PDA

View Full Version : Cigar guys

brianscott
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey guys,

Pretty new to the whole cigar scene, buddy gave me some last summer and it has started growing into something bigger.

Wondering what you guys like and where you are getting them.
The MIL brought me back some from the Dominican and they arent half bad.
Have had a few Cubans, Cohiba Robustos, Bolivar and Partagas. All were great smokes.

Cant wait till summer again, not a fan of smoking in snowboots and a parka....lol

Share your experiences.

Always looking to try new sticks.

Vingiu
01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread... My interest in cigars has been piqued recently as well. My buddies bought me a few for my 18th, and I have to say that smoking those was one of the best experiences of my life - a tad expensive, but a wonderful thing in moderation. I think my favorite was a very spicy, dark cigar from the Dominican Rep...

I think my friends bought mine from a small shop on Whyte Ave. in Edmonton... Burlington's Tobacco?

Michael

alacringa
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
I've had a few American Cigars that were OK. I would say my favourite Cuban, to date, has to be Romeo & Julieta's Short Churchill. I've heard that there are some Hondurans and Nicaraguans that are excellent...but haven't had the chance to try one, yet. Not widely experienced in the world of cigars, but I do enjoy a nice one, from time to time.

wally338
01-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I prefer the pipe, much better bang for buck.:)

fordtruckin
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Portofino macanuda!

TrollGRG
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
A great source of cigars. Even with shipping they are a lot cheaper than what you get around here. It only takes a few days to get here from Ontario.

http://cigarchief.com/

tknecht
01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
recently back from Cuba 1 box of 25 anybody want these? make me an offer. located in Lethbridge. still sealed in unopened cedar box. PM me

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I absolutely love Cuban cigars. I've never gone wrong with a cohiba but they are pricey.

For a 'reasonable' priced cigar my favorite is a Romeo et Juliette cedaros deluxe #2. Also the H. Upmann Majestic is a great lil smoke and reasonably priced. I'm not a big fan of monticristos, other than the #4.

If you liked the paratagas try a fonseca. I also love cuaba. Nice lil torpedoes. I prefer a robusto or petite corona sized cigar.

I like buying them from www.my-cuban-cigars.com
They are shipped from Cuba to Switzerland. So you can buy them online and they come Canada post. A warning though. The last two times I've made bigger orders (in the 50 cigar area) I've been taxed the tobacco tax. It's a **** off but, you are still saving money. On my previous smaller orders there weren't any problems.

Hope this is helpful

Now I want a cigar!!!!!!

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Also if your gonna buy a lot of cigars you need a humidor.

I've bought some good ones on eBay. If you get one that holds 100 you can get it shipped through ups. If its less than $20 you shouldn't be charged brokerage. The shipping and price of humidor should still be less than buying in a store.

brianscott
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I have a 50 count, with my sticks in it, hardest part about cigars is letting new ones rest for a while before smoking

Sporty
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Taking notes here, off to Cuba at the end of Feb and I will be bringing back cigars for friends and family. Good to know which ones I should be looking for

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Taking notes here, off to Cuba at the end of Feb and I will be bringing back cigars for friends and family. Good to know which ones I should be looking for

When buying in Cuba be picky. Cohibas are the most conterfeit made cigar in the world. If there is a guy selling you cigars in a box that looks fancy it probably means they are counterfeit.

All the cigars in the box should be the same colour, the same shape, should all be rolled to a central point and most importantly should smell good. They shouldn't smell like donkey poop. The box should have all the proper government stickers as well.

I've been hearing lately that you also need a receipt to get them through customs if you declare them.

Duramaximos
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
My $0.02 on humidors is...don't waste your money on a typical desk top.
Buy a small cooler and 1-2 lbs of 65rh conservation beads and you're set - Coolerdor!

Buy an appropriatly sized cooler so your cigars, and beads take-up 75% or more of the space.

Unless you are very dilligent about monitoring your humidor's rh, you can easily wind up with a box full of dry cigars...especially during our cold alberta winters. Coolerdor with conservation beads can go 2-3 months without needing any water.

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Buy a small cooler and 1-2 lbs of 65rh conservation beads and you're set - Coolerdor!

Buy an appropriatly sized cooler so your cigars, and beads take-up 75% or more of the space.

Unless you are very dilligent about monitoring your humidor's rh, you can easily wind up with a box full of dry cigars...especially during our cold alberta winters. Coolerdor with conservation beads can go 2-3 months without needing any water.

^^^^^2. Also Madeleine crystals work well for smaller humidors.

brianscott
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
I heard the limit per person is 50 cigars when coming from cuba

Sporty
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
When buying in Cuba be picky. Cohibas are the most conterfeit made cigar in the world. If there is a guy selling you cigars in a box that looks fancy it probably means they are counterfeit.

All the cigars in the box should be the same colour, the same shape, should all be rolled to a central point and most importantly should smell good. They shouldn't smell like donkey poop. The box should have all the proper government stickers as well.

I've been hearing lately that you also need a receipt to get them through customs if you declare them.

I read not to buy cigars on the street, there are a few gov run cigar shops in Havana I should go to to ensure they are authentic. Since I don't smoke them, it's good to have a list which ones to pick out from those that do. Thanks for the input :)

Can they be frozen or is that a no no?

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Please don't freeze them. You can ruin the leaves. If you freeze them, you can bring them back to 'life' by unthawing them and letting them sit in a humidor for a couple months, but that isn't guaranteed.

Also, on a side note.
When smoking them, you can let it burn itself out and pick them up again in the near future and continue smoking it. If you stub it out it will damage the natural oils in the cigar and smoking it will make it taste bad and probably be harder.

Coiloil37
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the montecristo, I'm just waiting on 25 from cigar chief now.

Sporty
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Ok, they will stay fresh if sealed though right? We will be bringing some back for a friend's wedding, the groom and his groomsmen in June

Duramaximos
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM

...good advise.

Cardinal rule#1 - Know your vendor!
Cardinal rule#2 - If a deal is too good to be true, it is! Not probably - definitely.
Counterfeits are prevalent Cuba, believe it! Buy only from a La Casa del Habano dealer.

You can search online for tips to spot fakes but you'll find it quickly becomes a daunting task. Fakes will appear very good to the untrained eye.
Buy with confidence from Casa del Habano.

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
they will definitely stay fresh if still sealed, but only for a little while.

If you need to transport a few for a small trip, put them in a zip lock bag, dampen a cotton ball or a piece of paper towel with filtered water. Put that in a smaller zip lock and poke a couple really small holes in it. This will help keep it fresh for at least 3 days.

brianscott
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
From what i have read, large tupperware and some 69% boveda humidi packs
They will regulate the humidity otherwise they will look good in june but be dried out

Duramaximos
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I read not to buy cigars on the street, there are a few gov run cigar shops in Havana I should go to to ensure they are authentic. Since I don't smoke them, it's good to have a list which ones to pick out from those that do. Thanks for the input :)

Can they be frozen or is that a no no?

YES - cigars can most definitely be frozen. In fact depending where you live it is a critical step. Cigars, depending on humidiy and climate, can be a haven for beetles. If you're in a very warm humid climate, freezing your cigars for several days can kill beetle larvae, reducing the risk that those little pests will turn your entire humidor into saw dust.

Do some reading on Cigar Asylum....the best Cigar forum on the web, imo.

Edit:
to be clear, don't bother freezing unless you have a beetle problem. Your cigars won't be damaged if they freeze, however. Received many boxes of cigars via Canada Post in the dead of winter - never a problem.

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Man i really want to break into my humidor right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sporty
01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Ok, so I guess cigars are a far cry different from cigarettes. They usually stay fresh if frozen. I'll try the Tupperware trick for the ones we bring back for June. Thanks for all the advise and glad this thread was here, I would have brought them back and tossed them in the freezer. All though these guys have probably never smoked a cuban cigar in their lives and wouldn't know the difference anyway ;)

YES - cigars can most definitely be frozen. In fact depending where you live it is a critical step. Cigars, depending on humidiy and climate, can be a haven for beetles. If you're in a very warm humid climate, freezing your cigars for several days can kill beetle larvae, reducing the risk that those little pests will turn your entire humidor into saw dust.

Didn't see this! Thanks! makes this so much easier now :)

BrownTrout
01-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Never knew that. Awesome point.
Only went on what I've been told and from personal experience in the Calgary climate.

hornhead
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
i won't buy cohibas at the duty free stores. because of the name they pump them out and don't age the tobacco leaves.

i always get monte cristos or romeo & juliettes.

for an american cigar ? try "Topper Old Fashioned" ... pretty cheap, torpedo shape (short smoke) and really quite good.

i think they are about $60 american for 50 , on line.

cheers

Twisted Canuck
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Good info on here. I'm with Alacringa, one of my favorites is the Short Churchill (R&J) as well. I buy from Cigarchief on a regualar basis (every 3-5 months), and have been very satisfied with price, and more importantly product. Recently though, I've gotten to just smoking cheapo Backwoods, Wild Rum......they suit me just fine. I do have a good cigar on occasion, but not so often anymore.

OH, and the cooler humidor works great, I've also been doing that for the last year and it works much better than the humidor I formerly used (and gave to a friend). It's the shizzle......

Faststeel
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
recently back from Cuba 1 box of 25 anybody want these? make me an offer. located in Lethbridge. still sealed in unopened cedar box. PM me

Not worth much unless you bought them from a government shop. FS

CBintheNorth
01-13-2013, 11:51 PM
One of the things I miss most about Dominican Republic is Don Lucas cigars. They were excellent but unfortunately the authentic ones never ship out of the country, just like their Ron Barcelo rum.

I'm no expert by any means but Partagas Lusitanias gets my vote for Cubans with the Hoyo de Monterrey churchhill, or Punch Punch being a close second depending on what's in the other hand drink wise.

If you're not feeling too adventurous, real Cohibas coronas or real Monte Cristos no.4s will never let you down. I stress 'real' because they are the most popular and therefore the most copied.

One thing to always remember...very few 'real' cigars come in vanilla flavour! Lol
Oh, and only buy them at the govt smoke shops and insist on a receipt.

bukwild
01-14-2013, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=hornhead;1799647]i won't buy cohibas at the duty free stores. because of the name they pump them out and don't age the tobacco leaves.

I worked and lived in Cuba for about 4 years, married a cuban and for the last 10 years have been visiting our family there at least once a year. I have REALLY learned to like a good cigar. In my humidor and "Igloodor" at the moment are:

Cohiba Siglo I
Cohiba Siglo II
Cohiba Siglo VI
Cohiba Esplendidos
Montecristo #4
Montecristo #5
Montecristo Tubos
Romeo and Julieta #1 tubos
San Cristobal de Habana Mercaderes
Drew Estates Dirty rats
Drew Estates Dirt torpedos
Bolivar Petit Coronas
Rey Del Mundo Lunch Clubs
Trinidad Reyes
Estilo Cuban Torasos

All Cuban tobacco co-operatives must give 100% of their harvest to the government. After sorting and curing (up to two years) the government gives the co-operative 10% of the harvest back to do as they please with it. The island of Cuba contains about four different tobacco regions growing five different grades of tobacco. Cohiba, Montecristo and many other of the finer Cuban cigars come from the vuelta abajo region near Pinar del rio. Particular leaves of the plant are used for different parts of the cigar and thusly are cured and aged diffently but all vuelta abajo tobacco is "aged" by the same processor for all these brands and then distributed to the particular cigar factory where they are rolled. So your statement above would not be quite correct.

Also on the note of counterfeits. The 10% of tobacco that is given back to the co-operatives and is sold by the farms and workers that grow them. If you visit a farm you could buy cigars rolled by the same people who work in the factory, using the same tobacco used in the factory for less than half the "boxed" price. Keep in mind that most Cubans have at least one relative somewhere in the family who is involved in the tobacco industry so there is no counterfeit tobacco (you might find counterfeit cigars but rarely). Educate yourself on how to determine a good cigar for draw, composition and colour and you will almost never go wrong buying in the street.

Gunfighter
01-14-2013, 09:12 AM
In my opinion since, I believe 1962, the cuban government took over the industry. Their cigar quality has dropped greatly. The Dominicain has over taken them in Quality
I guess my favorite profile is the Maduro's
I am a huge fan of Rocky patel "The Edge" and "Fifthteenth Aniversary"
My Favorite non Patel is the A. Fuente Short Story. CAO also make some Great smokes, Last summer in Balitmore I bought a few Punch of different profiles very good as well
Cigar Chief is the best site i have found in Canada, if someone knows better please post it for the rest of us.
What ever ever your taste profile becomes, welcome to hobby and enjoy.

P.S if you smoke in the garage in the winter , close the wife's vehicle windows :)

mudhunter
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
I prefer the pipe, much better bang for buck.:)

What would you suggest for someone looking at starting to use a pipe? Like what pipe/tobacco to start off with.

brianscott
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Cohiba Siglo I
Cohiba Siglo II
Cohiba Siglo VI
Cohiba Esplendidos
Montecristo #4
Montecristo #5
Montecristo Tubos
Romeo and Julieta #1 tubos
San Cristobal de Habana Mercaderes
Drew Estates Dirty rats
Drew Estates Dirt torpedos
Bolivar Petit Coronas
Rey Del Mundo Lunch Clubs
Trinidad Reyes
Estilo Cuban Torasos

some great sticks in here, been reading about the DE Dirty Rats, and the torps.
Heard lots of good things about the BPC, Siglo V, and the RyJ #1, cant get any of these around here without remortgaging my house. One day I will bite the bullett and buy some.

Neat to here from someone with extensive first hand experience.