PDA

View Full Version : Seniors and computers...

silverdoctor
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
You've heard of the phone calls from "microsoft" scam, well I got a call today from the elderly father of one of my clients... Repeated threatening phone calls from some idiot with a mexican accent claiming he would cut the computer off if this fellow didn't let the tech in to remove the viruses on their computer.

Well after having the crap scared out of him, he relented and allowed it - and paid the $269.00 fee. The "tech" got him to log into logmein.com and of course allow remote support. This old man said he watched the mouse move around, programs opening, internet browser popped up etc. Once he gave the credit card, of course his computer ceased to function. He called me in a panic.

Of course there's malware on his system now, E-SET to be exact - not ESET Nod32. Removed it but the activation is toast and of course he hasn't got the installation key when he bought XP home. Probably a pirated copy. Now he needs to buy a windows license - $125 for windows 7 home.

To make matters worse, he had an issue with his computer and a tech came in claiming he needed to replace it. Fair enough, the tech got him to sign a contract with the company in RED DEER - he's in Edmonton... So whenever he had an issue with his computer, the tech was dispatched from Red deer to fix it. Costs of travel and repairs were getting silly. Don't ever sign a contract with a computer company for your home computer.

If you don't know, you don't know - but please, educate those around you. Microsoft will NEVER call you out of the blue. The only times i've received any calls from them is after I had to call them for information or a purchase, even then it's a customer satisfaction survey.

As it is, i'm going to be into this for at least 5 hours for on site, running back and forth, formatting and installing fresh etc. The only bill he's getting is for the Windows 7 license, won't be charging for my time. And I still have to deal his bank, they want to know exactly what transpired to see if a refund is warranted. I told him to buy a referee whistle or an air horn for any future phone calls he may receive.

I had a boss years ago that told me something i'll never forget. Where you are, i've been - where I am, you'll be. I've never forgotten that.

Be nice to your elders.

Dacotensis
01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Fricken Microsoft. The putz calls me every couple of weeks.
I play around and tell him I'm home right now and send out a tech.
Nimconpoops! You think habib would get the idea I'm not falling for his antics.
It must be terrible to not have any idea of the scams that can be pulled.
Elderly especially.