PDA

View Full Version : Old spruce Bull recipes?

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for moose that tastes like spruce lol. I love moose but this one is funny and tough. Thanks!

bdub
01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Try seasoning with whatever you like, coat with olive oil and let sit for a few hours, roast at 300 with the lid off. Dont over cook. Try that for the roasts anyway. Good luck

TomE
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I've heard soaking in Milk over night..Takes away the "Browsey" taste..

MrDave
01-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Grew up in the swamps, and my older brother always went for the bigger bulls. We would slow cook the roast with bacon all wrapped around it. Moos being dry will take on some of the flavor.
Other thing was sausage. Smoke it and it goes down quick.
Marinate your steaks for 24 hours with whatever you like. Should make a difference in flavor and make it a little less chewy. Lol. Makes for strong neck and jaw muscles doesn't it. Lol

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Grew up in the swamps, and my older brother always went for the bigger bulls. We would slow cook the roast with bacon all wrapped around it. Moos being dry will take on some of the flavor.
Other thing was sausage. Smoke it and it goes down quick.
Marinate your steaks for 24 hours with whatever you like. Should make a difference in flavor and make it a little less chewy. Lol. Makes for strong neck and jaw muscles doesn't it. Lol

Ooo I'll try bacon for sure. It wasn't our moose but we got givin a good portion of it for helping in the hunt, might sound like a silly question but can you smoke stuff without a smoker? I bet ya I'll have the strongest jaw by the time the moose is out of the freezer lol

CanuckShooter
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for moose that tastes like spruce lol. I love moose but this one is funny and tough. Thanks!

Trimming the fat, and removing bone helps tone down the stronger flavors too.

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Trimming the fat, and removing bone helps tone down the stronger flavors too.

Its all boned and fat gone, its sausage, steaks, and roasts already cut oh and burger

fishtank
01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
For smoker do you have a old fridge or BBq you can use that to smoked it's not the best but they can get the job done .
the BBq is better @ controlling the heat

boomstick
01-12-2013, 12:40 PM
yeppers , trim fat debone soak in milk 4 hrs , cover with spice and bacon . cook 2/3 the time u would same amount of beef and call me please . i will bring wine and my own fork and knife :sHa_shakeshout:

Sooner
01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Crock pot. Ive done roasts, steaks, comes out real tender and soaks up whatever flavours you cook it in.

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Although I think the butcher was half in the bag or something that day lol, accrue steaks are 2in thick on one side and half inch on the other :bad_boys_20:

omega50
01-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Although I think the butcher was half in the bag or something that day lol, accrue steaks are 2in thick on one side and half inch on the other :bad_boys_20:
Then they might taste pretty good if you are half in the bag when you eat them.:bad_boys_20:

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=omega50;1797468]Then they might taste pretty good if you are half in the bag when you eat them.:bad_boys_20:[/QUOTE

Valid point lol

omega50
01-12-2013, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=omega50;1797468]Then they might taste pretty good if you are half in the bag when you eat them.:bad_boys_20:[/QUOTE

Valid point lol

Your post reminded me of my first smoker bought at a garage sale. The guy said it came with free wood shavings for smoking. 3 garbage bags full- What did I know. Turns out it was dimensional lumber Spruce shavings from his wood planer.

My entire batch of jerky tasted just like you describe.

grizz 700
01-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Make a foil pouch, cover the roast in seasoning (Montreal Steak and Garlic Plus is easy) throw the roast in the pouch and dump in 2 cans of cream of celery soup. Close pouch and throw it in the oven at 325. Makes a great gravy.

Grizzly Adams
01-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Old recipe I got for Spruce grouse. Put in pot of cold water with 2 lb. rock. Boil until tender. Discard grouse, eat rock. :D

Grizz

Littlefawn
01-12-2013, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Littlefawn;1797729]

Your post reminded me of my first smoker bought at a garage sale. The guy said it came with free wood shavings for smoking. 3 garbage bags full- What did I know. Turns out it was dimensional lumber Spruce shavings from his wood planer.

My entire batch of jerky tasted just like you describe.

Haha awesome!