PDA

View Full Version : Kakwa Sledding

medicmoose
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Hey fellas the wife and I are headed up to GP to try and catch up with a late season Elk. Thought if we tagged out early I might go for a rip into Kakwa on the sled! Any one been back to the lake? how are the conditions? lots of fresh been falling?

Thanks,
Matt

backpacker
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Check with these folks, this club spends alot of time in that area.

http://www.pgsnowmobileclub.com/

Play safe!

Brian Bildson
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
The conditions are the best they've been in years. tons of snow,

elkoholik
01-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Another good place to check things out is snowandmud.com. They have a thread relating to conditions and the such for Kakwa and other sledding areas. Good for the quading info as well. Just make sure you are being safe back in there and hopefully are Avy prepared.

Rustydog
01-11-2013, 05:28 AM

There was way more snow out there last year this time then what there is now

medicmoose
01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks Brian! Our group always carries Avy and survival gear! Like any where in the back country things can be rough if your not prepared!

Brian Bildson
01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Rusty - how much snow do you need? The snow was there earlier this year and deeper than 2011/12. You saying conditions aren't great in the kakwa right now?

juno
01-11-2013, 08:16 AM
The snow is awesome this year. Have no problem going wherever I want. The snow wasn't so great the past 2 years, kind of sugerary. I am really blessed to have a job here and live here 1/2 the year. Had 16" of snow at Two Lakes Thursday night, nothing last night. Hear my sled calling, got to go to work.:)

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Go on the GP sled clubs website, they use to have updates.

Been a few years since I rode in there. Use to go before the BIG BOOM in GP. Rode in there from 1990 and last time I think was 2005. Had the camo set up and everything. LOVED IT.

I chatted with a couple guys on wednesday and they were in on sunday and said it was snowing, conditions look like it will be good this year.

Rustydog
01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Rusty - how much snow do you need? The snow was there earlier this year and deeper than 2011/12. You saying conditions aren't great in the kakwa right now?

I know last yr we didn't have much snow down low at all, even at our camp at the airport in Sherman meadows there was barely anything but as you got up in the hills there was more snow then I've ever seen. Creeks were covered up faster, easier riding, willows were covered, etc.

medicmoose
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey fellas thanks for all the replies. Took the sled out today for the first ride of the season. And I melt down the pto side piston like it was made of butter! Looks like I won't be getting in there this year! Good news is dads going to lend the Argo for the elk hunt