PDA

View Full Version : What's in your library

jungleboy
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I thought it might be interesting for for us to list some favorite hunting / outdoors books we have read and enjoyed . I am always looking for another good read as I am sure many here are . this could be a great reference in the search for the next good book

Shot's at whitetails

Big bucks the Benoit way

Forty years with the 45 70

Instinctive shooting by Fred Asbel

There are 4 off the top of my head that I have really enjoyed and often go back to reread when the mood strikes.

sureshot
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Think I have every book ever written about Albert Johnson.

Andy

Twisted Canuck
01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
The Old Man & the Sea......Hemingway. Great book.

TreeGuy
01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
'Diver just lent me his Fifty Shades of Gay collection. Just spelled wrong or just plain wrong? :D

Arctic
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
"Alaskan Yukon Trophies won & Lost", ...........a genuine classic for any hunter.

IR_mike
01-10-2013, 10:52 PM
'Diver just lent me his Fifty Shades of Gay collection. Just spelled wrong or just plain wrong? :D

Please dont post any of the hand writing on the inside covers or footnotes at the bottom of the pages.

Forest Techer
01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
The Old Man & the Sea......Hemingway. Great book.

Ever read dangerous summer? My favourite hemmingway read. Non fiction. Following his favourite bullfighters across Spain. Enjoyable.

A voyage for madmen. Excellent read for many outdoorsmen who spend a lot of time alone in the wilderness. It's about a solo unassisted boat race around the world that happened by accident sort of.

Twisted Canuck
01-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Ever read dangerous summer? My favourite hemmingway read. Non fiction. Following his favourite bullfighters across Spain. Enjoyable.

I haven't read that one, no. I have read through most of his works, some several times. For Whom the Bell Tolls is probably my favorite. I will have to track that one down and read it. Thanks.

jungleboy
01-10-2013, 11:03 PM
A voyage for madmen. Excellent read for many outdoorsmen who spend a lot of time alone in the wilderness. It's about a solo unassisted boat race around the world that happened by accident sort of.

I just finished that book too very good.

countrykid
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Dad has a gazillion (that's the technical term) books in the basement which I'll have to read one day. One that I have read that pertains to hunting is called "Swiftwater". I cannot remember the author but it is a really good book nonetheless.

omega50
01-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Anything by Sid Marty

http://www.canrockbooks.com/?page=shop/browse&fsb=1&searchby=author&keyword=Marty%2C+Sid

Men for the Mountains is my fav- but all great Alberta stories.

catnthehat
01-11-2013, 06:59 AM
I also have a mess of technical stuff
American Rifle design by Wollack,
the Accurate Rifle by Page
The ultimate in Rifle accuracy - the one written in the 50's
Hatcher's notebook, of course

The ultimate in varmint rifle accuracy
Postition rifle shooting

Shoot to live
Shotguns and shotguning
the book of shotguns
about 3 volumes of Cartridges of the World
Can't remember them all.
I also have some historical novels, many by Eckert, they used to scare the crap out of me when I was young- the Frontiersman was the first one I read about Simon Kenton.
Cat

silver
01-11-2013, 07:20 AM
My library has Ruark, Capstick, Paul Mathews, Ken Waters, John Taylor, Gen. Julian Hatcher, John D MacDonald, Andy Russel, Dick Francis and Donald Hamilton. I have stacks of books on cooking, guns and gun repair, motorcycles and motorcycle repair, vehicle repair, house renovations and construction, gold mines and panning, welding and machining, and some history books. These are the ones that are easy to categorize, there are a lot more that dont fit into a group.

Now, if I could just find the phone number of my book dealer in S'toon, I could make arrangements to meet him and get my reading fix.

Acesneights
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Horses, hitches and rocky trails by Joe Back
First edition and signed
Just one of many in my library but that one stands out and is a great book.

rugatika
01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
A librarian.

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Metallurgy.

Welding essentials.

Machinist handbook.

Basics of fly tying.

Old copies of playboy. Not kidding, 20-30 years old, back when WWBirds was still a functioning member of society :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Photography 101.

bb356
01-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Metallurgy.

Welding essentials.

Machinist handbook.

Basics of fly tying.

Old copies of playboy. Not kidding, 20-30 years old, back when WWBirds was still a functioning member of society :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Photography 101.

Are the page's stuck together ??? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Are the page's stuck together ??? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

They are! I found out you can not have the welding books out while you are grinding. :sign0176:

IR_mike
01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
They are! I found out you can not have the welding books out while you are grinding. :sign0176:

:lol::lol:

X2

Long story not worth retelling here.

Fire is bad.

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2013, 09:07 PM
:lol::lol:

X2

Long story not worth retelling here.

Fire is bad.

Noooooooo....

Get back in here and share with the group :)

pikergolf
01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Everything that Pat Mcmannus ever wrote,and some Gene Hill and Bob Scammel.

IR_mike
01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Noooooooo....

Get back in here and share with the group :)

Helping dad do modifications on swather when young (grade 3-4) that involved a grinder.

I was holding he was grindeing.......I smelt grass smoke as it smells different than ground hot metal.

Still not sure if it was something in the old 5 gallon pails of whatever the former farm owner had in the little junk pile or old dry grass, but found out later in life why they use spark watches in industry.

No loss of property but lots of panic and yelling.

BlackHeart
01-11-2013, 09:27 PM

That's quite the book club for directional drillers, you've joined. :) ;)

MtnGiant
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Fishing and Hunting regs.
Firearms regs and apllicable laws.
Flies of Alberta
Maps of AB
Mushrooms of the wild
Botany of N America
etc....

this is what I read when I'm not reading the ever so entertaining comments on this AO Forum

lone wolf
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Patrick McManus
Peter Capstick
Andy Russell
Roderick Haig-Brown
Pierre Berton

Also recently had fourteen boxes of books shipped from my late father's estate. Still trying to organize and categorize them................. a ton dealing with WW1, especially the Battle of the Somme where his father (my grandfather) witnessed the brutality of trench warfare. Also an entire bookcase dedicated to Irish lierature & Irish history.

lone wolf
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Patrick McManus
Peter Capstick
Andy Russell
Roderick Haig-Brown
Pierre Berton
Dick Turner
Reloading manuals from all the major manufacturers

Also recently had fourteen boxes of books shipped from my late father's estate. Still trying to organize and categorize them................. a ton dealing with WW1, especially the Battle of the Somme where his father (my grandfather) witnessed the brutality of trench warfare. Also an entire bookcase dedicated to Irish lierature & Irish history.