PDA

View Full Version : How mad would you be ....

fishtank
01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
if you call someone and told them you are only your way and be there 15 min. Even told him where you are currently located , to pick up something that they are selling .they said ok and give you the address and when you are 2 block away from their place, they call you back and said it's sold i was like what you mean it's sold they said some one show up and picked it up. :angry3:
WTF can't even keep a promise for 15 min:rolleye2:

i just needed some ranting

deepfried
01-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I would be upset to. But I guess atleast they phoned you and didn't just shut the lights off for when you arrived! Was this from buy and sell on here?

pike_king780
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow that's low I'd be very angry, when I sell items and someone has given me their word to purchase I always take ad down temporarily and at least give the guy time to get to me lol

fishtank
01-12-2013, 01:23 PM
the deal was on Kijiji for a icefishing package i had to go there on my lunch break so it was a complete waste of my lunch break i was so ****ed that i forgot to pick up my lunch :mad0100:

catnthehat
01-12-2013, 01:43 PM
It's happened to me before, no use crying about it however, it happened, and it's better to just move on IMO. Life is too short to fret about stuff like that.:)
Cat

79ford
01-12-2013, 01:46 PM
try selling something.... You will see why the seller sold when some one stopped by with money.

I would be dissapointed too but me having sold numerous things online dont blame the guy for taking the money

Alberta Bigbore
01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Use the trader rating system.... be honest .

But that sure would be a good way to make a guy cranky...

To be honest I though this was going to be another idle no more thread lol.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
if you call someone and told them you are only your way and be there 15 min. Even told him where you are currently located , to pick up something that they are selling .they said ok and give you the address and when you are 2 block away from their place, they call you back and said it's sold i was like what you mean it's sold they said some one show up and picked it up. :angry3:

Because for every person who says "I'll take it and I'll be there in 15 minutes" and is serious, like yourself...there are a dozen morons who say "I'll take it, I'll be there in 15 minutes" and then never show up at all. Meanwhile the seller tells someone standing in from of him, cash in hand, "sorry I have a guy who says he's gonna be here soon and take it" and loses the sale.

I always tell the buyer, "first one here with the cash gets the item". Unless I personally know the buyer, there's no "layaway".

Cyclops
01-12-2013, 02:18 PM
try selling something.... You will see why the seller sold when some one stopped by with money.

I would be dissapointed too but me having sold numerous things online dont blame the guy for taking the money

I have to agree with this. Having sold a few things on Kijiji, I can tell you that lots of people say they will buy what you're selling and never show up. I think he should have just told you that it's first come first sold so that you'd know the deal. When I'm buying something privately I never expect someone to hold it for me on my word that I'll show up. I always hurry over and hope for the best but don't blame them if someone showed up before me with the money. After all, cash is king. :)

edit: By the time I clicked post, Dave had said basically the same thing. :sign0161:

Grizzly Adams
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
First guy to show up with cash buys it. Get over it. :D Too many guys in this world who make a commitment and then fail to show up. Makes for some very frustrated seller.

Grizz

jungleboy
01-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Has happened to me more than once.

On the other hand ,last year my son called about a Jeep that was selling super cheap and told them we would be there as fast as possible .We raced into the city and got there second after another guy had already showed up. They explained to the other guy that my son had called first and had first choice on it . I felt bad for the other guy but we got the Jeep. :).

Redfrog
01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't bother going if I was told first come first serve. Sell it to someone else if you want to, but I'm not going to rearrange my schedule and drive to your place to hear I just sold it. I'll just pass on it.

I once put a deposit on a truck. Left to get someone to drive it and when I came back the owner had sold it to someone who came by and offered more money. And I was only gone about an hour like I told him I would be.:angry3:

Big Daddy Badger
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Happens.

A buddy and I drove across town to look at a car a few weeks back.
He called before we let and again when we were about 10 minutes from the house.
As we pull onto the street... they call back and tell us its sold.

We watched the car drive by us...

My guess is that first come first served is taken literally by some folks.
Chances are they have been told by someone that they are " on the way" only to have them not show up.

I've had that happen to me and a lot of others I bet.

As a consequence, I'll hold something for a short time or until the time passes by which they said they would arrive but... if they are 5 minutes late and someone else shows up... to bad so sad.... you are "a day late and a dollar short".

omega50
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I am with the seller having been on the other side way too many times. People telling me they are on their way and then leaving me with an ad that I have removed that needs to be re-posted. Seller was probably waiting for the other buyer for a few days and when the guy showed up-he gave it to him.

If I want something bad enough- I EMT a deposit to the seller which I agree to forfeit if I don't show up on the day in question.

Bound2Fish
01-12-2013, 04:31 PM
First guy to show up with cash buys it. Get over it. :D Too many guys in this world who make a commitment and then fail to show up. Makes for some very frustrated seller.

Grizz

x2, money talks.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Almost as mad as the tird time I delivered all the way to Edmonton and another highly inconsiderate member couldn't even bother to call me and tell me he wasn't driving 10 blocks, let alone show up.

Worst part was I needed the room for stuff I was hauling back, huge pita.

Dacotensis
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Almost as mad as the tird time I delivered all the way to Edmonton and another highly inconsiderate member couldn't even bother to call me and tell me he wasn't driving 10 blocks, let alone show up.

Worst part was I needed the room for stuff I was hauling back, huge pita.

You know if you ever need to leave anything in town. I could probably clear an area:)

But yes, I am very clear when I am selling stuff, unless the dude is from out of town I don't hold anything. I tell em to call me when they are getting in the truck and I will give directions then. Otherwise it is first come first gets.
Sadly, the lack of understanding this arrangement, earned me my only
- itrader rating here. I'm sorry the guy didn't understand what I told him, but he did call me 2 days after initial contact to say he was heading over.
Sorry, sold!
Kijiji is a different game, but again I never give out directions hours before. I tell them to call me when they are on their way.

solocam3
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
At least he called you to let you know. A lot of people would not have bothered to phone you back.

randster
01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Because for every person who says "I'll take it and I'll be there in 15 minutes" and is serious, like yourself...there are a dozen morons who say "I'll take it, I'll be there in 15 minutes" and then never show up at all. Meanwhile the seller tells someone standing in from of him, cash in hand, "sorry I have a guy who says he's gonna be here soon and take it" and loses the sale.

I always tell the buyer, "first one here with the cash gets the item". Unless I personally know the buyer, there's no "layaway".

Well said. Most people who say this, turn into tire kickers or don't show up. I don't ever say " I'll take it " unless I mean it. Rant over

harrydude
01-12-2013, 07:52 PM
The seller needed his crack fix

Or it was stolen gear

skidderman
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
If you want to buy/sell it comes with the territory. Get used to it.

jeff5316
01-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Happened to me a few years back. I was going from Fort Mac to Edmonton to pick up a set of rims for my old truck. I told the guy because of the distance I would Transfer him the money or a deposit and he said nope you have my word they are yours. So we had an agreement to pick them up the next day. Well I got halfway down the highway and called him to tell him what time I would be there and he informs me that his wife sold them that morning. I pretty much freaked but it all worked out in the end cause I found a much better set for cheaper in Fort Mac. It's just bad though that you really can't trust anybody these days with stuff like this. But I have had so many no shows for items I was selling in the past that its pretty much first come first serve. I usually make an agreement with someone but once they don't show then I don't care who buys it then.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
If you want to buy/sell it comes with the territory. Get used to it.

+ use the feedback system so others know the deadbeats

RumRugby
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I'd be pretty miffed. People don't seem to keep their word much anymore, couldn't even wait 15 minutes?? If you weren't there after 15 minutes and he sold whatever it was then you wouldn't be right to be mad, but not even waiting??
Happened to my grandpa a few years ago, made a deal to purchase a car from a guy in Calgary, agreed to the price, even offered to send a deposit to hold the car, the guy said, no no, don't worry, the car is considered sold. We couldn't get down there for five days, he phoned up after two and said the car had been sold.
Same thing would have happened to my truck, luckily I sent the guy a deposit and he accepted it. Phoned five days before I went to pick it up said he had offers on it, I said well too bad, when I sent the deposit the guy said it was nonrefundable and the truck was considered sold. When I picked it up the transaction was rather quick, no more then 10 minutes and I was driving away.
ALWAYS put a deposit and always get a receipt with terms and signatures, then it's a legal binding contract, for large ticket items anyways.

deanmc
01-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I would be disapointed and a little frustrated but not mad. I dont blame him. I have sold items online and well a bird in the hand.....................

score
01-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes, you have to make it clear that it is first come, first gets it, unless you know the guy or feel you trust him from your communications and have a mutual understanding. However, since you were on the phone a few minutes away, etc., he should have waited that few minutes first IMO. You were on your way and he said O.K.. That sounds like a deal to me. I don't blame you for being upset. We should all use the Trader system when dealing with eachother here. Geez, why the heck is it so hard for some people to be honest and have enough brains to be considerate.? I don't care how much money is involved either, but usually it's not all that much anyways.

dantonsen
01-13-2013, 12:51 AM
first come first serve.... capitalism at work. I have had multiple buyers over at the same time for an item

Dacotensis
01-13-2013, 01:01 AM
I bought a aluminum boat this summer at a G-sale. Paid in full and said I would come back with a trailer.
While I was gone, another guy offered to pay more for the boat and told the seller to give me my money back when I came to pick it up.
They told him it wasn't theirs to sell. There are still decent people to deal with. I appreciate them. I have met many on this forum, but have dealt with all types on Kijiji. "ya I'll be there in 20 minutes".
90minutes later?

thunder_sticks
01-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Sounds about right with selling anything on the internet. I repair cellphones and constantly have people not show up for appointments. I have actually had people ring my doorbell at 1:00am for a 7pm appointment! I basically believe it when I see them and cash is king. If they can't leave me the cash I don't repair their phone, too many just drop off a phone and never come back. After a few of those they pay up front or no dice. I have a small rubbermaid container of devices that are orphans and the phone numbers are disconnected that dropped them with me.

I get them to text when they are on their way, even then probably 30% don't show up.......and it's a ten block town. Hahaha!

Kim473
01-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Subject to prior sale.