PDA

View Full Version : Flood water

Altawhitetail_11
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
A couple buddies I was ice fishing with over the weekend asked me how flood water happens on a lake. And to be honest, I was stumped. I get that snow has insulating properties. But ice is obviously below 0 degrees. And the water below the ice won't rise above 5 degrees, that doesnt seem like enough to melt the top layer of ice on a lake. I first experienced flood water at Iosegen last year. To be honest it spooked me till we drilled the first hole and found 15" of good ice. But I digress, can anyone help me out on why or how flood water happens on a lake? It stumped 6 of us last Saturday and I figure there are none so ignorant as those who choose to remain ignorant lol thanks guys!

Mike_W
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Typically holes and heaves in the ice combined with added weight of snow on top forces the ice down pushing water up thus creating flood water then that flooded water is insulated by the snow and take s a long time to freeze.

Cal
01-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Typically holes and heaves in the ice combined with added weight of snow on top forces the ice down pushing water up thus creating flood water then that flooded water is insulated by the snow and take s a long time to freeze.

this, the weight of the snow pushes the ice below the surface of the water. The water finds its way up cracks and heaves and sits on top of the ice.

GregT
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
dont forget the 65 1 ton duallies with slip tanks in the box

Altawhitetail_11
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Amazing how it can span such vast areas of a lake off drilled holes cracks and some snow to keep it. Very interesting.