PDA

View Full Version : Cabo San Lucas....

Twisted Canuck
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
....anyone been? Thinking of taking the wife for a week next month, do a little fishing. I lived in the Baja many years ago, but about 750 miles north of Cabo, so just wondering if anyone has any impressions, advice, resorts, etc? I mostly just want a place to unwind, with good staff, decent food, and nice weather. And fishing.

bowhunter9841
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Haven't been there since 94,did a ton of fishing in the 2 winters I spent there. From what I remember, the fishing from late December, to late February stinks! Water is too cold for a lot of the "big" fish. October is one of the best times for marlin I believe. If I were you, I would go drive thru the RV parks and look for someone with a boat. You will not get the full experience of what the fishing is all about on the charter boats! We did all our fishing with the guys in our RV park, and we always caught something. Did one trip on a charter boat, and it's not the way I liked to fish. Good luck on your adventure! I miss that water so much!!

sparkster
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
My wife and I went 3 years ago. Unbelievable! In my opinion one of the nicest mexico destinations. Never did any fishing but the water, weather and everything else was awesome.
Awesome surf if you likes waves, they have some world class surfing there. In many areas the shorelines are steep which causes for a wicked undercurrent and no shore swimming (due to risk) but there is always somewhere close by you can go.
Still have the odd dream of going back.

Mohr74
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Can't comment on Cabo's fishing but the fishing at Ixtapa was great when the wife and I went a few years back. Known as a sportfishing paradise, Nice area all around, very authentic and much less "Americainized" compared to many resort areas. As long as the suns hot and the beer is cold you'll be all good.

Twisted Canuck
01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
From what I remember, the fishing from late December, to late February stinks! !!

But I bet it is still better than ice fishing Slave in February.....:sHa_shakeshout: Like Mohr said, hot sun, cold beer.....and Mexican food!

Thanks for the input everyone.

Homesteader
01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Cabo is flat out Awesome. I've been a half dozen times or so. We don't normally do all inclusives, so can't comment on any of those. We usually stay at the Mar de Cortez, or Comfort Inn. I'm cheap when it comes to accommodation, but they are both very clean, safe, and good location. The dining in Cabo is great, so many places, and the weather is always good.

yoteblaster
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Been to Cabo several times. Most recent was last January. Fishing sucks this time of year. Don,t believe what the Mexicans tell you about fishing(or anything else for that matter). Cabo is awesome though.

Pegasus
01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
We went there about 5 years ago in October and stayed at the Rui Palace which was awesome. We also went fishing which wasn't great. We ended up booking a super panga because it was cheap but it was small and not really comfortable seating wise. There was no fighting chair on it so I am not sure what you would do if you did happen to catch a marlin and I would have asked our captain except he couldn't speak a word of english. When we booked the fee supposedly included live bait but once we were underway another boat met us with a bucket of mackeral and of course wanted us to pay. After a few minutes they realized I wasn't going to pay so off they went with their bait and we headed out. There was 3 of us on the boat and we did end up catching a baby tuna which we used for bait and caught a decent mahi mahi on it. On the way back an armoured ship with a gun turret on top passed us which I thought was kind of odd and when we got back we realized what they were doing. On the deck of the ship was a body covered in a white sheet with just his feet sticking out. The guys I was with wanted a closer look but I finally convinced them it might be just better to call it a day and head for a beer. Not the best fishing trip I have had....but probably the most interesting.

NBFK
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Went last year to the riu palace. Awesome resort!! Don't expect to swim because the waves crash in like crazy with huge undertow. Great night life in town.

densa44
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Baja Adventures. They are a small tour company out of San Diego, they have there own yurts and a landing strip near Bai de Angles about 1/2 way down the peninsula. The fishing is great, the sea of Cortez is what the ocean was like before the Europeans got here. Swimming with whale sharks, and seals.

Very cool.

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I love going to Cabo. We have a timeshare there.

Most of the restaurants on the harbour have great food. Soloman's Island is really good but a little more pricey than some other. The Office has amazing seafood but is pricey as well.

Across the street from Cabo Wabo is a little market with patio restaurant that makes giant burritos for cheap. I think it was $10 for a burrito that is bigger than the plate and 2 beers.

The best tacos are smoked marlin tacos at Los Claros

If you feel real adventurous rent a car and go north to Todos Santos. Really nice little town to visit and eat in. The Hotel California (apparently the one from the song) makes the best mojitos. Tacos Chilakos is the best street meat I've ever had.

There is a place on the highway on the way there just before pescadero, called Art and Beer. After paying your bill, they hand you road pops!!!! Crazy!
Dont drive on the highways at night, the cows are black and most don't seem to be penned.

Obviously I definitely love the food in Cabo

We also used a company called Cabo Outfitters for snorkelling and kayaking

Rdamours
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
I'll be watching this one for tips on where to stay and eat as well. Cabo is about the only place we haven't been as of late.

Twisted Canuck
01-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Good stuff guys, thanks and keep it coming.....I'm starting to think that fishing may not be the best use of my time and money though. :confused:

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Fishing is best in September October from what I've been told. They hold the marlin tournament in October. If your going in February, up the coast of the sea of Cortez, north of La Paz, there are a few beaches you can watch whales giving birth.

La Paz also has snorkelling with sea lions

alpineman
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Can't comment on Cabo's fishing but the fishing at Ixtapa was great when the wife and I went a few years back. Known as a sportfishing paradise, Nice area all around, very authentic and much less "Americainized" compared to many resort areas. As long as the suns hot and the beer is cold you'll be all good.

X2 on Ixtapa been ther 2 times and every time we went out we got a bill fish, tuna and Mahi Mahi. Also loved the area.

We also went to Cabo last Xmas and stayed at the Rui Palace which was great but kids could not swim in the water there because of the under tow.
We also went fishing which was terrible and we got ripped off. I would suggest you go on trip advisor and go with someone with good recomendations we went with someone with a shop in the marina they were terrible after picking us up we waited in line for fuel then we had to wait in line for our licences then for bait they had nothing ready didnt get out for another 11/2hrs and didn't catch a thing as they didn't even try to get us anything. I have fished all over the globe and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had.
We have been all over Mexico and were not to crazy about Cabo found it to be very Ameracanized don't think we will go back.

We did rent a car and drove to La paz one day.

thenaturalwoodsman
01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
....anyone been? Thinking of taking the wife for a week next month, do a little fishing. I lived in the Baja many years ago, but about 750 miles north of Cabo, so just wondering if anyone has any impressions, advice, resorts, etc? I mostly just want a place to unwind, with good staff, decent food, and nice weather. And fishing.

Cabo San Lucas is Awesome.

My family of 4 stayed at the RIU PALACE last February for $5800.00 all inclusive for 10 days, it was good especially the food, the rooms were a little dated but who cares.

My dad and I went fishing and yes it is not really peak times for marlin etc. But we went out infront of the resort to the famous lands end rock formation, and we caught yellowtail amberjacks until are arms were sore. It was good we left the marina at 6:00A:M and got dropped off at the resort by boat in time to eat a pound of bacon at the breakfast buffet. Fishing was $75 each, and best part was we didn't waste a day out pounding big waves 10 miles from shore. You can see the resorts, and the whales while you are fishing.

My wife and 2 boys are headed there again in 7 days for a 10 day trip we are not staying at the Riu Palace this year as the prices there and for most everywhere are alot higher this year.

The weather is always good in Cabo:)

STWshooter
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
For a great meal, go in to San Jose to the Tropicana. Excellent meals and occasionally top class entertainment. Across the street is Fidel's Cigar and Tequila.