PDA

View Full Version : NSR Nordegg to Rocky

Vexilar
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I'll be heading down the NSR the end of July and would like to know what I could be catching and where on the River any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Vex..:D :D

Moults
05-24-2007, 03:43 AM
Vexilar
I've tried the NSR a few times closer to Nordegg, and personally find it very difficult as it's big and fast. I think you'll find it better once you get closer to Rocky, but if you do find some success near Nordegg, I'd certainly like to hear about it!

Moults

Vexilar
05-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Moults, were doing it in 3 days and from what i've been told the first day is a full day of slooow river and then it only gets faster. I'm curious to know what could be in the slow part of our trip thats all just because i don't fish rivers much but would like to start.

vex.;)

angler1
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello Vexilar, I was curious where you would be launching and what kind of boat that you are using. I have run this stretch several times with jetboats and inflatables. We usually put in at the bridge south of Nordegg. The river channel from there is fairly easy but shallow in spots, there are some ledges that should be avoided, there is one at Saunders that can be bad, a game warden drowned there and there is a monument put up to honour him. Just a little further downstream is a place called devils elbow, the last big flood changed the area, the big rocks can be avoided by staying to the south side. There are a few other ledges which all can be avoided, just watch for them. Although there are some slower stretches for the most part the river is fairly swift but navigable. We have had moderate fishing on this stretch, look for deeper water, eddies, undercut banks etc.. The wildlife and scenery makes up for it though, especially going through the gap. It is a beautifull ride.

Vexilar
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
angler1, We'll be launching at the bridge south of Nordegg same area as you we will be in canoes about 8-10 of us their is a guy in our group thats been running the same stretch of the river for the last 6 years the only thing is that he dosen't fish I know what a shame anyhow he knows the route pretty good but thanks for the heads up.

We'll be camping along the river the first night just after the slow stretch of river and from what I've heard it gets pretty swift the second night will be after the brillies and the third night we'll be camped just after the devils elbow. It should be fun though a learning experience never fished the NSR.

Vex..;)

68 baracuda
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Stupid guestion but what does NRS stand for . thanks

Sage
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
North Sask River.

Sage:)

~Octane~
05-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Hey angler1 or for that matter anybody else, I am assuming its mainly cutts in that stretch? I was in that stretch of the river about 2 years ago doing survival and rescue training, we were kayaking too, but it sure looked like a great part. Wish I had my flyrod with me.

Appletree
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Say, Vexilar (if you're still around), how'd the fishing go? I'm planning on doing that same trip by canoe next week, and I'd love to get some fishing in.

Anyone have any tips for a first time big-river flyfisherman floating the NSR between Nordegg and Rocky?

TundraBuck
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Say, Vexilar (if you're still around), how'd the fishing go? I'm planning on doing that same trip by canoe next week, and I'd love to get some fishing in.

Anyone have any tips for a first time big-river flyfisherman floating the NSR between Nordegg and Rocky?

Head for the creeks instead.

tbosch
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Big jigs or streamer, and large diving rapalas. There are some monsters in there! You have to get to the bottom of the holes to find them though.

angler1
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey there Appletree. What day are you heading out? A couple of buds and myself are planning on Saturday to do a jetboat run from Nordegg to Drayton Valley. We will be running an 18 ft. outlaw, dark green and silver. If you see us , wave and we'll stop for a cool one. If you ain't hittin bottom you ain't jetboatin. Brian...

Appletree
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey angler1; we'll be on the river from Fri-Sun (9-11 May), we'll be moving slightly slower than you in 8-10 canoes. If that's the Saturday you meant, give a wave and I'll let you know how the fishing's been so far.

jebber6
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
There is a nice campsite right before you enter the gap at Dutch creek, has steps going up from the creek and lots of room.