PDA

View Full Version : Watching a Creek Die!

Don Andersen
01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
WATCHING A CREEK DIE! ONE MAN’S OBSERVATION

It isn't pretty but it's happening to the premier spring creek in Alberta. The North Raven River [Stauffer Creek] is internationally renowned. From when it was first stocked in the late 1920's or early 1930's it was largely ignored by most anglers and like a lot of streams in Alberta was severely abused by agribusiness. In the late 1960's the Red Deer Fish and Game funded Fish and Wildlife [now Alberta Sustainable Resource Development SRD] to do a fish population study. The study plus the availability of monies raised from the newly created Buck for Wildlife Fund resulted in tens of thousands of dollars spent on livestock exclusion fences, bank stabilization and land acquisition. The Fish and Wildlife Division efforts were augmented later by thousands of volunteer hours, plus further thousands of dollars from the Central Alberta Chapter of Trout Unlimited. As a result the fish populations exploded.

Way back about 2002 or so I had a gut feeling that Stauffer Creek was suffering some type of problem as the number of decent fish I and others were catching dropped dramatically. The drop was to the point that most anglers voted with their feet and didn't go there any more.
My gut feeling was reinforced by the Alberta Conservation Association's [ACA] Population study undertaken in 2005. It showed a marked drop in larger brown trout. The brown population peaked in 1985 at 770 fish/km decreasing to 400 in 1995 and falling further in 2005 to 270.

In an effort to confirm what I "thought" was happening, over the past 6 years I have paid attention to the number of redds that I see and to that end I've walked the upper reaches of Stauffer upwards of one-half dozen times each fall/winter looking for evidence of spawning trout demonstrated by the amount of redds. For example, in the section just downstream of the Buck for Wildlife parking lot, the redd count dropped from 14>16 five years ago to 12 fours years ago to 9 three years ago and dropped again to 5 last year and finally to 2 this year. This is a 85% reduction in just the last five years. Other sections showed much the same decrease.

For the complete report see my web site:

http://bamboorods.ca/Stauffercreekstory.html

regards,

Don

Bowfloat
01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Don
I fear the numbers you see now will be considered great numbers in comparision to what will be.

We are told that the trees have pine beetle so it is to be clearcut to stop there progress.
Then we are told there is oil under this and since there is not much in the way of wildlife in the area. Drill Baby Drill
But have no worries when they are finished raping and pillaging this and other simalar areas you will be told have no worries they will turn it back to the no wildlife clear cut ground it once was.
And the best part you will be able to drink the water, they wont but you can.

It won't be long till all fish caught will be C&R only because it will be considered not suitable for human consuption

AppleJax
01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
When I was in the JFR in 2001 we tagged and released leopeord frogs at the raven trout broodery. They were doing a raising stocking program there. Anyone know if they are still doing that?

Lornce
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
This breakers my heart, it was such a lovely stream, I didn't fish it a lot but it was very good to me when i did. Haven't been up there for the last 3 years so haven't recent experience on that bit water.

tight line
01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Very sad, caught my largest brown there, 24"...Did not fish it last year, and think it will stay low on my list, in a effort to help it recover. Beautiful stream!

Bhflyfisher
01-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I hit in a couple weeks ago in the upper reaches. Maybe saw a total of 5-6 fish and hiked a solid 4 km, no fish in winter holes. But i did see 1 big brown, huge dark shape shot out under my indicator and spooked. So unless it was a pike. Most of the fish that i saw were brookies, and all under 10".

Compared to what im used to seeing the the winter (many fish in the wintering holes, DID NOT SEE A SINGLE ONE), was not impressed and wont be back again this winter. Rather drive the extra 45 minutes and hit the bow.

Just my observations.

jacenbeers
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
You have outlined an important problem but what is the cause of the problem? Is it natural resource exploitation in the region? Is it over harvesting? Maybe it is time to lobby for a C&R only fishery.

Don Andersen
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
What really gets my attention: there has been <> a million bucks spent on this creek + thousands of hours of habitat work and since 1985 the populations have been decreasing and here we sit whining on the Internet.
Maybe, just maybe, we should take those responsible for our fishes to task and ask them the big question: what you been doing for the past 25 years?
Anybody know of a motivational therapy?

Don

Dust1n
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Me and a buddy hit stauffer creeks upper reaches in winter last season and the amount of brookies we seen were astonishing. They were running into our waders from being spooked. We didn't see a single one over 10" but it was enough to keep him flyfishing.we also ran into one very colorful brown trout sitting in under the willows only about 12-13" but man was it golden but this year I can see the fishing deteriated noticeably and for the guys who have been fishing it for decades I can see we're your getting at. Such a sad sight to see but the people who have fished it lots can go back at any giving day and can catch browns that reside at the same holes every year. I haven't been out there this season from all the homework I'm receiving I just don't got the time.

Dust1n
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I wondering if it has something to do with people stepping over/wrecking the redds. It's such a small stream that people would rather walk over the redd then walk through the willow walls

BuckHunterBowen
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
An outfitter must have permits in that dandy little stream.

0liver
01-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Anyone think that the massive amount of brookies are out-competing the browns? I think FH7's observation of people trampling over the redds is also a viable cause for this sad situation.

I still believe that it can be saved though, just need to find out what the main issue is and address it accordingly.

my 2 cents
Oliver

Pikebreath
01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Don,

"Back in the day", I spent several days working with the TU volunteer crews removing beaver dams, building gabions and so on. I am also one of the anglers who has voted to get my feet wet in other waters ,,,, I haven't fished the creek in at least a dozen years.

It indeed saddens me to hear that the browns in Stauffer have delined by such magnitude.

I read through your observations and am wondering what "you think" may be the problem. From the sounds of it, there isn't any hard data that links cause(s) and effect(s) to this magnitude,,, but as you say we haven't looked at everything yet either.

The increased weed and algae growth might point to increased nutrient (in particular phosphorous) levels. However, I am sure water quality tests would have checked for this, right?

Has anyone actually identified the weeds and / or green algae? I do not recall ever seeing any rock snot (didymo) in Stauffer, but it has been a dozen years since I have fished there. It is my understanding that didymo actually thrives in clean, fast flowing cold water. Is it possible that invasive plant species (didymo or other) could have been somehow been introduced?

Don Andersen
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Folks,

There are a whole lot of questions and frankly few answers. As as far as Brooke's co-existing together. They do inter-breed. The has been ONE brown/brook hybrid fond in the past 40+ years. Hardy an issue. Pike have have existed in the creek for a long time perhaps forever. I've seen very few <>3.
Unless someone with more skills than I starts to take an interest in the place, another creek will bite the dust
Can we as a community allow that to happen?

Don

BeeGuy
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Has the freshet been more pronounced in recent years?

Any records of this kept?

Don Andersen
01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Bee..

Stauffer creek is a spring creek with the primary source a number of springs whose chemical makeup is exactly the same as the Clearwater river. There is a small tributary that will flow 1>3 times the normal flow during extreme rains or for about a week when the snow load melts.
This is one benign water course. No destructive floods!

Don