PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Head Gasket on 2007 Duramax

B_Type13X2
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Anyone know about how much it would cost to replace the head gaskets on a 2007 duramax? My parents took theirs to the dealership and were quoted at 11,000$'s to do this. I looked into the price for the parts and the gaskets themselves are about 200-250$'s for both, or 650-700$"s for a full kit you'd need new coolant, new oil, Maybe exhaust manifold gaskets say another 500$'s for fluids and other parts. and labor. All said and done I don't see how you would ever get to that much money. I mean a new Duramax engine is something like 14,000$'s how the hell do they justify that. I assume it would take probably 8 hours shop time plus the materials.

So 8 *250$/h shop labor costs = 2000+ 700+ 500= 3200$'s?

CantThinkOfAName
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
#1 Don't take this as gospel. This is just what I've heard.

That being said, I've heard if duramax heads around the same years of yours warping. And the rebuilders don't have a spec sheet telling them how much they could even mill down to flatten the head. So I would take a guess they might be charging you for new heads?

I heard this info a few years ago, so it could be out of date. And I would also assume a motor rebuilder that's done a few duramax's probably has figured out what compression they'd be getting after they've cleaned up a couple of heads.

And dealerships will charge you way too much on some jobs. I'd get other quotes.

Tussell
01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
A friend of mine just had his done at a dealership. Took them 46 hrs and had to get the heads machined. Total bill was $6200 i think. That was on a 2004.

sako1
01-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Dont quote me on it,but i think book time is around 30 hours.

Canadiandiesel
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
There is a reason why they are called stealerships and I have no clue why anyone would want to go near them once warranty is done on the vehicle.

B_Type13X2
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I just got off the phone with an autobody shop in town and they almost guaranteed me that the problem with the head gaskets is due to a poor water pump. It leaks and causes the gaskets to lift. The person I spoke to quoted me at 7,000$'s but he's replacing the hardware with higher grade so the bolts can't stretch which helps address the problem for another 1,000$'s he'll also replace the POS water pump that caused the problem to begin with. Truck will need 30 hours worth of work.

Its 30 hours of labor to change out the water pump if its bad by itself. So if the truck is being completely ripped apart which it is already it takes an additional 2 hours ontop to put the pump in. So 32 hours of labor plus the parts total of 8,000$'s...

To all the duramax owners out there make good and damn sure your dealership actually checks you water pump, our warranty just expired and now we conveniently find broken hoses, blown gaskets...

gmcmax05
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Lets see, 30 hrs labour @ $100/ hr to change a water pump? WTF are u talking to an autobody shop for engine work for. I've done a few of these, once you know what your doing it takes about 30 hrs to replace head gaskets, about 2-3 hrs to change a water pump. It's about $1200- 1500 for parts, replace the bolts with ARP studs, and use grade "C" gaskets. Ya dealerships are charging outrageous prices to change headgaskets, find a reputable diesel shop & get them to do it.

B_Type13X2
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Lets see, 30 hrs labour @ $100/ hr to change a water pump? WTF are u talking to an autobody shop for engine work for. I've done a few of these, once you know what your doing it takes about 30 hrs to replace head gaskets, about 2-3 hrs to change a water pump. It's about $1200- 1500 for parts, replace the bolts with ARP studs, and use grade "C" gaskets. Ya dealerships are charging outrageous prices to change headgaskets, find a reputable diesel shop & get them to do it.

because the autobody shop is owned by a friend, he told me straight up what he would charge for any joe walking in off the street with that issue. Just because its autobody shop doesn't mean he doesn't employ 2 diesel techs. and yeah given where the water pump is you have to take alot of crap off it to get to it. Everyone knows it wont legitimately take 30 hours to fix any of this stuff but there are book values for these types of jobs. Finally, I'm a welder not a mechanic, and its not my truck its my parents truck, I will never attempt to do a job that I am not competent to do so. Just like you would never weld on boiler tubes if your not competent to do it.

GlorifiedHabit
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
So you can get a waterpump changed out in 2-3 hours?

B_Type13X2
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM

you can if their already replacing the head gaskets. Have to take off alot of the same stuff anyway. That's how my friend explained it to me. He said if your replacing the head gaskets you might as well replace the water pump as well as it was likely what caused the issue with the gaskets in the first place. Basically he would charge 35 hours labor plus parts to do both the head gaskets and water pump.

The dealership wants 11,000 and are not even looking at the water pump. 11,000 just for the head gaskets.

roger
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a 2006 max, but havent bad those issues yet. But There is a custom mechanic shop in lacombe that does only duramax projects( like dual turbos and stuff).Will try to get a number for you. If nothing else they might offer a solution from experience or a opinion on the values.
Edit:google for MPL motorsports

gmcmax05
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Yes, it has nothing to changing head gaskets, it's gear driven, have to remove the harmonic balancer to get at a bolt.Some peps can change them in less than 1.5 hrs, depends how many you've done.

gmcmax05
01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
you can if their already replacing the head gaskets. Have to take off alot of the same stuff anyway. That's how my friend explained it to me. He said if your replacing the head gaskets you might as well replace the water pump as well as it was likely what caused the issue with the gaskets in the first place. Basically he would charge 35 hours labor plus parts to do both the head gaskets and water pump.

The dealership wants 11,000 and are not even looking at the water pump. 11,000 just for the head gaskets.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sneeze
01-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone know about how much it would cost to replace the head gaskets on a 2007 duramax? My parents took theirs to the dealership and were quoted at 11,000$'s to do this. I looked into the price for the parts and the gaskets themselves are about 200-250$'s for both, or 650-700$"s for a full kit you'd need new coolant, new oil, Maybe exhaust manifold gaskets say another 500$'s for fluids and other parts. and labor. All said and done I don't see how you would ever get to that much money. I mean a new Duramax engine is something like 14,000$'s how the hell do they justify that. I assume it would take probably 8 hours shop time plus the materials.

It is around 30 hours book time do to the head gaskets on the LBZ engine.

I have done it before in a gravel driveway. It was a nightmare. Took me 5 days.

You are forgetting about some things here. You will need to mill your heads, replace the head studs, sand the block, tourque the studs, adjust the valves etc. etc. Some guys say it is easier to just pull the cab off. It will take you an entire day just to see the heads.

It is a major project. I would estimate a mechanic would charge between 7-9k for the work. Not sure why you would take it to a dealership. Lots of small garages around Alberta that do good work for a significant discount to the dealer.

I think a D-max in a crate is about 24k.

whitetail Junkie
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Tell them to pound sand....my uncle and I just did the head gasget in his 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins diesal.Two man Job took us about 25 hours.....and thats with alot of coffee breaks,etc.

Manning74
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Mine cost 4200$ on my 03 max. Even had to replce a head. Total labour was 20 hrs

Sneeze
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Tell them to pound sand....my uncle and I just did the head gasget in his 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins diesal.Two man Job took us about 25 hours.....and thats with alot of coffee breaks,etc.

Do you mean the one with one row of cylinders?

Taco
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeahbut it has 24 clatterin' valves...

sako1
01-08-2013, 10:41 PM

25 hours x 2 guys=....50 hours:scared0015:

B_Type13X2
01-09-2013, 12:13 AM
It is around 30 hours book time do to the head gaskets on the LBZ engine.

I think a D-max in a crate is about 24k.

http://www.allthetimeauto.com/6dulbzcolobl.html

Refurbished Duramax 6500$'s.... My dad just decided to sell the truck privately, reasoning that at 95,687Km and babied the entire time, there should be no reason for him to pay to have all the hoses redone 3 months ago at a cost of 2500$'s, then have issues with power steering 3100$'s, now have this happen @ 11,000$'s. Truck has a blue book value of about 22,000$"s. It simply is not worth it to fix it when there will likely just be problems down the road with it.

I am definitely not impressed with the quality of Chevrolet in the past 7 years. My 2007 1500 Silverado had metal shavings in its oil at 32,000KM when I gave it back, My brother in laws 1500 Sierra had the #7 Cylinder go 5 times in a year and had to borrow my F150 to take his family on vacation. My sisters Cobalt had its front end fall apart on it at 45,000km, and now the diesel giving all these issues.

People wonder why domestics are being beaten out of the market its a reliability issue. Ford or Dodge now, screw anything to do with Chevrolet.

whitetail Junkie
01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
Do you mean the one with one row of cylinders?

Yaa thats right!

whitetail Junkie
01-09-2013, 01:28 AM

smoke break,lunch break,coffee break,dinner break....I was there for 12 hours two days in a row...how much time we spent wrenching is beyond me....all I do know is that he saved Thousands doing it himself.

Mekanik
01-09-2013, 05:17 AM
Sounds like some guys I've worked with :scared0018:

I am definitely not impressed with the quality of Chevrolet in the past 7 years. My 2007 1500 Silverado had metal shavings in its oil at 32,000KM when I gave it back, My brother in laws 1500 Sierra had the #7 Cylinder go 5 times in a year and had to borrow my F150 to take his family on vacation. My sisters Cobalt had its front end fall apart on it at 45,000km, and now the diesel giving all these issues.

People wonder why domestics are being beaten out of the market its a reliability issue. Ford or Dodge now, screw anything to do with Chevrolet.

Sad to hear that. From the "import" side of the fence, Honda and Toyota are riding their early ninety reliability reputation, IMO and the domestics have been coasting on brand loyalty for far too long. On some import vehicles it's still warranted, on others, beware. I've seen a lot of good things come out of ford lately and they seem to be on the ball with fixing whatever goes wrong quickly, which is a nice change for them.

bigbadbrown
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Refurbished Duramax 6500$'s.... My dad just decided to sell the truck privately, reasoning that at 95,687Km and babied the entire time, there should be no reason for him to pay to have all the hoses redone 3 months ago at a cost of 2500$'s, then have issues with power steering 3100$'s, now have this happen @ 11,000$'s. Truck has a blue book value of about 22,000$"s. It simply is not worth it to fix it when there will likely just be problems down the road with it.

How much is he selling the truck for? A friend of mine buys these trucks with blown heads and fixes them and re sells. It takes him 30hr but this is what he does for extra $ on weekends. Pm me please.

sparky660
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

You are kidding yourself if you think Ford or Dodge are any better. The powerstroke 6.0L is a POS and the new 6.7's are eating injectors and the Tranny behind the cummins isn't that great and they have soot issues with there emmisions systems. They all have their problems so don't go running to ford or dodge expecting any better or any worse.

bubba 96
01-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Sounds like some guys I've worked with :scared0018:

Sad to hear that. From the "import" side of the fence, Honda and Toyota are riding their early ninety reliability reputation, IMO and the domestics have been coasting on brand loyalty for far too long. On some import vehicles it's still warranted, on others, beware. I've seen a lot of good things come out of ford lately and they seem to be on the ball with fixing whatever goes wrong quickly, which is a nice change for them.

Nevermind read post wrong..

B_Type13X2
01-09-2013, 07:00 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think Ford or Dodge are any better. The powerstroke 6.0L is a POS and the new 6.7's are eating injectors and the Tranny behind the cummins isn't that great and they have soot issues with there emmisions systems. They all have their problems so don't go running to ford or dodge expecting any better or any worse.

That's funny because my F150 was better then my 2007 1500 in that it never had metal shavings in its motor oil after 30,000km.... It didn't come shipped with Californian programming on it which ran diagnostics all night long in the middle of winter, and It didn't have a engine heat sensor placed right next to the block heater so it was convinced it was overheating in -38 when I cold started it. The only thing that went wrong with my F150 was I killed the battery when I forgot to turn the interior lights off.

the 3 Ford super duties I have owned over the past 10 years have not had any issues that were not covered by warranty. I got 200,000+km out of 2 of them so there's no reason why I wouldn't go back for a 3rd. My friend who is also a rig welder has had as many Dodges and I've had fords and similar miles no real issues.

Defend the Duramax all you want but there's a damn good reason why Ford and then dodge are by in far the preferred work truck in north america.

Anvil1010
01-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Defend the Duramax all you want but there's a damn good reason why Ford and then dodge are by in far the preferred work truck in north america.

Everybody has different experiences. We went to all GM trucks about 7 years ago as the Fords were nothing but crap. We have had very good luck with the 50 or 60 trucks we have had. Dodge has not been that great for us either. But not nearly as bad as the Fords.

roger
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
So true anvil
Just remember.... in russia, truck drive you!

I found chev to have the nicest ride, comfort and veiw.
Fords look the best, lifted, booted and piped up. I give them credit for that, chevs look the worst lifted..
Dodges look the best with someone else driving them.