PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous ice reports.

CBintheNorth
01-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I have seen scattered info on several threads but I thought it might be nice if there was one thread devoted to informing everyone of known sketchy spots/ springs etc, on different lakes. Not much use in keeping this kind of info secret and never assume everyone knows about them.
If we keep it strictly to honest and helpful info, maybe it'll save someone's life or at the very least, their truck.

I'll start with the only one I know of...

Lac Ste Anne on the East side of Rock Island near the main launch in town. There is a string of rocks that run in a fairly straight line from the island to shore. The ice never seems to form well on this line and I have personally seen two trucks go through when driving across.
All around the island within 100 yards can be sketchy as well early in the year.

sheepstalker
01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
that spot at st. anne is brutal for the bottom of your boat and the prop in the summertime as well

MtnGiant
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
That bad ice at Sandy Beach is a perenial thing like ice by the marina,west side by Rainier Draw and the ice by the island south of Jackfish on the west side.

I hope the person who actually wrote this doesnt mind me adding this to this OP. But it fits here.

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Baptiste lake seems to do this every year. It's started already but it's not this bad. Pics are from last year

GregT
01-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Baptiste lake seems to do this every year. It's started already but it's not this bad. Pics are from last year
seeing those pics puts baptise in the summer lake list

the pilot cock
01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
that's a great idea except almost none of us are willing to actually reveal where we go fishing. I'm shocked there have actually been a couple real lakes mentioned on this so far. I was expecting reports of thin ice 100 yards off the boat launch at lake x...

Sooner
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Lac lanonne, church camp on the eastside. There is a spring between the camp shore and island. I know because my gf and i went through on sleds many moons ago. I hear the lake is a lot lower now and not much of a issue. Still, all locals hug the shoreline when driving anything through that spot. Be aware of the potential, low water or not.

Jamie Black R/T
01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
under the train bridge at wabamun is a given.

Narrows at lac ste anne is usually rotten too if not open water.

CBintheNorth
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
that's a great idea except almost none of us are willing to actually reveal where we go fishing. I'm shocked there have actually been a couple real lakes mentioned on this so far. I was expecting reports of thin ice 100 yards off the boat launch at lake x...

No need to give any details on the actual fishing.

There are no smart a*# remarks in this thread so far because I politely asked for only honest, helpful info. So far it's been great.
I personally don't understand why someone would keep such general information a secret.

Would it be different if such information was listed beside the lake name in the regs?

bammer1
01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
I would post if I knew of any, could save someone some trouble.

bigfro47
01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Just past the locals hut village on north wabasca by the point is a large crack in the ice and flood water is almost allways present, usually 12" deep, last year there was a heave their, if you want to fish north of the point go really wide and do not go close to shore to get around

Zip-in-Z
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Seen one like this go through the ice last year were the Marina Bay channel enters into Sylvan Lake. Today there's a handful of shacks on the main lake but a further distance from the entrance/channel to Marina Bay. From what I understand a guy fishin in his shack helped save them & got them back to his shack until EMS arrived .... luck couple! You can just imagine what she told the husband/boyfriend when it was all over !!!!!

Don't go there!

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/polaris900_zpsc5152c5e.jpg

News article .... Couple survives ATV crash through ice at Sylvan Lake - A man and a woman were lucky to survive the icy cold waters of Sylvan Lake after the side by side ATV they were riding on broke through the ice on Monday afternoon.

Corporal Kevin Halwa of the Sylvan Lake RCMP says police were called to the scene at about 3 p.m., on January 2. When they arrived, they found the man and a woman who had been riding the off-road vehicle on the ice at Sylvan Lake when the machine broke through the ice. The two told police that the machine immediately went under the surface of the water and ice, taking both the driver and the passenger with it.

The two were very lucky to be able to crawl out of the water to save themselves. Corporal Halwa says they were taken to Red Deer Regional Hospital by ambulance, suffering from hypothermia.

http://beaconnews.ca/calgary/2012/01/couple-survives-atv-crash-through-ice-at-sylvan-lake/

Gust
01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
I posted a nasty area on mcgregor to avoid in a similar thread promoting ice awareness, glad to see this one still going. Maybe a mod can combine mine with this thread,, though mine was more an early ice thread.

ak-71
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I posted a nasty area on mcgregor to avoid in a similar thread promoting ice awareness, glad to see this one still going. Maybe a mod can combine mine with this thread,, though mine was more an early ice thread.

That would be nice, I can't find that.
I can see open water under the bridge on mcgregor as I drive by, but wonder how far south bad ice goes, I'd like to to try couple hundred meters south of the bridge, but ice there looks really funny and there is a spot ~ 100m SE of the bridge which stays open way longer than the rest of the area.

coyotezh
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
does anyone here know the ice condition at the farming island area of lac ste anne? any precaution if dring on? thanks a lot!

Moults
01-18-2013, 12:27 AM
How about ice conditions at wabamun? Can a guy drive from town onto the lake and follow the west shoreline? Haven't been there in a month or so, not sure about the conditions

MtnGiant
01-18-2013, 02:06 AM

You cant save someones life by lieing or withholding the truth.
It's better to give up lake info than to live w/ someone getting hurt or worse.

edsonfisherman
01-18-2013, 08:00 AM
does anyone here know the ice condition at the farming island area of lac ste anne? any precaution if dring on? thanks a lot!

That area has quite a few springs from what the locals told me last time I was out, best not take a chance and walk in that area and use only well traveled areas.

edsonfisherman
01-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Woundering what the ice has been like at chip lake?

coyotezh
01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
That area has quite a few springs from what the locals told me last time I was out, best not take a chance and walk in that area and use only well traveled areas.

ok, and thank you!

zraddy
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Anybody know anything about Mons lake near smoky lake town

chrispee
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Going to wabamun tomorrow with the wife.. Was planning om going near the town site, wondering if I can drive on. Never been there in the winter

EZM
01-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Going to wabamun tomorrow with the wife.. Was planning om going near the town site, wondering if I can drive on. Never been there in the winter

It's been a bit warm, pretty windy the last few days and some fresh snow cover - this is when the cracks and heaves start up. Be careful.

the pilot cock
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
easy boys... I wasn't saying that I wouldn't volunteer information or trying to downplay the importance of honesty when it comes to safety. I was merely poking a tiny bit of fun at how secretive some people can be on here. I really wasn't trying to offend and I didn't realize that this thread was too sacred to make such a comment.

goldeagle
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
snipe lake has very poor ice this year everyone is walking out or atv/snowmobile. there was lots of flood water on the ice a week ago. one pickup went through on the east side 100 feet from shore.

GregT
01-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Anybody know anything about Mons lake near smoky lake town

there were a bunch of trucks on it this weekend but after drilling through i wouldnt put my pick up on there. only 10" of solid clear ice.

dryflyguy
01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Cross Lake:

Decided to check out the northeast side of the lake, just past the point. Noticed only one set of tracks heading that direction so we were a bit skeptical. Gave it a go anyways. Started noticing a bit of floodwater, then a lot. Decided it was time to turn around and while doing so, the right front tire broke through a layer of about 6" of ice into about 8" of flood water. Managed to get loose after about 10 mins of pushing and got the hell out of there. Scared the crap out of us. We guessed that there was maybe 3-4" of ice under the flood water. I definitely do not recommend travelling any further than the point.