kind of sad in some instances.

And my hubby is surely going to understand this one -- I don't want anyone to find the piece I hope to one day purchase or beg from the owner just cause I think we need one. :)

catnthehat
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
The Bitument plant on the Athabasca is a prime example - it has been raped over the years so that barely nothing is left .
Just because something is left there does not give people the right to take it.:sign0161:
Cat

sourdough doug
01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Makes me wonder if we are seeing the establishment of a new salvage (wilderness) company...

Redneck Renagade
01-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Makes me wonder if we are seeing the establishment of a new salvage (wilderness) company...

That sounds like a new discovery Chanel hit series.

Lefty-Canuck
01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Hello. I was just wondering who out there has come across abandoned heavy equipment (earthmoving, logging, mining, ect) in the Alberta wilderness? I know they are out there. Let us know what you saw and where it was.

I think your user name gives away your reasons for asking with your first post the location of these items....could try to be a little bit more discreet....or just tell us what type of company you run :)

LC

CanuckShooter
01-08-2013, 08:10 AM
The Bitument plant on the Athabasca is a prime example - it has been raped over the years so that barely nothing is left .
Just because something is left there does not give people the right to take it.:sign0161:
Cat

You don't believe in finders keepers?? :)

When I see those abandoned plants and mills it makes me wonder why they are not required to clean up those sites?? Some people may be Ok just watching them rust and crumble, I'd rather see them cleaned up.

Pincherguy
01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
That sounds like a new discovery Chanel hit series.

:angry3:Ph crap, more reality shows!!! Thas all we need

JB_AOL
01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
When I see those abandoned plants and mills it makes me wonder why they are not required to clean up those sites?? Some people may be Ok just watching them rust and crumble, I'd rather see them cleaned up.

Actually.. They ARE required to return them to a natural state.

Thing is, it's the last thing a O&G company will/want to spend money on.

Sooner
01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Late 60's car and a early 70's pick up. Both up to their doors in muskeg just off the cutline. Left behind a long time ago. Trees were getting almost as tall as the vehicles and that was where we hunted some 15 + yrs ago.

FishingFrenzy
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
There's an old 40's or 50's car back in some dense trees in Nosehill Park, Calgary. Makes a guy wonder how the hell it got there...and who didn't want it.. I bet its a good story.

1899b
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Cat

Bitumount was deemed a Historical Resource and site back in Dec 4/1974. Shot many ruffies as a kid up there....

Hagalaz
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Found an old backhoe buried up past the axles well off of the Forest Trunk
Road. It looked to be an older model, probably early 1960s. Some parts had been removed from it and it was riddled with bullet holes.

Other than that, I haven't found anything else (equipment related).

thirty-30
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
This one is common knowledge to the locals, here.

Can't get where it is by road anymore.. haven't been able to for many years.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/273/f/d/this_old_truck___by_entropickitten-d5gfdfu.jpg

I know of a big old abandoned ex army truck to... 6X6

catnthehat
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
You don't believe in finders keepers?? :)

NOPE! if I see something in the bush leave it right where it is, be it a small boat, block and tackle, old trufer, or whatever - if it's a site may report it if it hasn'tr been cleaned up however.
Cat

omega50
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
BS657 is trying to rape your outdoor knowledge for their own profit on their 1st post.IMO

Why is this thread still here?

catnthehat
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
This guy really seems to be doing nothing more than fishinng, i agree.
I don't think he will be very successful however- lkely had the grey matter scrambled a bit too much from running 657's!!:sHa_sarcasticlol::sign0161:
Cat

Mutter87
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I did a Portage out when I was around 10, Saw some old 1940's ford in the boggy grass on the other side of the river, No bridge to get to the land so I always wondered how it got there. I like looking at the old homesteaders residences along the dirt roads while out to go fishing, Would like to hear the stories some of these (Old abandoned homes, vehicles, farm equipment in the woods) could tell.

On another note, In the Bowhunter magazine, It says those old abandoned homes make great bowhunting blinds,.

thumper
01-08-2013, 01:56 PM
On the other hand, it disturbs me to see what people abandon in the bush - derelict vehicles, mounds of rusty tin cans, piles of broken glass, junked equipment of all types, both industrial (logging/mining) and farming. If someone years and years ago decided to use the bush as their dump and then abandon it - why should others respect the eyesore forever? If someone can make use of it - why not get it out of the bush?

catnthehat
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
What some [people considerd abandoned and fair game , is not alwyas the case.
there is a big difference between a historical site and a truck that obviously has been gorwn over and left 50 years ago, because it broke down and was left to rot.
Some people don't seem to make a distinction between one and the other, or a set of traps left under a tree from season to season or a chainsaw left under a canoe.
Cat

Tipperary
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM

I saw tons of abandoned heavy equipment in Afghanistan. Tanks, air planes, other armoured vehicles, you name it, it's there.

If you want to recover those items though, you will have to battle taliban and IEDs... Although that might be easier than getting information from our members on here!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

bigshell
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Seen plenty of cool old vehicles out hunting in Sk.Especialy hunting along the NSk river.Alot of abandonded home steads I really wish I woulda had a camera to photgraph them overgrown yards

GlorifiedHabit
01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I saw a small lake/big pond from the air with old cars lining the entire shoreline.
That was neat.

Dacotensis
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I saw a small lake/big pond from the air with old cars lining the entire shoreline.
That was neat.

Sounds like a good blind location for a goose shoot.

GlorifiedHabit
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah that's a good idea.

thumper
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't think we need more derelict vehicles in/along our waterways.
(Kootenay River near Wasa BC)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1040698_zps3747bf0e.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1040699_zps1892ac1a.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/posters%20for%20forums/P1040700_zpsb458eee9.jpg

TreeGuy
01-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I agree with, Thumper. Let's get rid of the trash. The time frame the littering occurred should matter little.

North Ghost several years back.....

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/1452.jpg

xxclaro
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeah,that's pretty ugly.Would be nice to see it cleaned up,I guess nobody wants to spend the money to do it though,and I'm guessing it would cost a bit.
As for abandones stuff,I absolutely love abandoned homesteads and buildings. I sometimes just tour around the backroads with a camera and stop at the various places I find to take pictures.
I can't help but wonder who lived there,what their lives were like,why the place was abandoned etc.Just fascinates me,especially seeing teh little things left ebhind that give you little clues into their lives.

thumper
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Abandoned homesteads are cool. Owls need a place to live too!

fordtruckin
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Cat

Yup. Where I went to school in Washington State there was a couple WWII era bombers that crashed up in the Blue's. Needless to say everyone that went up there to find them took whatever they could.

Redneck Tommy
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I know where a big old boiler is but it's location is best kept safe

GregT
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I agree with, Thumper. Let's get rid of the trash. The time frame the littering occurred should matter little.

North Ghost several years back.....

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/1452.jpg

call the kidney foundation, you'll get $50 and they say they'll tow it for free! ;)

verminator
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Although it might be expensive to remove the truck and car from the river, all they would really need to do is get the vin number and have the owners remove it at there expense if they weren't stolen.

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I saw tons of abandoned heavy equipment in Afghanistan. Tanks, air planes, other armoured vehicles, you name it, it's there.

If you want to recover those items though, you will have to battle taliban and IEDs... Although that might be easier than getting information from our members on here!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Oh you mean off road X! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Daddy Badger
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Nice try.

Why don't you post an ad?

jaylow?
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
if your in the fort mac area ever, take a cruise down tower road. within half a km you'll be in for a real treat.

Jimboy
01-09-2013, 03:04 AM

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/273/f/d/this_old_truck___by_entropickitten-d5gfdfu.jpg

l,d haul tha sucker outta there if l was you , see the motor still in it too:sHa_shakeshout:

matathonman
01-09-2013, 04:11 AM
OP was specifically asking about heave equipment. If heavy equipment was salvagable Im sure the company would've made efforts to retrieve. A little pirateing going on?

pickrel pat
01-09-2013, 05:03 AM
If its ABANDONED, why not tell op? rather see natural settings out in the bush instead of old rusty junk!

1899b
01-09-2013, 06:09 AM
If its ABANDONED, why not tell op? rather see natural settings out in the bush instead of old rusty junk!

Exactly. The majority of this stuff is litter anyway. Just on a larger scale. Whether its an old pilsner can or an old inoperable D8 Cat. Rusted junk is rusted junk.....

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 04:01 AM
I think your user name gives away your reasons for asking with your first post the location of these items....could try to be a little bit more discreet....or just tell us what type of company you run :)

LC

Yeah I own a large scale earthmoving company. I want to rape parts off old relic machines 100 miles in the bush because I am too cheap to go to finning and buy new parts. I just love taking whatever is good and trashing the rest.

I'm just a guy with a camera and a trike who is enthusiastic about old iron.

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Nice try.

Why don't you post an ad?

Hello. My name is Hue Jass. I own a large scale logging company integrated with a large scale mining and earthworks company. We run nothing but top notch iron but are too cheap to buy new parts. We are currently seeking out old rusted relic equipment that nobody wants anymore. Preferably in remote locations that are a bitch to get to. Many of these old parts are still interchangeable. We take what we want and vandalize the rest. A little rust never hurt anyone. Any historic sites I can destroy on the way is a bonus too. Why not gimme a call at 911-9119

Need I go on? If you still dont believe me call the number and ask for "The Chief" Dont know what everyone's trip is about. Sure are some retarded folks on this site.:bad_boys_20:

1899b
01-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Hello. My name is Hue Jass. I own a large scale logging company integrated with a large scale mining and earthworks company. We run nothing but top notch iron but are too cheap to buy new parts. We are currently seeking out old rusted relic equipment that nobody wants anymore. Preferably in remote locations that are a bitch to get to. Many of these old parts are still interchangeable. We take what we want and vandalize the rest. A little rust never hurt anyone. Any historic sites I can destroy on the way is a bonus too. Why not gimme a call at 911-9119

Need I go on? If you still dont believe me call the number and ask for "The Chief" Dont know what everyone's trip is about. Sure are some retarded folks on this site.:bad_boys_20:

Hey hey!!! Easy their partner!! Retarded folks??? We at AO are pretty sensitive folk and rather the term "socially challenged" please! Carry on..... :)

waterhawk
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Get ready for a whole bunch of abuse because you are obviously an Indian!

catnthehat
01-10-2013, 06:54 AM

The "trip"?
We have had a lot of trolls on here lately, PETA members, etc. and anybody who makes a first post like yours is automatically under suspicion.
This post you made here is nothing but sarcastic B.S., which furthr infuriates people.
Cat

colin455
01-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Uh-oh. You done and peeved Cat. He's one of our more tolerant, moderate members.

It is true that there is a larger number of new folks arriving at a hunting/fishing/outdoor enthuast forum with a penchant to be disruptive or asking for advice on performing illegal/immoral activities.
Those of us that attend this site have a true outdoors passion and don't appreciate the unwanten intrusion or attempts at baiting.
As the saying goes, "Don't come to my house and pee on the carpet and expect not to be spanked".
If you find that you are 'snapped at', and feel it was unjust - simply explain yourself better and you will most likely find we are an aimable, forgiving folk. We were all new once. If you feel that someone was quick to judge a poorly worded post, remember it may be your first; however, there were hundreds or thousands of trollers before you. It just gets tiresome after awhile and you develop a 'swing back' mentality.

frenchwhitey
01-10-2013, 07:47 AM
If you run top notch equipment the last you you should be doing is putting a bunch of old rusted parts in your machines. The cost alone to get the parts out and then refurbish them for install will always be higher than new parts. Any tech worth his salt should know better. Have fun. . .

jim summit
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Yah know, that should just fire right up and drive right out of them trees....

It says GMC on the grill after all!:lol:

Dacotensis
01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I'll pay ya $20 for that GMC emblem off the front.
IIRC it is held on by 2 rivets and 2 bolts. Take your battery opperated dremel on your next hunting trip and I will help cover your fuel bill:)

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Get ready for a whole bunch of abuse because you are obviously an Indian!

Yeah I'm obviously an indian. Indians have jobs and computers and just love taking photographs of old equipment. You kinda sound like an indian to me there waterhawk. Were you in the Idle no more march that blocked the yellowhead?

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
If you run top notch equipment the last you you should be doing is putting a bunch of old rusted parts in your machines. The cost alone to get the parts out and then refurbish them for install will always be higher than new parts. Any tech worth his salt should know better. Have fun. . .

Ever hear of sarcasm? Holy **** didnt think I could make it more obvious. Have you taken your stupid pills today? Or....maybe you haven't yet had a chance? Quite obvious to me most of the members don't have a clue about heavy equipment, old or new. The lot of ya are probably office chumps who work 9 to 5 five days a week, go out to your "rustic" half million dollar "cabin" on the weeekneds, get your Baja 250 stuck, drink half a beer, and take fruity pictures of songbirds, and come on here and claim to be an outdoorsmen.

For the rest of us who have a clue.... I am just a guy with an old honda big red who likes to take pictures of old, rusted, de-commissioned and abandoned equipment. Did not think a username would cause so much grief.

Muliemaster
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Ever hear of sarcasm? Holy **** didnt think I could make it more obvious. Have you taken your stupid pills today? Or....maybe you haven't yet had a chance?

I bet this is teflon Jim coming back to try and evoke his revenge. He got punted from the car hustling business, now he's a racist parts scrapper!

Welsome!:sign0161:

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I bet this is teflon Jim coming back to try and evoke his revenge. He got punted from the car hustling business, now he's a racist parts scrapper!

Welsome!:sign0161:

You caught me. :sign0161:

FishingMOM
01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Sarcasm is best on saturday nights when guys have had a chance to relax and have had a couple beers..

So why not tell us who you are, what aspects of the outdoors you enjoy.
Do you hunt? If so, bow, rifle?? Elk, moose, sheep etc?
Fish? fly fish? Ice fish? Or are you one of those guys who will hike into remote lakes?

As Cat said before there have been lots of numbskulls come around and the members are getting tired of it. So yeah they are a bit defensive right now.

Lefty-Canuck
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah I own a large scale earthmoving company. I want to rape parts off old relic machines 100 miles in the bush because I am too cheap to go to finning and buy new parts. I just love taking whatever is good and trashing the rest.

I'm just a guy with a camera and a trike who is enthusiastic about old iron.

Cool beans Boss! Just for you less than PC savy folks :) and emoticons are a way of expressing sarcasm....sorry you had one last nerve and I parked a large abandoned D8 on top of it....

If you pop in here as a new guy, a friendly hello my name is Boss and I have a fetish for taking pics of big iron....goes a long way :)

LC

Looper
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah I'm obviously an indian. Indians have jobs and computers and just love taking photographs of old equipment. You kinda sound like an indian to me there waterhawk. Were you in the Idle no more march that blocked the yellowhead?

I like old stuff. Any chance you would post some of your pictures of equipment you've photographed? No sracasm, I would really like to see them.

Thanks,

Looper

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Like I said before, I am just a guy with an old honda big red who likes to get out riding when I get a chance. I always carry a fishing rod and a camera with me wherever I go. Employed as a heavy equipment operator, i take pride in my work and have a great interest in the old iron that has got us where we are today. I enjoy taking photographs of the old rusting iron because as everyone on this forum seems to know, this old iron wont be there forever. Due to vandalism, theft, or clean up this old iron is disappearing. I am not looking to take parts, vandalize, or remove anything from these old relics. Not worth the time or effort anyways.They are a part of Alberta history and I would like to see them left undisturbed just as everyone else does. I just obviously picked the wrong username. Just to be clear I am not forcing anyone to post pictures or locations. If so desired a quick story of what you found would suffice.

tullfan
01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Any photos of your trike and some old iron?
Might go a ways toward some credibility.
Just a thought.
Tullfan

Lefty-Canuck
01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I swapped PMs with Buggyskinner and we both got off on the wrong foot.

Welcome to the site!

LC

thirty-30
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Like I said before, I am just a guy with an old honda big red who likes to get out riding when I get a chance. I always carry a fishing rod and a camera with me wherever I go. Employed as a heavy equipment operator, i take pride in my work and have a great interest in the old iron that has got us where we are today. I enjoy taking photographs of the old rusting iron because as everyone on this forum seems to know, this old iron wont be there forever. Due to vandalism, theft, or clean up this old iron is disappearing. I am not looking to take parts, vandalize, or remove anything from these old relics. Not worth the time or effort anyways.They are a part of Alberta history and I would like to see them left undisturbed just as everyone else does. I just obviously picked the wrong username. Just to be clear I am not forcing anyone to post pictures or locations. If so desired a quick story of what you found would suffice.

Where are you at? I am a photographer as well and travel all over AB. I love abandoned things like that, just understandably, people are pretty secretive of them.

58thecat
01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
MORE PIC'C PLEASE:mad0030:

catnthehat
01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
It wasn't ypur user name that raised eyebrows it was the fact that you actually didn't say why you wanted to know the wherabouts of any old iron.
Cat

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Any photos of your trike and some old iron?
Might go a ways toward some credibility.
Just a thought.
Tullfan

Sure thing. First one is my 85 Big red with my Husquavarna 272xp chainsaw which makes quick work of deadfall that may block the trails. The next four are from an abandoned sawmill in northern alberta. A 12e and a 14e, the remnants of an old de-barker station, and the last is an old planer, I think.

These are just a few. I have lots to share.

ganderblaster
01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Was the shed abandoned as well?

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Was the shed abandoned as well?

If by shed you are referring to the sawmill structure, yes this one in particular hasn't been operational since 1993.

TBark
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Hey, those are Richie Bro's ad pictures !
Kidding, nice pics actually.
Welcome to AO Buggy.

TBark

tullfan
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks, welcome.
Tullfan

bb356
01-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Sure thing. First one is my 85 Big red with my Husquavarna 272xp chainsaw which makes quick work of deadfall that may block the trails. The next four are from an abandoned sawmill in northern alberta. A 12e and a 14e, the remnants of an old de-barker station, and the last is an old planer, I think.

These are just a few. I have lots to share.

Cool thank's for posting !!! :)

Dacotensis
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=buggyskinner_657;1794457]. Not worth the time or effort anyways.They are a part of Alberta history and I would like to see them left undisturbed just as everyone else does. QUOTE]

I'd like to see them on my trailer enroute to the scrap yard for a payout.
I don't mind a days work. Keeps me busy all spring.
So...gps coordinates please.
That trike looks like it's in nice condition, nothing like the one I have.

Hotwheels81
01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I know of a complete mine tram and steam donky with around 10 miles worth of track... Just follow the track to the top of the glacier and there's even a mine complete with building an shafts... Might be hard gettin across the fish river bridge now tho, last I heard another 50ton rock was sittin on the bridge just like before.....

I know of a old D8 nestled down on a river 2 mountains beyond where the road stops.... Also a 40' sluce steel sluce and other odds and ends... Amazing what folks could do back in the 70's!... Just divert a river and start pushing paydert from the mountain down stream....

My father salvaged a old high lead tower built on a Sherman runnin gear last summer... About 30km from the hiway then another 200km to the scrap yard... 18tons of iron hardly paid the fuel bill for the truck an loader but I suppose he had fun doin it....

There is a ****PILE of old iron in the BC wilderness... It is junk, it should be removed, even the "historical" items should be salvaged for preservation not just to rust away to a pile of oily lead based rusty paint chips.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
There are lots of heavy machines lost in the muskeg up north. I wonder if they get preserved in the muck or rust out.

deanmc
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Wow.:scared0018: Wolves are packed up again I see.

Hilgy
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I know of a complete mine tram and steam donky with around 10 miles worth of track... Just follow the track to the top of the glacier and there's even a mine complete with building an shafts... Might be hard gettin across the fish river bridge now tho, last I heard another 50ton rock was sittin on the bridge just like before.....

I know of a old D8 nestled down on a river 2 mountains beyond where the road stops.... Also a 40' sluce steel sluce and other odds and ends... Amazing what folks could do back in the 70's!... Just divert a river and start pushing paydert from the mountain down stream....

My father salvaged a old high lead tower built on a Sherman runnin gear last summer... About 30km from the hiway then another 200km to the scrap yard... 18tons of iron hardly paid the fuel bill for the truck an loader but I suppose he had fun doin it....There is a ****PILE of old iron in the BC wilderness... It is junk, it should be removed, even the "historical" items should be salvaged for preservation not just to rust away to a pile of oily lead based rusty paint chips.

It wasnt orange was it? Probably an old Madill 072. Any pics?

buggyskinner_657
01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
There are lots of heavy machines lost in the muskeg up north. I wonder if they get preserved in the muck or rust out.

My father showed me a rusted square of steel in the skeg out between High Prairie and Valleyview. It was the roof of an old butt n top log loader.

hayseed
01-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Well there might be four more pieces to add to our history after tomorrow....

I am sending my 8x8 wheel drive big bed truck with floater tires on a rescue mission west of Rimbey in the morning.

Seismic mission, two hitrack D-6 cats fell thru the skeg, water line is hood level on both,
and two vibrators have also broke thru, although wont be to hard to winch out hopefully, at least the vibrators still can run..... The cats took on water so they are no help... Should be interesting at any rate..

Sorry for the hijack to the op, love seein old stuff like that too!!

Old sawmills, old equipment, lots of heritage out there!!

TreeGuy
01-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Better send a camera with that 8X8 too, Hay. We LIKE pics. :evilgrin:

Pincherguy
01-10-2013, 09:48 PM

When I saw your handle Iknew right away that you were an operater, ie cat skinner, mule skinner. I say welcome friend keep the pics coming.
PG

Albertadiver
01-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Better send a camera with that 8X8 too, Hay. We LIKE pics. :evilgrin:

That's what she said!

Welcome to ao skinner. Looking forward to seeing your trip reports.

IR_mike
01-10-2013, 10:08 PM

The exposed parts rust over time, the submerged ones are pretty much stay preserved.

6tmile
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Hey buggyskinner, you have to get to the Yukon, great scenery, great fishing and hunting, and great old equipment relics scatterd across the territory. Lots of heritage and history.

Hotwheels81
01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
It wasnt orange was it? Probably an old Madill 072. Any pics?

This one was yellow.... Probably was an old madill, they changed colors all the time from one owner to the next.

Funny... Another 20k up the road there is an old American heel boom 8x8 on a side road... Been there around 10yrs now and nobody has told Hurricane Bay contracting to haul it off.... It's leaking it's 200gal hydrolic Rez onto the ground not 20M from a main tributary to anesty arm on Shuswap lake...

I talked to a fella not long ago who worked up north on a road project, they fished several old cats out of the road bed while doing the ground work for a bridge.... Dept of environment made them burry them back where they found me because they had become part of the natural ecosystem....

Reeves1
01-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Worked with a 77 year old fellow a couple years ago. He bought this old girl to use. Had plans to work winters with it clearing bush.
Was cool seeing him start it with the pup engine. I had not done so since back in the 70s ones Dad's 14A (D-8) Cats.

Left click picture for video.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/th_MVI_0871.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/?action=view&current=MVI_0871.mp4)

Reeves1
01-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Picked this up to clutter the back lawn. Going to sub out the grass for 2x6s. Place a plastic (sliage cover) and then 1/2" drain rock. Old stuff like this will go onto it. (patio pads to help support weight under drain rock)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/disk3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/disk1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/Plow2June2010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/plow1June2010.jpg

The petrified rock by this pump will go in the display as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/Pump2009.jpg

ShawnM
01-11-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think we need more derelict vehicles in/along our waterways.
(Kootenay River near Wasa BC)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1040698_zps3747bf0e.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1040699_zps1892ac1a.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/posters%20for%20forums/P1040700_zpsb458eee9.jpg

Growing up around the Wasa area and having spent at least three weeks there every year of my life I've always been amazed at the number of abandoned cars, mines etc. in the area. Some of them would make for a pretty hot car/truck if they weren't left to decay in the woods.

FishingMOM
01-11-2013, 08:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/Work%20pictures/disk3.jpg

I was watching a cooking show the other week. they were down in Mexico.
The host has to see a farmer to get one of those plowing discs, take it to the welder in town who filled the holes, added handles and gave it a good grind/polish.
Once he completed those tasks he had to take his Discada out to a ranch to meet back up with the locals he had been fishing with earlier in the day.

They tossed his discada up on the fire and used it for cooking dinner. Thought that was a great way to reuse something that would otherwise go to waste. Was also thinking it would be great for camping.

http://www.southwestdisk.com/seasoning-care-guide/

bsmitty27
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM
If I want to see old machinery. I'll take a walk through a scrap yard.
Get the eyesores out of the bush.
Brad

Big Red 250
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I too like seeing old equipment, not so much back in the bush, but it is what it is. Great pic's of the equip but I much prefer pic's of 250 Big Red's.

TBark
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Alaska Hiway museum in Sangudo has some impressive equipment.

TBark

javlin101
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
The giant dump truck on the south end of Fernie BC is cool. At lest I think it's in Fernie.

Zip
01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Hey Buggy...thought you may like these pics...welcome by the way,you seemed to be off to a shaky start but i it's all good. http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/rdayisdamad/Terrysbalehaulingandneilsboathouse017.jpghttp://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/rdayisdamad/IMG_3370.jpg

Reeves1
01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
I was watching a cooking show the other week. they were down in Mexico.
The host has to see a farmer to get one of those plowing discs, take it to the welder in town who filled the holes, added handles and gave it a good grind/polish.
Once he completed those tasks he had to take his Discada out to a ranch to meet back up with the locals he had been fishing with earlier in the day.

They tossed his discada up on the fire and used it for cooking dinner. Thought that was a great way to reuse something that would otherwise go to waste. Was also thinking it would be great for camping.

http://www.southwestdisk.com/seasoning-care-guide/

An 11 foot BBQ grill ? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

thunderheart
01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
The giant dump truck on the south end of Fernie BC is cool. At lest I think it's in Fernie.

thats in sparwood .. its called a terex titan 350 .. at the time there was only a few of these monsters in captivity.. one in sparwood and 2 or 3 in diamond mine in south africa...i was working in fernie in a radiator shop and i rebuilt the main radiator on it ( i am a journeyman industrial cooling system mech.) That rad was a mesabi style ( http://www.mesabi.com/products.php ) heat exchanger and was something like 18 feet wide and 9 feet high in sections .. my claim to fame ....:scared0018:

Badback
01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Heres a couple of pics that I took a few years back...I know a few of our members know the location of these...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/dragline.jpg
Dragline

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/oldcar.jpg

medicmoose
01-11-2013, 07:11 PM
im pretty sure I know where that car is. south of GP?

chanter
01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Hers a link to some pics in a very cool part of the world. Trains and abandoned machinery in a desert setting.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/where-locomotives-come-to-die/7130

This isnt far from where Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid robbed several trains and is just north of their final gun battle where they were killed. After being there, its amazing they survived as long as they did- its desolate to say the least.

Ill post some of my own pics if I can dig them up.

Badback
01-11-2013, 08:51 PM
im pretty sure I know where that car is. south of GP?

Nope...Here's a hint - South of Calgary

bdub
01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Heres an old plane wreck I stumbled upon. Pretty cool to stumble into.

Classic_Cool
01-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I love abandoned things. The promise of seeing ghost towns and stuff is what got me into quadding.

Some trash is sacred I guess but I'm not above salvaging if the circumstances are right. Vehicles want to be on the road, not rusting in the woods.

Hey Buggy Skinner, if you ever want company on a relic hunt I'm game.

Faststeel
01-11-2013, 11:52 PM

I would read into this an interesting piece some one stumbled into with a story, not a GPS coordinate where it could be located. Man some of you fellows are over the top with unfounded suspetion Cat. FS

catnthehat
01-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I would read into this an interesting piece some one stumbled into with a story, not a GPS coordinate where it could be located. Man some of you fellows are over the top with unfounded suspetion Cat. FS

Been too many misleading threads here of late is all.
Cat

Kaze
01-12-2013, 12:10 AM
There are some pretty monster logging tires in the mountains south of hwy. 3 on the BC side. My opinion on the matter is, if it looks like it still is used or belongs to someone or it's on private land, leave it there until you get permission to remove it. Otherwise if it's junk, in the bush, or an eye sore; have at 'er.

buggyskinner_657
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I love abandoned things. The promise of seeing ghost towns and stuff is what got me into quadding.

Some trash is sacred I guess but I'm not above salvaging if the circumstances are right. Vehicles want to be on the road, not rusting in the woods.

Hey Buggy Skinner, if you ever want company on a relic hunt I'm game.

I'll keep ya in mind. :)

jeff5316
01-12-2013, 08:54 PM

I come across lots of abandoned equipment in the bush in my travels which I have master keys for because I haul equipment and need to have the keys to move them. But they are not mine so I don't touch them ever unless I am sent to pick it up

hayseed
01-13-2013, 09:49 AM
I come across lots of abandoned equipment in the bush in my travels which I have master keys for because I haul equipment and need to have the keys to move them. But they are not mine so I don't touch them ever unless I am sent to pick it up

Sorry but that's funny!!!

Classic_Cool
01-13-2013, 10:01 AM
That master key thing is weird to me. Is the convenience really worth the lack of security? I've heard tales of people taking those things on joy rides into the bush. In fact, that could be how half of the things get out there.

When I was young, there was a housing development in my home town Mount Pearl. Not new really, but there was a field of rock right next to it that was hidden by the tree line. In it were a few barbecued cars, but the real jewel was an old school steam shovel.

Dated back to when tractors were black, not yellow. The arm was operated by pullies instead of hydraulics. The thing had to be atleast 50 years old. Despite the rocky terrain, it was sunk into the earth up to the top of the treads. Wish I would've gone back there more often.

Also in Newfoundland, it wasn't unusual to find "buggies" for lack of a better word. Basically a truck frame with an engine and a driver's seat. Maybe a homemade gas can attached. Used for hunting and logging I guess.

I knew a mechanic from back there. Once a year, him and his buddies would buy a bunch of old boats (Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc) and take them to the middle of the woods. Then they'd have themselves a demolition derby and leave them there afterwards.

You'll probably also find a thousand school buses rusting away in those woods. That's Newfoundland for you :)

walking buffalo
01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
This is not in the bush nor abandoned, but I still want to move it over to my favorite duck pond and have the biggest decoy blind around. :)

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/img014.jpg

jeff5316
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Sorry but that's funny!!!

What's so funny about it?

jeff5316
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
That master key thing is weird to me. Is the convenience really worth the lack of security? I've heard tales of people taking those things on joy rides into the bush. In fact, that could be how half of the things get out there.

When I was young, there was a housing development in my home town Mount Pearl. Not new really, but there was a field of rock right next to it that was hidden by the tree line. In it were a few barbecued cars, but the real jewel was an old school steam shovel.

Dated back to when tractors were black, not yellow. The arm was operated by pullies instead of hydraulics. The thing had to be atleast 50 years old. Despite the rocky terrain, it was sunk into the earth up to the top of the treads. Wish I would've gone back there more often.

Also in Newfoundland, it wasn't unusual to find "buggies" for lack of a better word. Basically a truck frame with an engine and a driver's seat. Maybe a homemade gas can attached. Used for hunting and logging I guess.

I knew a mechanic from back there. Once a year, him and his buddies would buy a bunch of old boats (Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc) and take them to the middle of the woods. Then they'd have themselves a demolition derby and leave them there afterwards.

You'll probably also find a thousand school buses rusting away in those woods. That's Newfoundland for you :)

I agree with the master key thing. It doesn't make sense to me how a machine that costs so much has the same ignition and same key so basically anyone could steal it. It makes my job easier because we rent and haul our own fleet of thousands of pieces of equipment. But there's really no security to prevent theft

silver
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I have been watching this thread for a while, thought I would add to it. For a lot of years, Cat equipment only had one key, don't know what its like now or what other brands are like.

Years ago, I ran my own construction business. I still have my own dragline, learning how to run it was tough, learning how to keep it running was tougher. About 20 years ago, a farmer gave me an abandoned dragline. It had been used to dig a dugout on his property and then left there, the former owner couldnt be tracked down. It took me some time and equipment to get it onto solid ground and loaded onto a truck and unloaded at home.

I am not running my iron these days, I can make more money running someone elses. But in the not too distant future, semi retirement could kick in, running my dragline is an option that I could like. Finding draglines and salvaging them would sure help that plan.

I am looking for draglines that are for sale, running or not. My brand of preference is Bucyrus Erie, but would look at most anything. I think people would prefer to see their old iron put to a good use instead of sold for scrap.