PDA

View Full Version : Blade for a skidsteer

silver
01-12-2013, 09:33 AM
There is a thread here about pushing snow with a quad, one comment is about a blade on a skidsteer not working well. I tried a blade on mine a couple of a years ago and it wasnt a great success. Blade was built for a smaller unit and it wasnt strong enough. When it did plow, it worked not bad.

I would like to try another blade, buy one or build one maybe, dont want to break the bank. Used mostly for snow, might move a bit of dirt or manure from time to time.

So, who makes a good blade at a descent price or where can I find plans to build one myself?

yoteblaster
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a 9 foot blade for our 328 JD skidsteer. It is made by EDGE manufacturing. It angles hydraulically. It is an amazingly quick way to move snow. The only thing I don,t like about it is the skids on the bottom to set the height were junk. They wear out super quick if you are running them on gravel.

bobcatguy
01-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Most blades that I have seen are not strong enough to push dirt with.
You can buy attachment plates from a dealer & weld anything you want on it
As for cheap you usually get what you pay for. An 8 foot angle blade from bobcat is about $3500 in Red Deer. I use a 9 foot conterra blade that is about the same price but can't get a 9 ft cutting edge The bobcat blade is the better one by far when both new.

Kim473
01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I have a 9 foot blade for our 328 JD skidsteer. It is made by EDGE manufacturing. It angles hydraulically. It is an amazingly quick way to move snow. The only thing I don,t like about it is the skids on the bottom to set the height were junk. They wear out super quick if you are running them on gravel.

If the skid shoes are removeable easly, take them to a welding shop and have them hard surface them. Should only be about $ 40.00 each or so. We build buckets and blades and hard surface alot of things, makes them last 3 or 4 times longer. The welding shop may be able to make you a new shoe out of AR400 plate which will last two to three times longer than mild steel. I hard surfaced runners on a sled once, then ground them to a v shape. They would cut right into ashphalt. Made an unbeivable differance on steering when on ice or packed down snow.

roger
01-12-2013, 11:21 AM
I have a 7 ft bobcat one. $3300?
Blades suck when trying to relocate snow in a parking lot or large yard, a wing kit or end plate would help immensely. Moving a 2" snowfall is almost as much work as 6 " of snow because it just spoils off the ends. I should have got the 8 ft or 9 because when i do my drive way the cats wheels can drop over edge and sucks the machine in. A wider blade would let me stay on the hard pack and yet still push the windrow back. I rarely if ever see the full height of the blade filled.
I wouldnt build my own unless i had a well equipped shop behind me. typically second hand ones are 50-60 % of new price especially off -season. Maybe rebuilding a used one would be more approachable.
I have usef this snow blade for dirt but moreso for backblading and levelling black soil before sodding.
Its nothing a bucket couldnt have done.
Oh ya spray the blade with armourall before plowing, it prevents snow from sticking.
Skidsteers are mankinds greatest invention.

caver77
01-12-2013, 11:54 AM
If you need to move serious snow I'd recommend a box plow. Or for the break the bank option one of those fully hydraulic blade/box Degelman's which are unbelievable slick! One like that is on my to build list. When I used to push snow the box plows would out push buckets 2-3 to one. Putting wings on your bucket isn't quite as good as a box plow but still beat a regular bucket by a mile. Even a single hydraulic wing on a bucket can be pretty slick and seriously increase production, but then you are tied into generally going around obstacles the same way.

sewerrat
01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
This what you need looks like the cats *****

http://www.degelman.com/products/material_handling/speedblade/index.php

silver
01-12-2013, 05:40 PM
If you need to move serious snow I'd recommend a box plow. Or for the break the bank option one of those fully hydraulic blade/box Degelman's which are unbelievable slick! One like that is on my to build list. When I used to push snow the box plows would out push buckets 2-3 to one. Putting wings on your bucket isn't quite as good as a box plow but still beat a regular bucket by a mile. Even a single hydraulic wing on a bucket can be pretty slick and seriously increase production, but then you are tied into generally going around obstacles the same way.

If I was going to clean parking lots that would be the real deal, I am not and I dont want to spend the money. I think I will try to adapt an eight foot blade from a tractor to fit my skidsteer. I have a couple in mind, an 8 foot cancade that can be angled with an extra plate that can be put in either side or not put in at all. There is another blade, an eight foot with a turn table to pivot it on, a lot flimsier blade but one that could be worked on a lot easier.

medicmoose
01-12-2013, 06:35 PM
This what you need looks like the cats *****

http://www.degelman.com/products/material_handling/speedblade/index.php

My lord that thing is awesome! Wonder how much$$$!!

albertanhb
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Now that is a blade, holy could you move a whole bunch of snow in a hurry. I can only imagine how much they are worth!!! I have an 8' bobcat blade that is hydraulic and does a good job, you can move a pile of snow in a short order. Wings would be nice though and it would speed things up that much more. I am pushing it with a case 450 with the counter weight kit. I picked mine up used for half of what it is new. We found it on Kijijji.

buggyskinner_657
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
You could probably find what you are looking for on Kijiji. It's where I found my snow removal tool...

a little redneck
01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Get a grader blade welded onto the bottom of your plow and you should be good to go. They'll hold an edge and will last.

caver77
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
My lord that thing is awesome! Wonder how much$$$!!

depending, about 9- 15k it used to be.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
You could probably find what you are looking for on Kijiji. It's where I found my snow removal tool...

That's cool, I had a case 350 with a front end loader.