PDA

View Full Version : Chiropracter/Massage Therapy???

MtnGiant
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Can anyone recommend a good place to go in the NE Calgary area?
Not sure which one I need....I have never gone.

avb3
01-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Chiropractcy is at best a questionable practice, and fraudulent and dangerous at its worse.

Go to your doctor, and get him to recommend a physio therapist OR a massage therapist. Massage therapists are trained, and DO provide a real service, without pretending to treat "root causes" caused by "subluxations".

When I heard a chiropractor advise a diabetic to stop insulin injections and start a program of "natural" cures, I almost hit the roof at the quackery that was exhibited. Please do yourself a favor and see real, scientific trained professionals, which doctors, physios and massage therapists are. At least they don't step over their area of expertise boundaries.

Redfrog
01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Are you a doctor Avb or have you ever played one on TV?
You think Chiros are quacks but you give out medical advice and opinions. :thinking-006:

Horse hockey.:argue2:

My wife has sued chiros for years with good results. I on the other hand tend to stay away from eye of newt, bat toes and other conjures, being the sceptic I am.

I have had chronic back pain most of my life, from doing unnatural things a man should not do. A lot of that ' Hold my salad and watch this ' stuff.

About 18 months ago after about 3 weeks of over the top pain and no mobility, I broke down and went to the Chiro, One treatment made a difference. After two more weekly treatments, I was moving with very little pain. I've been back once and my back has improved steadily.

Obviously it isn't going to be the answer for everyone, nothing is, but I'd say check it out.

BTW AVB I think you misspelled Chiropracty.

Wldfyr
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Not sure if you're paying for it, or if work is reimbursing you anyway but before you pay full pop for anything check out Groupons. Seriously lol... they ALWAYS have deals all over the city for massage/accupuncture/other stuff.
Like more than 50% off most..

MtnGiant
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
You think Chiros are quacks but you give out medical advice and opinions. :thinking-006:

My wife has sued chiros for years with good results. I on the other hand tend to stay away from eye of newt, bat toes and other conjures, being the sceptic I am.

I have had chronic back pain most of my life, from doing unnatural things a man should not do. A lot of that ' Hold my salad and watch this ' stuff.

About 18 months ago after about 3 weeks of over the top pain and no mobility, I broke down and went to the Chiro, One treatment made a difference. After two more weekly treatments, I was moving with very little pain. I've been back once and my back has improved steadily.

Obviously it isn't going to be the answer for everyone, nothing is, but I'd say check it out.

You present the reason I'm leary....
I've heard good and bad stories.
I'm afraid of the bad one in referring to a chiropractor

Bound2Fish
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Its not for everyone, but for me it works. No physio or massage was able to help with my back and neck pain. I went in to a good chiro and she took x-rays and put me through a bunch of tests so she could treat me properly. There were days that I had to drag myself up the banister to climb the stairs in my house and since the chiro, I have not had any of those days. I believe in chiros, but find the right one.

Cyclops
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm in the 'I don't really believe in this' camp. What I notice is that people who go to a chiropractor once seem to become lifelong costumers. It doesn't seem to cure anything but only provide temporary relief for most. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and I have tried them and it did nothing. I suspect it helps for people who just have muscular pain but no real structural damage. That being said, if it works for you, more power to you. The only thing I would say is don't let them manipulate your neck. Don't think they can cause much damage to your back and it might make you feel better, at least temporarily. I know people who swear by the practice. :)

avb3
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM

As I said, get a doctor to refer you to the proper healthcare provider. That's not medical advice, just common sense.

I will blame it on the 84F temperatures I have to endure sitting on the balcony waiting for the alligator to come out of the swamp to sun himself. Then having to prepare for my sailing in the Gulf tomorrow. Mind you, come Saturday, I have a cross-country skiing appointment with my kids. Oh, the shock on the system THAT will provide :)

pottymouth
01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Chiropractcy is at best a questionable practice, and fraudulent and dangerous at its worse.

Go to your doctor, and get him to recommend a physio therapist OR a massage therapist. Massage therapists are trained, and DO provide a real service, without pretending to treat "root causes" caused by "subluxations".

When I heard a chiropractor advise a diabetic to stop insulin injections and start a program of "natural" cures, I almost hit the roof at the quackery that was exhibited. Please do yourself a favor and see real, scientific trained professionals, which doctors, physios and massage therapists are. At least they don't step over their area of expertise boundaries.

Cause chiropractors don't have schooling, or use real techniques. ..:snapoutofit:

I think that ozone layer is totally gone above your place...its getting noticeable

Chiropractors and massage therapy are the two best things when used together. Physio was always a waste of time for me

tibetanpet
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Well... a few years back I was at the point where i couldn't pick up a coffee mug with my left hand/arm.

Diagnosis? Irritated/pinched nerve at C-whatever...First thing the MD wants to do is set me up with a surgeon to start cutting.

Second opinion basically the same...

Desparate I went to the chiropractor. I was anti chiropractic... called it witchcraft... but I swallowed my uncertainty and fear and let him crank my neck.

I figured 'who wants to live forever?'. And with a left arm that was becoming weaker and weaker by the day... well...

About 6 or 7 treatments later I was back at strength.

I have since gone back for L-5 stuff. Sciatica mostly... chiro combined with physio keeps it in check mostly.

YMMV... I know lots of folks that will have chiropractic done on their back, but won't let them touch their neck...

best rule is if the 'Dr' wants you to come in 3 times a week for the rest of your life, he's ripping you off...

FishingMOM
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM

I always used the beddington location for the Nose Creek Physical therapy office.

http://www.calgaryphysicaltherapy.com/

Chomack
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I go see the Spine Guys just off McKnight BLVD in the North. Its a grey house West of the A&W off Edmonton Trail. Check out their website if you want as well for info and hours. www.spineguys.com

They are both excellent Doctors and they use an activator to push your back into alignment instead of cranking your body around. It actually feels great. Then you go for a 5-10 minute walk so your muscles can relax and adjust to your new setting.

Highly Recommended.

Hunter Trav
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
If you were in Red Deer, I would recommend Care Chiropractic. They don't just focus on poping your spine into alignment, they do alot of muscle therapy as well. Each Dr. there does multiple techniques, and are trained in physio and other methods. Having been to a half dozen or so different ones over the past 15 yrs now (because of living in different locations), they are by far the best and most comprehensive ones I've seen. If my back gets bad, 1 or 2 treatments clears it up till I do something stupid to aggravate it again. For those of your who think its quackery, good for you, makes it easier for me to get an appointment cause your not tying them up...:)

avb3
01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Cause chiropractors don't have schooling, or use real techniques. ..:snapoutofit:

I think that ozone layer is totally gone above your place...its getting noticeable

Chiropractors and massage therapy are the two best things when used together. Physio was always a waste of time for me

Guess having a mother who was a physio and two cousins who are doctors colors one's perception.

Oh, and all those quack law suits against chiropractors that have exposed their practices.

Here is a starting point one may want to consider, from the founder of Quackwatch (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chiroinv.html).

Redfrog
01-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Guess having a mother who was a physio and two cousins who are doctors colors one's perception.

Oh, and all those quack law suits against chiropractors that have exposed their practices.

Here is a starting point one may want to consider, from the founder of Quackwatch (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chiroinv.html).

That's the thing about living in a trailer I guess. It gives you a narrow outlook on things.

I'm not defending Chiros,but I did hear about a surgeon , and an MD. and a dogcatcher getting sued. Actually I've been sued a couple times. Doesn't mean I don't know my stuff.

I have two friends who were USMC snipers. For some reason it doesn't mean I shoot any better. I also know two farriers and a veterinarian, but I don't shoe or treat my own horses.

I even know a guy who is sitting on his balcony in 84F while I'm freezing who is an expert on everything. Doesn't mean I know everything.:sHa_sarcasticlol: