PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry?

Pincherguy
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
:test: This may have been posted before, if so I missed it and I apolagize.
When you are hunting on foot what do you carry with you?
I carry my knife, a 20 foot piece of rope, my lunch, gps and two shells. I always take two just in case I lose one.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG:snapoutofit::character0175:

graybeard
01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Good start;
Add to the list and I try not to go very heavy for a day trip.
Olfa knife with 3 blades
Wyoming field saw
one 6" tensor bandage and 1/2 roll of hockey tape
6 band aids and 6 alcohol swabs
2 hand warmers and space blanket
one boot lace
mini mag flash light and extra batteries
Kids whistle
2 Bic lighters or wind proof matches
bottle of water
small strip of "mole skin" if a blister is forming
tags
cell phone
break down cleaning rod and appropriate brush (this is used only for an emergency in the field not at home)
orange survey tape
toilet paper

I never hunt more than 2 miles from my vehicle and my wife knows where I am hunting with the name and contact number(s) of the land owner.

Good luck

winger7mm
01-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Aside from the typical things, IMO 20' of rope isnt much expesially while chasing elk lol. When I shot my bull i was alone and hours from anyone coming out to give a hand. I used a good 50 just to get him gutted. Real easy when all his legs are tied up to trees lmao.

Flagging tape is lovely to have, expesially if you have to track a blood trail.
A knife sharpener, as well as 2 or 3 different knifes (one being a multi-tool)
I like to have a hatchet along aswell.
Paper towels are nice to have along side a few large freezer bags.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Rifle, tags and shells.

knife, rope, binoculars.

HunterDave
01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
:test: This may have been posted before, if so I missed it and I apolagize.
When you are hunting on foot what do you carry with you?
I carry my knife, a 20 foot piece of rope, my lunch, gps and two shells. I always take two just in case I lose one.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG:snapoutofit::character0175:

Speaking from experience, you might want to buy one of those wallet type ammo carriers and carry more ammo. Been there, done that.

I have a fanny pack with all of my goodies in there so I just have to grab it and I know that I have everything that I need. Spare lighter, plastic bags for the heart and liver, head light, tow harness to pull the deer out, folding saw for moose, small knife sharpener, trail marker tape, doe in heat scent, throat lozenges, band-aides, hunting license & tags, granola bar, along with the usual knife, gps, ammo are all in there. The pack stays in my truck all hunting season long so all that I need is my rifle when I head out. :)

EDIT* I forgot the #1 item to have in my fanny pack..........TOILET PAPER!!!!

Okotokian
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Depends completely on where I'm hunting (and I assume we are talking big game).

If it's at the ranch I usually hunt, which I know like the back of my hand and can drive anywhere to pick up game, I go light.
-rifle, ammo, tags/licenses. For ammo I'll have 4 in the clip and 4 more in wallet. Recall story of a fellow who went with only 3, ended up having to butt stroke the deer to finish it. No thanks.
-binos
-rangefinder, SPOT (yeah, SPOT's probably overkill, but I have one, and I could always break a leg, etc. LOL)

If I'm hiking deep into less well-known crown land, for example, I'll also add in a fanny pack:
-GPS, compass.
-Fixed blade knife, folding saw, butt-out, gloves.
-Small first aid/fire-making kit.
-some thin cord plus some webbing for dragging or strapping to my back.
-Bear spray if bears are common there.

Clothing is too dependent on a variety of situations to list.

rwm1273
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Rifle, tags and shells.

knife, rope, binoculars.

These are in my pockets. I also usually carry a small backpack with spare gloves, another toque, some food such as a chocolate bar, smokies, and a juice box or two, and a half liter of water. I usually have my small gps and always some paper towels, and latex gloves and a lighter.

fishtank
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
if i am hiking i have a backpack with everything i need in it, garbage bags, water bottle , snacks, knife,first aid a lighter, survival kit, ropes, flashlight, flare gun , axe. compass,i could probably survive a week in the woods.
if iam on a day hunt like a few hour in the woods just my gun and few bullets and a knive and a bottle of water and small snack and some toilet paper. i leave everything else in the car.

Pincherguy
01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Speaking from experience, you might want to buy one of those wallet type ammo carriers and carry more ammo. Been there, done that.

I have a fanny pack with all of my goodies in there so I just have to grab it and I know that I have everything that I need. Spare lighter, plastic bags for the heart and liver, head light, tow harness to pull the deer out, folding saw for moose, small knife sharpener, trail marker tape, doe in heat scent, throat lozenges, band-aides, hunting license & tags, granola bar, along with the usual knife, gps, ammo are all in there. The pack stays in my truck all hunting season long so all that I need is my rifle when I head out. :)

EDIT* I forgot the #1 item to have in my fanny pack..........TOILET PAPER!!!!

Just joking about the shells, a little inside joke with my lead slinging boys.

Dick284
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=45380

rugatika
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Recall story of a fellow who went with only 3, ended up having to butt stroke the deer to finish it. No thanks.

Isn't bestiality illegal?

Okotokian
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Ruga, expect incoming Mod IM anytime now! LOL ;)

Seriously, not sure if it's illegal if you have the tags and downed it with a rifle. have to go over regs. I'm not even sure if it was in Alberta though.

Just took a wander through the regs... nothing indicating it would be illegal. Who knows about the Wildlife Act or it's interpretation... I have no doubt a motivated officer could probably find something to charge you with.

Rocky7
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
.45 Colt 1911 in a shoulder holster and toilet paper. If one doesn't work, I'll need the other for sure.

(just kidding!)

Okotokian
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
.45 Colt 1911 in a shoulder holster and toilet paper. If one doesn't work, I'll need the other for sure.

(just kidding!)

So by "just kidding" you are admitting that you really don't carry toilet paper when you are hunting? Daring.... LOL

buckmasterjr
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Rifle, knife, bullets, tags, phone, gps.

dumoulin
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I carry a loaded gun, walking stick, two clips with shells, tags, range finder, binos, knife, folding saw, blue shop towels, rope, small flashlight, extra gloves, lighter, gum and illegal fireworks.

TomCanuck
01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Does anyone not carry a compass? A fundamental piece of kit in my view.

dumoulin
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Why carry a compass when you have a GPS or a phones with ihunter? By the time the batt. die, you'd have made it back.

magnummike
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Every time I watch a hunting show I can't help myself but to laugh and criticize.
You see these wannabe guided hunters carrying these huge packs on their backs fumbling around....

WTF....are they going....?:snapoutofit:
Wtf.....do they have in there?....HOLY CRAP...these guys must be afraid of the bush....gotta be!!!

When I go hunting I like to travel super light.....2 pepsi's, 1 gun, 1 choc. bar,
2 magazines, spare bullets, compass, matches and a knife......that's it...!!

NOTHING ELSE....

Are you going for 3 days.....????

Dick284
01-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Does anyone not carry a compass? A fundamental piece of kit in my view.

Of course you never checked out the link I posted, a while back on the same subject

Jamesrude
01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Rifle/bow 10 bulets/5 arows skinning knife letherman binos rangfinder( if I am bow hunting) gps and some extra close like rain coat.

TomCanuck
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Why carry a compass when you have a GPS or a phones with ihunter? By the time the batt. die, you'd have made it back.

You'd better hope so. A good compass is all but impervious to failure. Cheap insurance / redundancy.

dewalt18
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Rifle and 10 rounds (just what the wallet holds)
Knives and sharpener
First aid kit
TP
GPS and compass
Whistle
Bic lighter and waterproof strike anywhere matches
Survival Blanket
camera
TP
food, water, coffee, butter ripple
Probably more, it always seems heavy! lol

dumoulin
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
You'd better hope so. A good compass is all but impervious to failure. Cheap insurance / redundancy.

For sure. I never venture too far away and have a good sense of direction. If I ever had a big trip to do, I'd dump the phone for a compass.

Red Bullets
01-15-2013, 12:07 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned honey.
Honey is a high energy food that will give you that little boost towards the end of the day.Certain food stores carry honey in straw like tubes. I carry a ziplock with 10 or 20 tubes. Even if you are out for a few days, honey is an excellent sweet treat. Even try glazing your campfire fish or meat with honey.

Just watch your back track in bear country. They like honey too. Especially honey glazed hunters.

Kevwood
01-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't usually pack too heavy, things posted here have been pretty well covered, I see one guy brings a collapsible gun cleaning kit...a friend of mine told me 10 years ago to carry a piece of "doorbell wire" or any high gauge sheathed wire that you can hook a rag and run through your barrel after inadvertently plugging the muzzle full of mud or snow...a must in my pack that takes up minimal space and is used more than I care to admit...the sticks and grass dont tend to get the barrel too clean and can end the hunt before it begins...