PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find bait up north...

perchie15
01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I have no clue where to find bait, specifically looking for meal worms I work up north in rainbow lake and drive south to white court, just wondering if u guys know of any towns that carry them and what stores... Thanks in advance!

Wild&Free
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
I picked up some mealworms and maggots from Wholesale Sports in Grande Prairie. They also have worms and minnows.

AdverseCity
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Not sure about your area but for gas stations around Calgary the only ones that stock bait are "Husky", they have smelts, herring, anchovies, maggots, mealworms, regular worms and European nightcrawlers. On a side note if you ever want fresh herring for catching big pike check out superstore, fairly cheap as it's about $5.00 for 8-10 large herring.

Kim473
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Should be some places in whitecourt.

edmonton floater
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
It's the same in Grande Prairie, the Husky near the Showgirls in the industrial park has bait in the coolers to the left as you walk in.

Big Dog Al
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Petro Can (aka Moose Country in Whitecourt) sells bait...

perchie15
01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Ok and how about places north of peace river?? I drive threw there. Not GP sadly :( I know petro can in PR sells minnows but I looking for meal worms.. Or even maggots? Thanks for ur guys help

edmonton floater
01-14-2013, 03:37 PM
You may be able to try the gas station in Grimshaw, I haven't been thru there in years but from what I remember they did have some.
How far North and which direction are you going?

Wild&Free
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Ok and how about places north of peace river?? I drive threw there. Not GP sadly :( I know petro can in PR sells minnows but I looking for meal worms.. Or even maggots? Thanks for ur guys help

I don't make it over to PR very often, try the Canadian Tire there, they might have something, otherwise check Huskies, and maybe do a Google or yellow page search of PR for a sporting goods store. Mclouds in High Prairie sells bait if that helps, not sure if they have mealworms though.

dale7637
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM

The shell in town here used to have bait, but I belive that they no longer carry it.

Homesteader building in manning may be your best bet.

magnummike
01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
The latest rage in Ontario for trout is GULP ...or trout power bait ...same thing ..it's like play doe....comes in fluorescent colours and is best with the sparkles.

The rainbows here are going nuts for this stuff!!!!

Only thing is it floats....so you have to set a sinker 4' away from the bait and it will float 4' off bottom.....or whatever height works for you.
Roll it into a 3/4" to 1 " ball and insert a #12 treble inside...completely buried and the trout will swallow it every time!!!!

We're fishing close to aquaculture cages and loading up...

perchie15
01-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Ill be coming from rainbow like then I drive threw high level, manning, PR, then nampa, then peace river then valley view and fox creek and white court... Place in high prairie I might stop at thanks for that, and not really any husky gas station there south of PEace, the gulp eh? I haven't had much luck with fake bait. Guy I was fishing near was catching rainbows one after another with meal worms and prob about 2-4lbers!!! Perfect sizes!! If I so find meal worms ill be tryin swan lake heard that lake is pretty good the one on the way to GP..

perchie15
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Anybody kno of any fishing places in peace river???

perchie15
02-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Or manning??

mooseman1
02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
dude you go right by some pretty great fishing spots , at the chin, haybay are both close to rainbow, there is some bait here in la crete at the UFA .

jaystev
02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine works in rainbow lake if you go into the hotel in town and askaround im sure youd be pointed in the right direction theres awesome fishing up there

KegRiver
02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I raise my own meal worms, for the birds.

If you can't find any, drop by, I'll give you a few.

TROLLER
02-02-2013, 04:51 PM
As an emergency back up I always carry the artificial baits. Maggots, worms they seem to work well.

fogducker
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
go to robbies sports in valley view he has them and other baits.next to the home hardware on main street its like a block off the highway.

perchie15
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
In rainbow lake? What hotel u talking about? One by esso? Or the grocery store?
Oh I kno I go by some good spots but I also don't Carry a auger with me so I'm not willing to go to far off the highway just incase can't find holes... And yea la Crete Is a bit out of my way to pick any up sadly.. But valley view is perfect thanks ill stop there on my way up next week!!

Shmag
02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
If its anything like the slave lk area, good luck finding bait. Most are sold out or have a couple packs of maggots, but they are black....another couple days and they might just fly away.

Not sure whats happening with the bait outfit, but think slave had only one fresh delivery this year...

perchie15
02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
wow i know eh.. but even in the summer going threw manning,peace river, and highlevel, hardly any towns like that seems like further north u go the less availability for bait, usually they have minnows but thats it!!