PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Province Vehicle Inspection

Wldfyr
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
It seems a chunk of us are from out of province and maybe some of ya'll brought yer vehicle with you. I drove my gm out and now I have to get that inspection done to register it here. Heard A LOT of horror stories about money spent...
Would anyone recommend someone in the Calgary/Airdrie/Cochrane area? Someone you trust?
It's an '03, decent shape but I'm just worried I'm gonna get taken...
Thanks!

JB_AOL
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Everything I've read recently, is they have gotten really strict.
The mechanic fills out a form online now, and must provide pictures.

Just make sure everything is in good order, your truck is not leaking anything, and you should be good to go.

Wldfyr
01-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Ah okay... No leaks, good there.
Just a stupid airbag light on which apparently HAS to be fixed:(
Thanks JB!

sako1
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Pretty much the same paper work now as 10 years ago.No online forms or pictures are needed.Really nothing that special about the inspection.Front end,brakes,suspension,tires,exaust,glass,major leaks and lighting.

sako1
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks JB!

Airbag,abs and most check engine lights are a must,unfortunatly for you.

JB_AOL
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Pretty much the same paper work now as 10 years ago.No online forms or pictures are needed.Really nothing that special about the inspection.Front end,brakes,suspension,tires,exaust,glass,major leaks and lighting.

Whoops.. Just double checked..

I guess with anything jdm being imported this is the process that the shops are choosing.

Sorry for the confusion..

Wldfyr
01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Airbag,abs and most check engine lights are a must,unfortunatly for you.

Ya, not something I can even do myself that's why it's gonna hurt lol
Good to know thanks

MtnGiant
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I just did my '08 Dodge Ram a few mnths ago.
If you call around...you'll find it takes approx 3-4hrs and Approx $150.

I got referred to '"Citybest Auto Centre" from a buddy.
It took 1 1/2 hrs and only cost $95.
They were very good and are highly recommended.

They are in NE Calgary

pm me for phone# if u want

sako1
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I just did my '08 Dodge Ram a few mnths ago.
If you call around...you'll find it takes approx 3-4hrs and Approx $150.

I got referred to '"Citybest Auto Centre" from a buddy.
It took 1 1/2 hrs and only cost $95.
They were very good and are highly recommended.

They are in NE Calgary

pm me for phone# if u want

That sounds like a good deal.

MtnGiant
01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
That sounds like a good deal.

It's a great deal....I looked at lots of places....lucky to have heard about it.
You'll have a tuff time finding better

Smokey
01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Done outta province inspections 3 times. It use to be a joke, ten years ago. A wink wink from the mechanic and there was some missing details in the paperwork. Mechanics do the inspections by the book now, because they won't risk their licence on it. So your car better be good or be willing to pay. I had to get a new ebrake on my truck which I was fine with albeit I never used it before or after I got.it fixed. Use be, u could have a cracked windshield, and mechanics did not care.

Batwoman
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Had to get one done on my 01 Camry in 2009 when I jumped across the border. Closest "approved" place to us, at that time, was Canadian Tire. I had my USA mechanic go over car before I left so I was pretty certain they would find nothing.

I did stay within eyesight of my car while it was being inspected. They found..............one burned out bulb in rear window brake light. OK but I asked for the old bulb. Yep I did.

Other than that I have to say the mechanic was nice and very polite, it was not free nor cheap, and the car passed. WHEW.

lugeboy
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks JB!

Huh too bad we didnt meet earlier, I know how to remove the lamps, most common thing in the world before doing inspection, remove lamps and all good.

fed
04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Huh too bad we didnt meet earlier, I know how to remove the lamps, most common thing in the world before doing inspection, remove lamps and all good.

This wont work as the vehicle is bulb checked to see that they work. No airbag light=not working, therefore a fail.

lugeboy
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
So you are telling me they take the time to pull the dash apart to test the bulb????? I dont think so. they check the scanner and if you put a jumper with a resistor it gives the exact same reading

Ryanvk
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
So you are telling me they take the time to pull the dash apart to test the bulb????? I dont think so. they check the scanner and if you put a jumper with a resistor it gives the exact same reading

You really have no clue do you? Turn the key on all bulbs MUST light up for 2 seconds. If your going to find the fault to put a resistor in the circuit why not fix it?

lugeboy
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I am just going to chime out here I don't need to start a war.......

badchev
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
turn the key to on position and all bulbs will light up on dash if they dont fail. that is a bulb check. so if you can figure out how to have it light up and go out then you will be ok. if not guess it needs to be fixed

coolpete1
04-07-2013, 08:33 PM

pulling the bulb wont clear the stored code , and it will still fail, i love back yard solutions ,its a cash cow when it back fires.