PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lake Newell this weekend Jan 12 and 13th

Kingfisher
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
A few of us are heading out this weekend to Newell.

Some of us are going to stay over in Brooks and fish both days. Any one want to join us. My truck is full. But the more the marrier on that huge lake. Going to Jackfish Bay where we went last year. Last year we had about a dozen from AO show up. The weather is supposed to be a lot nicer for Saturday. Should be a good day for the big one's out there.

WayneChristie
01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
hopefully the weather picks up, its sucking big time right now with snow and wind. should be good fishing though, hope to meet some more members and see some I havent fished with for a while.

calgarygringo
01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Should be good. How is the snow? Just came in from shovelling and have not pushed that much in a while. Might need the 4x4 for sure this trip. I will have the tow rope if we need. Right Rob......

WayneChristie
01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
had a major melt yesterday but got more snow today, havent been to the lake to see but it shouldnt be too bad, doubt if its over 6 feet deep now :bad_boys_20:

BLD
01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I was out there today, fishing was great, not any real big ones though. Lots of wind but no snow when I left at about 3:00pm. No one else at Jackfish, just me and my dog.

Kingfisher
01-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Should be good. How is the snow? Just came in from shovelling and have not pushed that much in a while. Might need the 4x4 for sure this trip. I will have the tow rope if we need. Right Rob......

Yes Ken, I also have my tow rope and a couple with hooks. You know I don't mind pulling your truck out of snow drifts. It always adds some fun and excitement to the day.

I can't wait to get out there and drop a line down.

Rob

WayneChristie
01-10-2013, 09:58 PM
if anyone is picking up some cheap herring at T and T or wherever Id appreciate a bag as well just let me know how much, the price for them in Brooks is crazy. been going through a lot of them, the pike are very educated

Kingfisher
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I will pop over there and get a big bag Wayne. I will get you some too.

Rob

WayneChristie
01-11-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks Rob

KJPFISH
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Not to hyjack your post....but I'm curious what you pay for a bag of herring at T&T? I have been buying mine at Canadian Tire and/or Wholesale Sports @ $9-10 per bag of about 5-6 herring. More recently I have been buying Mackeral @ Superstore for about $5 per bag of 6. It might be worth my while to travel from SE Calgary up to T&T to pick a few bags.

Thanks!

KJPFISH

slingshotz
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Actually a surprisingly cheap place to buy frozen mackerel (and some other bait fish) is any of the Walmart superstores in the frozen seafood section.

Can't remember off hand exactly the cost but it was good.

calgarygringo
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Just got home and made a pitstop at TT on the way home. I picked up a couple bags of herring there. They are actually sold by weight but saying that each bag has 6 at around 4.50 each bag.

Winch101
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Finallyfoundniceherrings cheap at thebignewsuperstores...

calgarygringo
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
If anyone wants to hookup for this trip tomorrow my regular partner is under the weather and have an empty seat in the limo. Live in the deep south. Lots of room for stuff if you need or if you like just bring the basics as I have everything else loaded and ready to go. PM me if interested.

Ken

Kingfisher
01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Couldn't find any herring at T&T. Found lots of other interesting fish. Did pick up some macrel. But did find some nice herring at Super Store.

Ken that's too bad about Dale getting sick. We'll miss ya Dale. Hope your feeling better soon.

Loaded and ready to depart my place at 4:30

Rob

WayneChristie
01-12-2013, 07:29 AM
430? holy crap, I dont even get up til 5 for work! sounds like you are already at the lake, or at Tims. warming the truck will be out there in about 30. :)

omega50
01-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Not to hyjack your post....but I'm curious what you pay for a bag of herring at T&T? I have been buying mine at Canadian Tire and/or Wholesale Sports @ $9-10 per bag of about 5-6 herring. More recently I have been buying Mackeral @ Superstore for about $5 per bag of 6. It might be worth my while to travel from SE Calgary up to T&T to pick a few bags.

Thanks!

KJPFISH

Try to find a Phillipino Market. I go to a small one off Bonaventure Drive by the Stetson Motel that has chest freezers full of great pike sized offerings on the cheap.The regular clientele is not buying them for bait, but rather for lunch- so don't offer too much info.

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Good Luck Guys! Get out there and do lots of driving around to pack that snow down for me tomorrow!:)

WayneChristie
01-12-2013, 10:03 AM
actually theres not that much snow.

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Really? We got quite a dump here in the hat. My tired back from shovelling will attest to that. Good to here that driving wont be to bad.

calgarygringo
01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
They didnt get any of the snow we got. Bare ice mostly. Have to scrape to hold down the tent skirt

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
wow..thats good for lake access if not so good for covering tent flaps. Weather network has the Hat 8 degrees colder than brooks even though we are only about 45 mins away. Looks like you guys have a nice day weather wise out there today.

calgarygringo
01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Nice day weather and fishing A few up already and a couple for dinner

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Awesome!! Hey save a few big'uns for me tomorrow. Are you by wayne or further over where I used to see you alot last year?

calgarygringo
01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Four of us AO guys fishing beside Wayne. I have my limit Rob has a good one some smaller ones and someone outside just yelled flag.

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Sounds like a great day!! Maybe picking up from the last couple weeks of slow fishing.

WayneChristie
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
still pretty slow. I managed to ice 4, best was only about 7 pounds. saw a lot on the camera but they were mostly just looking, had to downsize to small smelts to get them to hit. weather was pretty decent, not warm but not unbearable. this was one of the days I liked my rodlocker holder, came back to the trailer after a visit and the rod was pointed way down the hole and the bait was gone, would have been fish jewelery if it wasnt locked down.

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
That is a good idea Wayne, anytime you are away from your rod on that lake. I heard there was no trouble driving around in the bay? May head there tomorrow.

calgarygringo
01-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Left you a few for you tomorrow.....Drove off in 2 wheel drive so not a worry othrr than the slick ice.

cdkeim
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
perfect. Thanks gringo! Maybe catch ya out there next weekend.

WayneChristie
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM
That is a good idea Wayne, anytime you are away from your rod on that lake. I heard there was no trouble driving around in the bay? May head there tomorrow.

had the camera rolling if I see it was my 30 pounder I will be a bit ...:angry3: but whaddaya do. hopefully a hammerhandle

tacklerunner
01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
still pretty slow. I managed to ice 4, best was only about 7 pounds. saw a lot on the camera but they were mostly just looking, had to downsize to small smelts to get them to hit. weather was pretty decent, not warm but not unbearable. this was one of the days I liked my rodlocker holder, came back to the trailer after a visit and the rod was pointed way down the hole and the bait was gone, would have been fish jewelery if it wasnt locked down.

Dear Sir,

Loosen your drag if you leave your rod unattended. I don't know if you know this but jackfish like to take your bait and run with it for awhile then stop, turn it around and inhale it. Good job on the rodlocker though. You wouldn't want to pull a "slivers". If you need help catching jacks, there are a couple forum guys fishing in your area named Calgarygringo and Kingfisher. You can use the PM system on here and I'm sure they can give you some tips.

Hope this helps. :scared0018:

calgarygringo
01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tacklerunner, we were all actually fishing together today and keep in touch all the time. That is the neat part of this board is that we can share ideas and ways. Funny how we all have a different way of tacking care of our rods when we are out there. I tether mine to my chair or a tent peg for the outside. wayne has his locker and Rob had his tied to his sled. I also shared a new hook idea I have been using with Wayne that he was working on his variation of tieing it when I left. We need more get togethers where we share ideas. met GOR today and was showing me something on his tailgate that I have not seen before . Probably would never see this thing anywhere else but it works.

WayneChristie
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Dear Sir,

Loosen your drag if you leave your rod unattended. I don't know if you know this but jackfish like to take your bait and run with it for awhile then stop, turn it around and inhale it. Good job on the rodlocker though. You wouldn't want to pull a "slivers". If you need help catching jacks, there are a couple forum guys fishing in your area named Calgarygringo and Kingfisher. You can use the PM system on here and I'm sure they can give you some tips.

Hope this helps. :scared0018:
rig I had they usually hook themselves, but Id rather them steal the bait and get away than swallow it. couldnt find it on the video, but Im not about to spend a whole afternoon going through a whole afternoons worth of video at real time to find it. try not to jinx Steve too bad tomorrow eh? :bad_boys_20:

MtnGiant
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Lk Newell yesterday :)
Maybe a dozen pike of this size caught btwn the 4 groups there.
Wayne beat everybody.
Lots of other bites but no hook ups

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I forgot to mention I have half a dozen pike hand trained I catch them give them a treat then send them back til next time

MtnGiant
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I forgot to mention I have half a dozen pike hand trained I catch them give them a treat then send them back til next time

Hahahaha...now ur secret iz out.
Howz it goin today?
Me and Rob decided to go back hme last night.

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
6 little pike and 2 walleye so far

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Monster pike, nearly took my arm off!:scared0018:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3900.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3901.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3898.jpg