PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma Lake

Chris5672
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone had any ice updates or fishing updates,we were going to head up next week so just wondering if we need the quad or will the truck be fine.
Thanks in advance

GummyMonster
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Don't mean to hijack, but that lake is BIG. Where do you even go to start ice fishing. Again, sorry for the extra question.
Ken

Chris5672
01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
It can be a very hard lake to fish,all i done was look for structure,islands and points and thats where i start,look at maps and depht charts and u will find them

topgun
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
14 to 16 inches of black ice 3 of white ice wont go far with pick up, flood water in spots take quad for sure

abalon
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Was there sat/sun lots of flood water with 6-12 inches of snow on top. A quads going to be tough to get around. Take a ski-doo.

Cal
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Lots of trucks going out there, I wouldnt imagine that a quad would have too much trouble in many places. If I was driving any distance to get there I would take a quad if I had one. As for fishing it just punch a hole and drop a line, lots of the lake is shallow and what counts as structure can often be smallish depressions in the lake bottom. Fishing around the islands and points is your best bet if your after walleye. At this point you can catch pike anywhere, on the way home from work yesterday I caught a 38" pike. I just walked out a couple hundred yards and dropped a line down a hole I was able to re-open.

Chris5672
01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
How was the fishing there

Sea Hawk
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
We were there saturday as well. the only thing I saw moving around were sleds. A few trucks drove on at 80 and made it to the island but I saw at least one having a tough time.If they get the snow forcast for this week, a quad could be a tough go.We took sleds and that is all i saw anyone use to go farther than the island.

Cal
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
We were there saturday as well. the only thing I saw moving around were sleds. A few trucks drove on at 80 and made it to the island but I saw at least one having a tough time.If they get the snow forcast for this week, a quad could be a tough go.We took sleds and that is all i saw anyone use to go farther than the island.

We've just got about 6" of snow, that realy sticky, crappy stuff you get when its only a few degrees shy of zero. If the OP had a sled it would be a good idea, I'm assuming he does not and I think his quad will work just fine if he'd carefull. I myself have not driven on the lake but I know many who have.

Shmag
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
If i was a betting man...i'd bet you wouldn't get too far on a quad...maybe if you are following a truck trail, if thats the case use your truck

Cal
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM
If i was a betting man...i'd bet you wouldn't get too far on a quad...

A fella did pretty good in a 2 ton picker last night.

Shmag
01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
A fella did pretty good in a 2 ton picker last night.

lmao...

GummyMonster
01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey guys
I have been researching this lake and keep getting references to going on the ice at km 80,81,& 86. I have to ask which road are they referring to?
Hate to drive 3.5 hours just to get lost. Any info on where to access the lake would be great.
Thanks in advance
Ken

simmered
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Hey guys
I have been researching this lake and keep getting references to going on the ice at km 80,81,& 86. I have to ask which road are they referring to?
Hate to drive 3.5 hours just to get lost. Any info on where to access the lake would be great.
Thanks in advance
Ken

The road is hwy 88 north. You will see the "km" marker signs on the side of the road. When you see the km marker you want to access the lake from, just turn on that road on you left hand side (or towards the lake dpending on direction) closest to that km marker sign.

GummyMonster
01-09-2013, 05:40 AM
thanks' very much!!
Have a good day

Chris5672
01-09-2013, 06:40 AM
I dont have a sled so the quad will have to do,but i will also walk where the quad cant go.How has the bite been up there for walleye? Thanks for all the help guys

Shmag
01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Hey guys
Thanks in advance
Ken

Km 80 will get you closer to the smaller island and the south shoreline and probably better fishing.

Km 86 takes you 1-200 yrds off the highway and to an oilfield lease, drive over the berm and your on the lake. Its a real flat area and the fishing could be feast or famine. Only use km 86 if thats where you plan on fishing. Fishing anywhere else use km 80

Never ever tried km 81.

Been to utik twice this yr, early ice at km 86 and about a week ago to the small island. I found fishing very slow with only a couple pike to show, maybe i just suck at fishin...

GummyMonster
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Guys who give solid info like you rarely suck at fishing. Thanks man.
I hope to head there soon. Take my old lifted 4x4 in case I gotta rev er up a little bit. Maybe see you there. Need to make some new aquaintances who like fishin. Wife is becoming more of a scaredy cat as the kids get older(some sort of mental issues!!!). So new people are on my to do list.

From the maps I have, there is a ton of oil leases in the area. What company runs em. I am currently looking for a new operator job. I have a good amount of experience. Workin near good fishing lakes would be a huge bonus!!!
Ken

Sea Hawk
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
We did well there before Christmas but the last two trips the last two weeks were very slow. On saturday i only saw three walleye on the ice by the island.Guys with cameras saw them but not intrested in biting.

topgun
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
CNRL and Surge Mostly Cnrl though

GummyMonster
01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Guys who give solid info like you rarely suck at fishing. Thanks man.
I hope to head there soon. Take my old lifted 4x4 in case I gotta rev er up a little bit. Maybe see you there. Need to make some new aquaintances who like fishin. Wife is becoming more of a scaredy cat as the kids get older(some sort of mental issues!!!). So new people are on my to do list.

From the maps I have, there is a ton of oil leases in the area. What company runs em. I am currently looking for a new operator job. I have a good amount of experience. Workin near good fishing lakes would be a huge bonus!!!
Ken

Chris5672
01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I normally head down to the south after i get on the lake into the bay thats down there and do really well it takes a bit of drilling but most time ill find a few there.

Cal
01-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I agree the km 80 route is usualy the way to go, I fish km 86 lots too just because I hit it on the way home from work and I dont like to waste any daylight at this time of year. Had some good catches at 80 but it can deffinately be weird fishing like Shmag said. Hit and miss, Usualy even when your catching steady its usualy not as fast as the other end. That being said the 38" pike I mentioned was caught there, and I straightened stout hook out trying to horse one up the hole on a handline a few days before. So at this time of year it isnt a waste of time by any means.

Chris5672
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
How big do the walleye get in that lake ive fished it a bit but still dont know the lake that well