PDA

View Full Version : do you keep a diary or record of fishing trips?

waterninja
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
just wondering how many of you keep a record of the times you head out to the water or ice? i did last year and also recorded how i did on each day. would have done this in poll style but that is way beyond my meager computer skills. i'm lucky to live close to the nsr so i can get out for 3 or 4 hours anytime i feel like it and there are lots of lakes to hit up for day trips near edm. after adding up the days i went out in 2012 it totalled 183 days which i think is pretty impressive considering i only fished 5 times in nov. and dec. due to hunting.
heading down to the nsr right now in search of my first sturgeon.

Cal
01-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Normaly I havnt, this year I'm trying to keep track a little better. I'm going to try and do what I'm calling "The Great Canadian Spoon Shootout" Pretty much I've ammassed a good colection of Len Thompson, Gibbs, and Williams spoons over the years, this year I'll try to devide my efforts more or less evenly and record the results. I havnt done alot of spoon fishing for a few years so we'll see if I can stick with this program. So far Williams is in the lead.

fish gunner
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I try to keep a record of exploits . When I fished kootaney lake I was very good at recording wy trips to the smallest detail . Now I just record weather & methods used.

coyotezh
01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
I do and I use facebook to keep all the records including the time on the day when you catch the fish. Simply set the time on your camera and it will record it precisely..

Speckle55
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Mine go back to 1979 :reading: both ice n open

David:)

Coulee
01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I have kept an angling record for about 30 years. It's fun to read and see how my fishing has evolved over the years.

FisherGrrrl
01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
I write my big trips out throughout the trip so I dont forget anything ( its crazy how much one forgets all the little things) and starting this Ice season ive started a Fishing Journal for every time I head out. I look forward to having this book and reading it 30 years later :P

Lornce
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Ive kept a fishing log for 40 years, along with fly patterns and weather. Its nice to look pack and see what worked before and what insects hatch when.

WayneChristie
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I try and get a pic of each fish, that pretty much tells me where and when as well as what.

bobalong
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I try and get a pic of each fish, that pretty much tells me where and when as well as what.

Same here I like taking pics, not to much on the writing everything down.

trapshooter
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
A picture, weather, date, time, place/location etc.

nightcrawler
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
I do not get out enough, nor do I catch enough fish to bother with a journal. I just keep it all in my head. The few fish I have caught look much more impressive in my head then they would if I wrote it down or took pics anyway! lol

lolanr
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I also keep a log. Have for the last 3 years. I like to look back on past trips on simular dates in past years. I also just like to read through it in the winter. I track weather, how many fish caught, lures, depth and bait. I recieved the journal from my brother a few years back. It has spots to track info and then add general notes and info from the day.

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
No. Just a pic of the good ones to show bald fishing buddy

GOT1!
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
My wife made me the coolest speadsheet to capture all my outings and some info related to my day. It even has a calculation for average fish per hour. (not always a good thing) I'd be more than happy to share it with anyone who could find it useful. send me a PM

Okotokian
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Why would I want to keep a record of failure? LOL

Actually, might be a good idea, so as not to repeat what I'm doing. ;)

icefever
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Been keeping a log for the last 4 years, I put Weather, Temperature, location, depths fishing, number of fish, types, types of gear used, pics if I have. Find it really helpful as the patterns seem to be consistant year to year.

kevinhits
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
just wondering how many of you keep a record of the times you head out to the water or ice? i did last year and also recorded how i did on each day. would have done this in poll style but that is way beyond my meager computer skills. i'm lucky to live close to the nsr so i can get out for 3 or 4 hours anytime i feel like it and there are lots of lakes to hit up for day trips near edm. after adding up the days i went out in 2012 it totalled 183 days which i think is pretty impressive considering i only fished 5 times in nov. and dec. due to hunting.
heading down to the nsr right now in search of my first sturgeon.

If I went fishing that much, I surely would be a divorcee..LOL

Guitarplayingfish
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I wish I did, but I don't... I have a few dates, locations, weather conditions, tackle etc. written down for those "slow" times of the year, but for the most part I am lazy.. Also, If I wrote something about every time I went fishing I would have no space left in my house :sign0161:

Darren N
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
I have for the last 5 years. just quick and simple, where I fished, what I caught it on, anything special like murky water... Comes in handy sometimes when you are planing trips.

GregT
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
i dont but really should. i keep a little journal of my hunting expeditions and going back and reading of some past hunts really sparks memories. think ill start one this weekend