View Full Version : Eskimo z71 10" ice auger review from Canadian Tire

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
BUY IT!

That is all.

:)

Need more info?

71cc 2 stroke. $449.00 on sale.

Starts first pull, has tons of power, don't need to wind it out to blast holes, but wow does snow fly when you hit it.

I love my electric auger, but wanted 10" and my auger is too slow for big bore.

Jack&7
01-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Damn...I keep hearing good things about that auger, Ken.

I might have to look for one of those at a year-end sale or something.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Damn...I keep hearing good things about that auger, Ken.

I might have to look for one of those at a year-end sale or something.

But if you get it now you will have an awesome auger for this winter.

Jack&7
01-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Ya...I know.

Wish I could but the finances aren't what they should be....maybe the ex-wife can find it in her heart to buy one for me as that's where the money goes.

Bah....wishful thinking!

hahaha

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Ya...I know.

Wish I could but the finances aren't what they should be....maybe the ex-wife can find it in her heart to buy one for me as that's where the money goes.

Bah....wishful thinking!

hahaha

I am gone from feb 1-20, you can try mine for 3 weeks if you like.

browning375
01-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Had mine for two seasons now, and still amazes me how much ice that thing chews up in short order! Can drill 2 to 1 compared to my buddies jiffy, which really ****es him off! Lol!

madatter
01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Had mine for two seasons now, and still amazes me how much ice that thing chews up in short order! Can drill 2 to 1 compared to my buddies jiffy, which really ****es him off! Lol!

I've got a Jiffy and the Z71....
Z71 may be a tad faster.
Yes buy it but better buy spare blades n pilot point...you will need them.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I've got a Jiffy and the Z71....
Z71 may be a tad faster.
Yes buy it but better buy spare blades n pilot point...you will need them.

Burns them up fast? Can the pilot point not just be sharpened?

browning375
01-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Haven't had an issue with mine yet? Drilled a ton of holes with it and it still digs like new. Guess like everything else, some are good and some are not.

Vessey
01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
My blades have been fine for 3 years now, I just checked them last weekend and they still look new.

tonypower
01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I got one for Christmas and I love it. Sometimes I start it in the garage just to hear it run. Lol

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I got one for Christmas and I love it. Sometimes I start it in the garage just to hear it run. Lol

Heh! Mine has run more in the garage than on the ice:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I did a little 2 stroke break-in in the garage, then drilled 4 holes at the lake today. I'm sure there are many left in it.

Now to make a bolt with a finger grip so I can drop the auger easier, tuned pipe regear, bore out, turbo......:)

Dust1n
01-12-2013, 09:11 PM

I can confirm that but the blades on the Eskimo are crap once they dull they can't cut anything.

tonypower
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Heh! Mine has run more in the garage than on the ice:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I did a little 2 stroke break-in in the garage, then drilled 4 holes at the lake today. I'm sure there are many left in it.

Now to make a bolt with a finger grip so I can drop the auger easier, tuned pipe regear, bore out, turbo......:)

Lol funny but it's true. And a turbo.... Hell ya count me in.

tonypower
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Can anyone tell me what the black switch on the other side of the throttle is. Might be a stupid question but I can't Seem to figure it out lol

fishtank
01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
hows the pull cord on them ?? just double check the pull cords, befor heading out:scared:

brobinson
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Lol funny but it's true. And a turbo.... Hell ya count me in.

You can get a mini turbo for small engines on eBay! My buddy got one for his go kart! It's super cool! I don't know if it's worth $200 but it's sooooooooo sweeeettttt!

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
You can get a mini turbo for small engines on eBay! My buddy got one for his go kart! It's super cool! I don't know if it's worth $200 but it's sooooooooo sweeeettttt!

Is it electric?

Kevwood
01-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me what the black switch on the other side of the throttle is. Might be a stupid question but I can't Seem to figure it out lol

Black switch on the other side of the engine is the choke....black button on top is the decompression button...don't have my auger here, but switch on top of throttle needs to be pushed down before you can engage the throttle(safety feature) thought it was red but could be wrong...

FishingFrenzy
01-13-2013, 06:58 AM
I can confirm that but the blades on the Eskimo are crap once they dull they can't cut anything.

FH7, I didn't know you had an eskimo.

I disagree with you however, the blade on any augur is crap once its dull. I've also tried a Jiffy Model 30 with a dull ripper blade and honest to god that thing succckkkked... Almost easier to drill by hand.

Also tried a Jiffy White Lightning with brand new pristine blades, and that thing was awesome. It would definately rival my current Z51, but she wouldn't start in the cold so she got returned to WSS.

Best solution, carry a spare set of blades and make sure your current ones are in top shape.

madatter
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Dirty ice may be a lot more prevalent down south here....
Chinooks,blowing dirt,ice refereezing is a bit of bad combination.
Go thru it and Eskimo blades tend to not work well...or at all
Jiffy ripper blades are way tougher when it comes to dirty ice,no comparison.
Also been my experience to not try to reopen partly frozen holes with the Eskimo,blades don't like it.
Jiffy blades can handle that.
Ease of starting and cutting ability with good blades the Eskimo Is a winner.
Great auger but not perfect.

tonypower
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I had mine out today at the lake and every time I use it, it impresses me more. A good 18 inches of ice, maybe 10 seconds to get through.