PDA

View Full Version : What age do I start paying taxes

TheLegend
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
So I am 15 and will be doing Concrete here soon. Do 15 year olds have tax deductions on their paycheques or is there some age or certain amount of money you have start making before you are taxed?

FishingMOM
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
So I am 15 and will be doing Concrete here soon. Do 15 year olds have tax deductions on their paycheques or is there some age or certain amount of money you have start making before you are taxed?

You make an income you pay taxes.

HunterDave
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Yup, tax will be deducted from what you earn but you'll get it back once you file your tax return at the end of the year.

That's the short answer but you can also have your tax reduced at the source but that's more complicated to explain.

Welcome to the real world. :)

airbornedeerhunter
01-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of income tax!

Cyclops
01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
You start paying taxes in Canada at conception and continue to pay them until shortly after death. :)

Batwoman
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
As you have been told you will be paying taxes through payroll deductions. At your age if you don't file you don't get back what they took AND I am not a Canadian or Albertan tax expert - jump over the border and I can whip you up a Federal Return in no time flat.

Others here may know - I do not - if your parents still claim you as a dependent does that restrict you from getting back what they tooked from you? I honestly do not know. When I was your age and working in the States I could get back all of my taxes as my Dad was disabled and we were on Social Security but I could still only earn so much money - not a tax issue a Social Security issue.

So check with Mom and Dad. If they do their own taxes they should be able to find out easily and if they have them done they really can find out easily.

Wish you well in your employment and I really do hope you can get back what you paid in. Seems really unfair to tax people who are not even old enough to vote in an election. I am rooting for you to get it all back.

Fisherpeak
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Holy crap son,what have you done by age 15 to to call yourself "The Legend"?

Okotokian
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
If you won't be working or earning much over the course of the year, say less than your personal exemption, then you can tell your employer not to deduct tax. My boys always did that for their summer and part-time jobs. Your employer will give you a form when you start that shows your personal deduction.

HunterDave
01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Others here may know - I do not - if your parents still claim you as a dependent does that restrict you from getting back what they tooked from you?

I'm not 100% sure of my terminology but..........No restriction for the OP. His parents can still claim him as a dependent but they have to deduct his net income from their exemption. For example if the exemption was $1000 for a dependent and he made $500 then you could only claim $500.

Oko - What you described sounds like a tax reduction at source. The OP can google that if he wants but it is the second option that I mentioned in my initial post. I used to do that when I was working and contributing to an RRSP. Instead of waiting until the end of the year to get a tax refund cheque my employer would reduce the amount of tax that I paid every month instead.

hunted
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
If there is gst on blue whales at te candy store you have paid tax.

TheLegend
01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
So I have heard of tax evasion how do I do that?

Lolz just joking!! Ok sounds good. Just a bit confused as a few of my friends say I did not have to till I was like 18 or made a certain amount.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
If you won't be working or earning much over the course of the year, say less than your personal exemption, then you can tell your employer not to deduct tax. My boys always did that for their summer and part-time jobs. Your employer will give you a form when you start that shows your personal deduction.

Correct.
OP, you will be asked to fill out a TD1 Form (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/td1/td1-13e.pdf) when you start.

Scroll down, and you will see a box, marked; "Total income less than total claim amount". Check that, and you won't pay any tax deductions at source. You will still have CPP and EI deductions though.
Just be sure of your total yearly earnings though. If you happen to get another job, or make some good money, and you go OVER your personal exemption amount ($11,038)..then you'll have to pay all the taxes owed at the end of the year in one lump sum.

kevpack
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
No cpp until you turn 18, all other deductions apply- EI, and both Federal and Provincial tax. As Okotokian said complete your TD1 forms - prov and fed as a claim code "e", expecting your income for the year to be less than your total non-refundable tax credits (sorta deductions) and no tax withheld. If your employer doesn't know what you are talking about get them to call CRA at 1-800-959-5525.
If you expect to make more than your deductions you will probaby be a claim code 1 and pay some taxes:mad0100: Unless you're disabled and a single parent (legend?) and have giant tuition expenses then your claim code ramps up.

greylynx
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Are you married or shacked up with a signigicant other? Gender does not matter.

Do you have some little Lengends running around?

Do you have to support these little Legends?

Are you or any are little Legends disabled?

Fisherpeak
01-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Are you married or shacked up with a signigicant other? Gender does not matter.

Do you have some little Lengends running around?

Do you have to support these little Legends?

Are you or any are little Legends disabled?

I doubt his little "legend" is fully functional yet.

dumoulin
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM

You`ve been paying taxes--GST! In the meanwhile fill out a TD1....

TheLegend
01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Lolz nope No kids yet and likely not for awhile. (however you guys gave me a good idea what to call them "my little legends")

airbornedeerhunter
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Exactly what has one accomplished at 15 to refer to themselves as a legend anyway?
:snapoutofit:

leeaspell
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Exactly what has one accomplished at 15 to refer to themselves as a legend anyway?

Finishing call of duty on hard lol

airbornedeerhunter
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Ha! Yeah thats about the extent of it! We should'nt jump all over him though, he is only 15!

great white whaler
01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
ya pay tax's ,even after death.

Mutter87
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM

You beat Black Ops 2 on hard and you can call yourself whatever name you want.

270WIN
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
You make an income you pay taxes.

Unless you happen to be a Treaty Indian, of course.:)

cheier
01-09-2013, 12:11 PM
One thing to keep in mind, if you are working for a family business where the relationship between you and the owner is not arms length, you can't claim EI between jobs, therefore you shouldn't be paying EI.

An example in my case, I've started a number of businesses, and as the owner, I'm exempt from claiming EI and therefore paying it. If my business goes tits up, that's my problem and the government won't pay out even if I did pay into EI. If I did pay into EI and I wasn't able to claim (which in this case, I wouldn't), then I'm entitled to a refund on EI payments made when I was exempt.

Now, as the business owner, if I hired my brother, son, wife, or any other people to whom I have more than an arms length relationship with, they are not eligible for EI benefits, so they would be exempt from EI deductions. If I hired you, or some other guy, then that relationship would be considered arms length, and I would have to deduct EI, because if I was to fire them, lay them off, or my business went under, they can claim EI benefits.

Just keep that in mind if it is a family business (your family) you are working for.

tibetanpet
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Let's see...

The Legend - Check!
Concrete - Check!
Family Business - Check??

He's gonna make one of us an offer we can't refuse if we ain't careful!!!

TheLegend
01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Chill guys....this is about paying taxes...not my username. And yes it is a family business (Westcon Construction owned by my dads dad (grandpa)

Fowl91
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Pay the taxes and get it back at the end of the year. You wont miss it because you wont see it. Then you have a nice lump sum handed to you on your return. Then put it towards a new gun!... I mean er, savings account. :)
Ive been working in my trade since i was fifteen, so when you turn eighteen you'll be ready for the tax man to really start collecting!
Cheers and good luck.
Fowl

Okotokian
01-09-2013, 05:07 PM

LOL Now now ABDH. from the online dictionary:
LEGEND:
a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
b. A body or collection of such stories.
c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.

One of those might define him.

Just kidding Legend. Your reply was actually pretty good. :) It's all in good fun.

sewerrat
01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Shouldn't " The Legend" be in school??

riden
01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Shouldn't " The Legend" be in school??

Yes he should be and if he is, he will be entitled to enough educational deductions he should get all his tax money back. But not your EI and CPP

jungleboy
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
The legend is what? 15 and going to work in the family concrete business ? good on him . At least he isn't laying around like many lazy little 15 to 25 yr olds. Could be a legend some day

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes he should be and if he is, he will be entitled to enough educational deductions he should get all his tax money back. But not your EI and CPP
Educational deductions are only from post-secondary education where tuition and textbook costs and/or "an educational institution certified by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada". High School has no significance.
But earning under $11k a year, it wont apply anyways.

Also (as Kevpak said) CPP isn't deducted under 18 years of age. (Something I learned)