PDA

View Full Version : Perch in Newell lake?

ArcherAPA
01-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Anybody catching perch in Newell? Never fished that lake and would love to bring home a bucket full of perch if they're in there!

TROLLER
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know how you could ever target perch in that lake. It must be 30 miles long.

If you want perch and want to drive that far why not just stop at the aquaduct you can take 5 perch and maybe some trout while you are at it.

You could spend a lifetime finding perch at Newell.

MtnGiant
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't know how you could ever target perch in that lake. It must be 30 miles long.

If you want perch and want to drive that far why not just stop at the aquaduct you can take 5 perch and maybe some trout while you are at it.

What aquaduct are u referring too?

kevinhits
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Never been there but I know it is East of brooks...

As for Newell...Too many large and pike swallowing up perch...and the lake would be closer to 30K..Not 30 Miles

Wayne can answer this way better

calgarygringo
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Many of the pike we catch in there have bellies full of perch so they are in there. Where to find them is another question. I have never seen any down below me either so I am guessing the pike are scooping them a little deeper than we are fishing.

Couleestalker
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
It's on ly about 15km long and 5 wide. There are perch in there and once I get my new camera, I'm on the quest to find them. I've seen and caught small ones but i'm looking for 10-14 inchers. According to F&W there can't be too many pike, as they are reducing the harvest to 1 pike over 63cm this spring

Looper
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
I got an Aquaview Micro for X-mas. Spent the day out there the other day and happen to see 3 perch that I would estimate at 10 inches. Tried a little piece of minnow and a micro jig but they weren't interested.

Also saw a 6 lb Walleye and approx 25 pike.

My favorite Lake to ice fish, luckily live 30 mins south so I'm out there alot. Probably more now that I have this sweet little camera.

The Aquaduct pond is just north of the East end of the Aquaduct. Catch perch by the hundred there but they are tiny. Rainbows are hard to come by as well.

Looper

madatter
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Caught a few 8" perch trolling a 4" rapala in Jackfish Bay this summer....
Thought I'd snagged weeds!:)
Pike limit down to 1....I'm ok with that,hopefully grow em a bit bigger.

Couleestalker
01-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Bait ban for the derby wont hurt my feelings either.

WayneChristie
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Bait ban for the derby wont hurt my feelings either.

I heard that rumour too, but that will be the end of the derby. no ones going to pay 40 bucks to fish for pike without bait.

WayneChristie
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I got an Aquaview Micro for X-mas. Spent the day out there the other day and happen to see 3 perch that I would estimate at 10 inches. Tried a little piece of minnow and a micro jig but they weren't interested.

Also saw a 6 lb Walleye and approx 25 pike.

My favorite Lake to ice fish, luckily live 30 mins south so I'm out there alot. Probably more now that I have this sweet little camera.

The Aquaduct pond is just north of the East end of the Aquaduct. Catch perch by the hundred there but they are tiny. Rainbows are hard to come by as well.

Looper

you dont live far from me then Im only 20 minutes south.

Couleestalker
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I heard that rumour too, but that will be the end of the derby. no ones going to pay 40 bucks to fish for pike without bait.

it's not a rumor. theres an article in the bulletin

WayneChristie
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
figures. wonder if they plan on checking every shack all thru the derby. did they give any reasoning for it?

kevinhits
01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
If I am correct, the derby is C&R.....Why worry about using bait....Everyone has the same advantage, do they not?

Couleestalker
01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
If I am correct, the derby is C&R.....Why worry about using bait....Everyone has the same advantage, do they not?

Has nothing to do with advantage. F&W wants to reduce hooking mortality. It's well known that when fishing with bait, the fish tend to swallow the hook deeper than without.

kevinhits
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
ok...
Thanks

Makes sense

Looper
01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
you dont live far from me then Im only 20 minutes south.

No I sure don't. Think I seen your boat tarped up in front of your place. I'm by Grantham.

Seen you out on Newell around Christmas. I'll say hello next time.

Looper

flyguyd
01-09-2013, 07:58 PM

More like 10 miles by 3 or 4 wide:thinking-006: