PDA

View Full Version : Canyon and saguaro lakes, arizona

Moults
01-10-2013, 02:54 AM
Hey all, I am heading to Mesa in February and wanting to rent a boat at either Canyon or Saguaro lake for a day. Fishing for bass, cats, bluegill, walleye or trout, but mainly seeking some largemouth. I have no clue what type of gear, tackle, and presentation to use. Anybody have experience fishin Arizona? I have heard canyon has bigger bass but Saguaro has the numbers. More
Inclined to go for numbers I think. Any tips are hugely appreciated as I will only get one crack at it this year! Thanks!

dragon
01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Hey all, I am heading to Mesa in February and wanting to rent a boat at either Canyon or Saguaro lake for a day. Fishing for bass, cats, bluegill, walleye or trout, but mainly seeking some largemouth. I have no clue what type of gear, tackle, and presentation to use. Anybody have experience fishin Arizona? I have heard canyon has bigger bass but Saguaro has the numbers. More
Inclined to go for numbers I think. Any tips are hugely appreciated as I will only get one crack at it this year! Thanks!

Just freshly read the regs online as I am heading to Mesa with my kids next week. I will just be fishing the Urban stocked ponds. They stock them every two weeks with rainbow trout 10"-13"+ in the winter time. In the warmer weather they stock them with sunfish and cat fish. They also said that due to the cool water temps this time of year that surviving cat fish are very inactive.

Have no idea about the lakes you mentioned but thats my info!

Also there bass pro shops is 30,000 Sf bigger than ours. I imagine like most southern bps they park their boat inventory outdoors so that means it could be bigger.

My kids want to go see catfish like they see on hillbilly handfishin' LOL.

Not sure about the big lakes.

EZM
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I fished Canyon Lake - very picturesque. Fishing was decent.

We did best travelling up the arm and fishing the inlets about half way up the north arm.

Chuck spinnerbaits, plugs etc... (just like TV) or if the water is cooler bounce a heavy lead head off the bottom. You can get a few types of bass some and the occasional walleye that way.

For rainbows, we trolled the same stuff you would troll here but they were harder to catch. (small williams wobbler as a flasher with a small spoon or spinner trailing).

Definitely worth the trip.

Moults
01-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Excellent, thanks guys! Looking forward to it. Gonna rent a boat for the day; should be great even the fishing isn't!

Ryry4
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Bring a sweater, it's been chilly down here the last few weeks.

Woolly Bugger
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Good time to go as it gets ridiculously busy on Saguaro as you progress into May. I have never fished it but we enjoy renting a boat there whenever our family heads to Fountain Hills. Beautiful Lake.

EZM
01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Let us know how you make out .... post pictures ....... good luck

Moults
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
I surely will! I'm heading there in a month, so it'll hopefully be a bit warmer but not overrun with people.