PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for work in ft mac

bowhunter9841
01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm a j-man carpenter. Looking for work in ft Mac. Doing camp set ups, or something along those lines. I don't have industrial experience, otherwise I'd be looking for that too. Anybody know of companies that are looking to hire? Thanks.

Rhino81
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Phone noralta lodges in nisku. Biggest camp company out there. They are always looking for skilled tradesmen.

catnthehat
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm a j-man carpenter. Looking for work in ft Mac. Doing camp set ups, or something along those lines. I don't have industrial experience, otherwise I'd be looking for that too. Anybody know of companies that are looking to hire? Thanks.

Give me a phone call.
(780) 792 5239
Cat

bowhunter9841
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
After looking back daily on the carpenters union website to see what kind of jobs they offer, I have chosen not to go that route! 9 out of 10 jobs seem to be scaffolding jobs. Not interested in scaffolding.

The outfit I'm with now was working on noralta big horn lodge for 2 months, I really enjoyed the work. And I'm hoping to get back up there with a different company.

Rhino81
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Call priecision drilling and some other rig companies with there own camps. They always look for carpenters/handymen/women.

nsmitchell
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Let it be.

jaylow?
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
After looking back daily on the carpenters union website to see what kind of jobs they offer, I have chosen not to go that route! 9 out of 10 jobs seem to be scaffolding jobs. Not interested in scaffolding.

The outfit I'm with now was working on noralta big horn lodge for 2 months, I really enjoyed the work. And I'm hoping to get back up there with a different company.

I did HVAC on bighorn. I must have seen you in and around that hole. I'm doing the HVAC on lynx lodge now then wolverine right away. There's still a to. Of work here. There's union outfits here. I'm not sure about carpenters though?

Hoyt82
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Are they looking for plumbers out there?

bowhunter9841
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I did HVAC on bighorn. I must have seen you in and around that hole. I'm doing the HVAC on lynx lodge now then wolverine right away. There's still a to. Of work here. There's union outfits here. I'm not sure about carpenters though?

I was the guy that built all the stairs for the entrances at big horn (chubby guy with dark brown carharts). Our crew got told we weren't needed back until February. Great thing to spring on us 3 weeks before Christmas. I am still choked, I had quit my job of 3 years to tale the opportunity to go up. Was told minimum 6 months work. Turned out to only be 6 weeks. Boss is still keeping us busy, but money is no where near as good!

Mutter87
01-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Join the Union, I know Carpenters/scaffolders do the same thing on site, and there is always a need for Scaffolders.

Do the right thing and go up with the Union.

Mutter87
01-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Check with Horton CBI, They need Pipefitters for Kearl Phase 2.

jaylow?
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Ill ask in the morn and pm you a phone number if you want buddy.

jaylow?
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I was the guy that built all the stairs for the entrances at big horn (chubby guy with dark brown carharts). Our crew got told we weren't needed back until February. Great thing to spring on us 3 weeks before Christmas. I am still choked, I had quit my job of 3 years to tale the opportunity to go up. Was told minimum 6 months work. Turned out to only be 6 weeks. Boss is still keeping us busy, but money is no where near as good!

I'd say you'll be here soon then. It's getting pretty busy and the decks are ready to go on the kitchens

rasbok
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Join the Union, I know Carpenters/scaffolders do the same thing on site, and there is always a need for Scaffolders.

Do the right thing and go up with the Union.

Please explain why it is the right thing to do!

bowhunter9841
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd say you'll be here soon then. It's getting pretty busy and the decks are ready to go on the kitchens

Not sure, heard that the contract was given to a different company. We have a couple big jobs coming up down here too. Not sure the boss really wants to go back up. That's why I'm looking elsewhere.

justsomeguy
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Um........stop typing, scroll up and call Cat! He will tell you what you need to know.
This thread can now be closed.

Thank you.

:sHa_shakeshout:

cnjb223
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
ive been a member of the unuion since i was 18, never been happier. no reason you cant make some good money if your willing to work.

444 marlin
01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Please explain why it is the right thing to do!

Lets start with wages and benifits just to start out with.I have worked both and most of the time big difference safety,qualifications, it goes on and on.go online and look at some collective agreements,Unions are the reason alot of scabs make what they do now.When a company hires they are always proud to put union benifits in there job ad,wonder why?:thinking-006:

bowhunter9841
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
For starters, I don't take too kindly to repeatedly being called a scab!! I am a journeyman carpenter. The majority of my experience is with residential. I'm looking for work in Fort Mac to make better wages, to support my wife and 3 children. The reason I'm not looking into the union is because I have no experience with industrial carpentry (I'm not a form work guy). I would feel guilty making journeyman wages thru the union, when I don't know squat about concrete forming!

IR_mike
01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
For starters, I don't take too kindly to repeatedly being called a scab!! I am a journeyman carpenter. The majority of my experience is with residential. I'm looking for work in Fort Mac to make better wages, to support my wife and 3 children. The reason I'm not looking into the union is because I have no experience with industrial carpentry (I'm not a form work guy). I would feel guilty making journeyman wages thru the union, when I don't know squat about concrete forming!

Most of the work around the fort is union and stepping up to a open journyman position on the industrial side is a learning experience.........take a open door when it presents itself.

Its not rocket science ......either you will sink or swim.

Dont fill guilty about takeing a open oppurtunity.

Pincherguy
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM

I think Cat told you give him a call, I don't know him but I think is very credable and a good source for any info that you may need.

hammerbuck
01-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Does anybody know of any good pipefitter jobs up there???

catnthehat
01-10-2013, 06:50 AM

Our job board changes daily, and we do have outfits like PTI and Atco that do nothing but camps, and there is also commercial work available as well.
Where you want to go is upt to you however.....
Cat

Hoyt82
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
That would be great jaylow

petew
01-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Does anybody know of any good pipefitter jobs up there???

Local 488.

Hoyt82
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Would u have a number for them?

petew
01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
sent you a PM with contact info etc for 488

Hoyt82
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Thank you