PDA

View Full Version : Disable 'Java' warning

Selkirk
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Would some of the Techies here be able to give us some advice on this - http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCABRE90A0S320130111

Not being a Techie myself, a few questions come to mind ...

- How serious is this?
- What browsers are effected? (I'm using Chrome)
- Will our anti-virus/malware software protect us?
- Under what circumstances should we take action?
- How do we disable Java?

Thanks for the help :wave:

TF

gmcmax05
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
TriggerFinger, is that your view in the pic? Awesome if it is, I'm jealous... Sorry can't help u with the Java thing unless it's coffee.

Whiskey Wish
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
As the secuirty "hole" is in Java not the browser I would "assume" that it doesn't matter what browser you are using. Alpha geeks might be able to correct me on that.

On Win Vista:

Click "Start"
Click "Control Panel"
Click "Security"
Under Internet Options slide over to "Manage browser add-ons"
Internet Properties window pops up
Click "Manage Add-ons"
It will take a moment for the list to populate
Then slide down to Oracle America under which you will find Java
Click on each line and they will highlight.
At the bottom right you find "Enable" and "Disable"
Click the one you want.
Done.

Win 7 will be very similar.
Regards,
Dave.

midgetwaiter
01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Java applets are not often used on the web anymore. You will find it usually in specific industry apps, like the software my wife uses to do report cards. Most people can probably get away with disabling it.

Here's a link that explains how. It's simple as long as you don't use Internet Explorer.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/how-to-unplug-java-from-the-browser/

Some AV packages will catch this kinda thing, Kaspersky's heuristics package is good. I wouldn't rely on it though, if you don't need Java disable it.

molly
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Java applets are not often used on the web anymore. You will find it usually in specific industry apps, like the software my wife uses to do report cards. Most people can probably get away with disabling it.

Here's a link that explains how. It's simple as long as you don't use Internet Explorer.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/how-to-unplug-java-from-the-browser/

Some AV packages will catch this kinda thing, Kaspersky's heuristics package is good. I wouldn't rely on it though, if you don't need Java disable it.

How does one know if they need it? I quite often get asked to install a new Java update. Guess I will try and disable it and see!

Comstar
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Google java virus and it explains how to disable its

Coming from a kid, Java is used mainly for gaming programs. Doesn't realy affect what you can do once its disabled unless you play games at night!

Doesn't affect interweb!

Sounds like the virus gets you when typing personal info into some of the applications that use java(banking,ect). Once it's disabled it will tell you if you click on something that needs it.

From what I've read there already working on a fix.
If you aren't on your computer for much but the normal sites (like this one) you should be safe. Other wise it might be a good ideo to disable it.

Whiskey Wish
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Oracle is supposedly releasing a new security update on the 15th to address the problem so if you disable Java it should only be temporary. Even if you have to disable longer it is simple to enable again. Nothing is lost or broken.
Regards,
Dave.

Selkirk
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice ... Much Appreciated! :happy0034:

For now, Java on my computer has been 'disabled' ... better to be safe, than sorry!

I'll wait for the Oracle (Java) security update on the 15th, and see how it goes.

Thanks Again,

TF

jackrabbit000
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
If you don't want Java, just uninstall it in Add & Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Selkirk
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
It looks like they are starting to work on it ... http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/13/us-java-oracle-security-idUSBRE90C0JB20130113

But we should probably leave it (Java) disabled for now.

TF