PDA

View Full Version : Containers to haul your augers in?

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Has anyone bought or made an auger box? Pics please.

I am going to make one out of checkerplate aluminum right away, just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing.

Pincherguy
01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Has anyone bought or made an auger box? Pics please.

I am going to make one out of checkerplate aluminum right away, just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing.

Actually I never thought of it, but good idea. Me thinks you are awise man.
PG

Alberta Bigbore
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
always put the power head in a Rubbermaid container that just fits... with cardboard inside the bottom shaped to form so it sits upright all the time.

I guess it would be easier to get a auger tube at the fishin hole and keep it all in one piece.

Bushmaster
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
You don't have time......you're supposed to be cleaning up your shop ! :D

waterninja
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
being a wood butcher i would build one out of wood. on the other hand those "permatubes" are incredibly durable and if done correctly you can make a power head container out of one quite easily. think i'll build one for the hell of it and post pics.

ganderblaster
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Was thinking about that yesterday hauling around our old heavy Jiffy. Be nice to set up a container with skis on the bottom and a handle so a guy could pull it around like you can a suitcase at the airport.

omega50
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Was thinking about that yesterday hauling around our old heavy Jiffy. Be nice to set up a container with skis on the bottom and a handle so a guy could pull it around like you can a suitcase at the airport.

Or like the powered golf bag caddies with a remote so it follows you around the lake!!!
Any modification to a golf caddy cart would be super simple. Wheels off-skis on.

deanmc
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
A buddy of mine has one of these. They are quite nice. I am sure you could build something just as good from aluminium Ken.

http://www.koendersmfg.com/iceauger.htm

FishingFrenzy
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Sounds pretty heavy to be hauling onto the ice before you can drive on. I just put my powerhead in a milk crate, and put that in my sled. Then throw the leg in beside my tent, and im good to go.

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't see the point. It's only light out for 7 hours. Does a guy really need more stuff to do? All in one piece with a plastic bag over the gas cap and a plastic cover on the lower for blade protection

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 03:49 PM
for Jiffies I find a dumpster makes a perfect container

Willowtrail
01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I bought the eskimo auger bag a couple years ago and its held up great. Auger stays together and covers leg and head. Great purchase, bag is dirty from riding in the trailer one trip but the auger looks brand new still after 2 seasons

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/8d828df4b9d0b3d84f62c36ed1471ac9.jpg

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't see the point. It's only light out for 7 hours. Does a guy really need more stuff to do? All in one piece with a plastic bag over the gas cap and a plastic cover on the lower for blade protection

Because if the pastic garbage on the power head breaks when it is -40 you get to the lake without an auger.
My plan is to remove the auger and keep the power head like new, I know if I do not do something like this is will get beat to hell.

if you don't want to, don't.

Haha! Lmao :sHa_sarcasticlol:

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Ken07AOVette;1799141]Because if the pastic garbage on the gets bagged when it is -40 you get to the lake without an auger.
My plan is to remove the auger and rep the power head like new, I know if I do not do something like this is will get beat to hell.

You need to read this and tell me what your talking about. Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect!

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Ken07AOVette;1799141]Because if the pastic garbage on the gets bagged when it is -40 you get to the lake without an auger.
My plan is to remove the auger and rep the power head like new, I know if I do not do something like this is will get beat to hell.

You need to read this and tell me what your talking about. Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect!

iPad. Autocorrect. Fixed now.

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I see now but I do have an older eskimo " barricuda." No plastic parts unlike newer augers. I guess thats why It's still around. About 6-7 pull chords and it's on it's second top end as well as second auger assembly and 8-9 blades sets.

Petri
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Ive seen where the guys use a clevis pin and a hair pin for quick removal of the head unit with is then placed in a milk create. The auger unit is then stored in a sewer pipe.

dodger
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Nissan Titan.

Dodger.

pikeslayer22
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Ive seen where the guys use a clevis pin and a hair pin for quick removal of the head unit with is then placed in a milk create. The auger unit is then stored in a sewer pipe.
Now there's a good idea! Cap on each end of a chunk of Pvc pipe and Bob's your Uncle! Have to try that one

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I store the powerhead in one of those old green superstore totes, fits perfect.

AppleJax
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I see now but I do have an older eskimo " barricuda." No plastic parts unlike newer augers. I guess thats why It's still around. About 6-7 pull chords and it's on it's second top end as well as second auger assembly and 8-9 blades sets.

With the amount of parts/work you have done to that machine, it doesn't really explain do your metal/plastic advantage.... What's with all you old school guys and your anti-plastic arguments.... Get with the times, plastic is here to stay and for a reason, its better!

Zip-in-Z
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Here's mine comes c/w handles & latch ... inside is a wrench, std screw driver, spare ice blade, file, 12" extension, spare clevis pin/bolt, emery cloth, plug wrench & spare plug, funnel & 900 ml fuel container. The box is at least 20 years old so the Styrofoam needs replacing, it's seen lots of miles & drilled 1000's of holes in MB, Ont & now Ab. Fits in the back of my truck and I had a similar set up for my trapper sleigh. It also functions as a bench/seat if req'd.

Look forward to seeing your pic's when it's done.

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010739_zps9f420bd5.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010740_zpsc914d1ad.jpg

bubba 96
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Well the propane ones anyway..lol

My 2007 jiffy 30, head in milkcrate so I can warm up on ice, otter augershield for bit all fits in ufa calf sled...with rod bag..and bucket....

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Here's mine comes c/w handles & latch ... inside is a wrench, std screw driver, spare ice blade, file, 12" extension, spare clevis pin/bolt, emery cloth, plug wrench & spare plug, funnel & 900 ml fuel container. The box is at least 20 years old so the Styrofoam needs replacing, it's seen lots of miles & drilled 1000's of holes in MB, Ont & now Ab. Fits in the back of my truck and I had a similar set up for my trapper sleigh. It also functions as a bench/seat if req'd.

Zip

That's awesome! I am going to add a padded seat to the lid!

Thanks for the pictures and info!

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
With the amount of parts/work you have done to that machine, it doesn't really explain do your metal/plastic advantage.... What's with all you old school guys and your anti-plastic arguments.... Get with the times, plastic is here to stay and for a reason, its better!

Maybe if your fish as much as me you'd have to replace top ends and not a motherboard. piston,rings,wrist pin bearing and 2 gaskets. 110$ where do you go wrong? Or just trash it and go buy a new one. And pull chords break man. Prob happens to alot of people once a year.:snapoutofit:

bubba 96
01-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Zip ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010739_zps9f420bd5.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1010740_zpsc914d1ad.jpg

And the auger...make and yr.....looks like old jiffy..

Who Da Fisherman
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Milk crate, holds my ice scoop, rod holder, small oil jug, and spare plug/wrench all in one. I notch the sides so it fits lower. For the last 10yrs no issues.

AppleJax
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Maybe if your fish as much as me you'd have to replace top ends and not angs,wrist pin bearing and 2 gaskets. 110$ where do you go wrong? Or just trash it and go buy a new one. And pull chords break man. Prob happens to alot of people once a year.:snapoutofit:
What's a motherboard? And I don't know how you figure you fish more than me, as you don't even know me... Stop being so hard on your equipment. Pull coards break from misuse. My auger only needs one pull to start
:love0025:

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Did he just kiss me??

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Did he just kiss me??

Are you blushing! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

AppleJax
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Did he just kiss me??

You earned it

AppleJax
01-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Back to subject. CopperCarbide has a nice plastic case for his Jiffy. Maybe he can post a picture of it on here. But its just extra work with only 7 hours of daylight and all....

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Back to subject. CopperCarbide has a nice plastic case for his Jiffy. Maybe he can post a picture of it on here. But its just extra work with only 7 hours of daylight and all....

Heehee :sHa_sarcasticlol:

AppleJax
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Heehee :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Some people are afraid of the dark I guess, maybe if they stayed out later they will figure out that a lot of fish species are more active at night.

Zip-in-Z
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
And the auger...make and yr.....looks like old jiffy..

Yup it's a very old Jiffy & so is my box, got the unit at Payless Fishin on Main St in WPG in the early 1980's around the same time Al Lindner started publishing the In-Fisherman. It's been overhauled once & still performs like the day I got it. I believe, I still have Al's first fishin magazine, guess that makes me old, too!

Zip ....

baptiste_moose
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm afraid of the dark. Still use a night light to this day. No but seriously, sorry to sidetrack the thread. I like that bag idea that eskimo has going. My auger is usually on a front quad rack bracket so it's kinda useless.

bubba 96
01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Yup it's a very old Jiffy & so is my box, got the unit at Payless Fishin on Main St in WPG in the early 1980's around the same time Al Lindner started publishing the In-Fisherman. It's been overhauled once & still performs like the day I got it. I believe, I still have Al's first fishin magazine, guess that makes me old, too!

Zip ....

Not old experenced, lol, just wanna get that many yrs out of mine...the jiffy has done me good as well so far..

linger
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
like waynes idea of a jiffy dumpster container lol:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
I am building the aluminum box this weekend, got to the lake yesterday and noticed I forgot the big allen key to lock the powerhead to the auger :sign0176:

(note to self- put spot in box for extra bolts and allen keys)

luckily it was loose, was able to put it in finger tight and use it anyway.

I am building a new lock bolt with a finger handle too :)

Mayhem
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I am building the aluminum box this weekend, got to the lake yesterday and noticed I forgot the big allen key to lock the powerhead to the auger :sign0176:

(note to self- put spot in box for extra bolts and allen keys)

luckily it was loose, was able to put it in finger tight and use it anyway.

I am building a new lock bolt with a finger handle too :)

Ken, you wouldn't have forgot the allen key if you had a Strikemaster :)

Extra bolts never hurt though.

omega50
01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Zip ....

I am still using lots of tackle I bought there in the 70's and early 80's.

Jbone
01-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Why do you separate the two?
Just to keep it in good shape or what?

Ken07AOVette
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Why do you separate the two?
Just to keep it in good shape or what?

All the plastic parts have me worried after the chatter in here, plus in the cab it stays warm, starts instantly. It has a lid with close able vent, so no fumes.

And, yes. In a box it won't get bumped, banged, broken during the off season.

Jbone
01-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Well good luck, looks like buddy's wooden box is the way to go. Great idea with the stryo on sides and top. I'll just hang mine, and try not to bash er around to much, my on off switch or choke will probably be the first to go.