PDA

View Full Version : rare sight on nsr jan 9 2013

waterninja
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
went down to the nsr this afternoon. like an idiot i didn't switch all my ice fishing gear from sunday to the proper river gear. after i hike to my honey hole i realize that i have no weights for my pic. rig. ended up using my jackknife as a weight. caught 9 wallies in 3 hours but only 1 was a respectable size.
just as it was getting dark an otter swam up close to me and came on shore. never saw one around here before though i've seen them in b.c. what a sleek muscular animal. tried to get pic. but didn't come out clear.

Red Neck
01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Nice eye Nija. I have a guess you saw somthing other than an otter? but ya just never know?? I like the fish better. Old Guy and I were alteady talking about having the right gear?

Red Neck Out:scared0018:

jaystev
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
rare sight around here good eye waterninja. Ive only seen one in alberta and that was up on the athabasca river. he had a walleye in his mouth.

winger7mm
01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Otters are very wicked critters :) seen a family on the athabasca while we were jet boating years and years ago. The taxi that is doing my elk, hes got a nice one in there now, pretty neat. Dont think ill ever see an alive one round these parts lmao

Fishnafterwork
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I got a treat while out moose hunting this year..... Came across a beaver pond with 3 river otters "playing" for about half an hour all I could do was watch them.... So cool!!!... I can't wait to go back in the spring as I'm hoping to try fishing this beaver pond I never knew held fish ( over 90% of river otters diet is fish)...:)

tight line
01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Seen them on the Battle! Cool critters!

BGSH
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Good stuff man

Cal
01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
rare sight around here good eye waterninja. Ive only seen one in alberta and that was up on the athabasca river. he had a walleye in his mouth.

Very cool that you saw an otter. When I was a kid we would sometimes see them at coal lake. Nowadays I see them occasionaly on canoe trips, far from civilization. Under these conditions they are very curious and even a little aggressive, they swim quite close to inspect my canoe and make these sort of snort/bark/growl sounds. I have wasted alot of time trying to get pictures of them but they have a knack of dissapearing underwater right when you push the button. With a several of them poking their heads up, mere yards from your boat, one would assume you could get a picture but I still dont have a good one.

QIsley
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I saw two Otters in Wabamun Lake last spring, on three different occasions, and one in the NSR just downstream from RR31 last fall.
I was surprised to see them this close to people.
Have seen them over by Fox Creek in the Waskahigan River and saw a few in the Wabasca River.

Very interesting animals....

waterninja
01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
i have a feeling that i'll see him again soon cause i'm fishing an area of open water and there is not much open area on the nsr now so hopefully he'll hang around. i'd really like to get a pic of him.

slimjim
01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I saw a family of 3 playing on a washed ashore ice fishing hut in Cow Lake, west of Rocky Mtn. Hse. Otters are bad news on a fish population, but so much fun to watch.