PDA

View Full Version : Molly goes job hunting!

molly
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Well, I feel silly posting this but after seeing others ask for advice, I thought that it can't hurt. (Or could it? This is AOF!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:)
I have been out of the regular workplace for over two years, having kept busy enough with this ranch we work on, fencing repair jobs, etc. I have been rooting through Kijiji, Indeed.jobs, and Calgaryjobshop religiously but can't seem to find anything that suits. I am trying to find something part-time, with flexible scheduling (to accommodate commitments on the ranch, among other things), that pays a decent hourly wage, is something I find interesting and is preferably less than an hours drive. I live 25 minutes SW of High River, so that last is difficult. If I have to drive an hour plus, the wage has to go up or it is too costly.
I have a lot of retail background, am considered very creative, love animals, gardening and flowers, food and drink, photography. My past jobs have included kitchen design, working for an architect/builder, real estate and mortgages (could not handle the commission concept!), retail (kitchenware), and now caretaking a ranch with the Hublet (which in itself is great but we do not get wages, only a nice house, unless we do extras like painting, carpentry, etc.). I wish we could find something like this but that pays a salary!!
Money for any retraining is not in the cards at the moment. We may move down to Pincher Creek in the next year or two so I would feel guilty being trained somewhere and then leave, unless they had other branches to transfer to. I have tried at UFA a few times but for some reason have had no luck.
It can even be temporary or seasonal, but my depleted bank account and looming debts dictate that I need to find something SOON!! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Snow plow operator?

pseelk
01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Have you tried working in a greenhouse?It is seasonal but they should be getting ready for the spring planting soon.

Okotokian
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
There is a major employer just a touch north of High River always looking for employees, but you aren't going to like it. Think of another name for an automobile and part of a fish. :scared0018:

Sprung Structures at Aldersyde might be a good bet.

Maybe a small kennel if your landowner lets you? 4 dogs = $100 a day, 7 days a week. Perhaps some other business you could do from home so you would have 0 commute.

Selkirk
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
. . . Maybe a small kennel if your landowner lets you? 4 dogs = $100 a day, 7 days a week . . .

Oki just might be on to something here ^, Molly!

I know from personal experience that the greater Calgary area does not have enough kennel operations to meet the demand ... during the peak seasons, most are booked up solid.

Gawd (and I :)) know that you're more than qualified!

TF

molly
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
There is no way I can operate a kennel where we are. I would not even ask! They are very private people. Thanks, though!
No snowplows or giant vehicles for me! Too scary!
And Cargill? You know me better than that, haha! Every time I drive by there I think of becoming a vegetarian. But then I get over it!

molly
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Have you tried working in a greenhouse?It is seasonal but they should be getting ready for the spring planting soon.

Yes, I have. They seem to be full time mainly. And many pay less than $10.00 an hour, for very hard work. Not sure why that is.

recce43
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
peavey mart in high river , school bus driver they train and pay for it.

omega50
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
My stepdaughter started working part time doing supervised visitations for the courts in Child Custody disputes. She works rurally North of Calgary and gets paid well and paid for all travel.

sourdough doug
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I hear you...Working on commission is a beach, not like a gov't job..

aulrich
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Municipalities will be ramping up thier seasonal hiring soon. When I say soon I mean start calling.

molly
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
... school bus driver they train and pay for it.

My stepdaughter started working part time doing supervised visitations for the courts in Child Custody disputes. She works rurally North of Calgary and gets paid well and paid for all travel.

Might be OK for someone who likes kids...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Albertadiver
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
No offence, but your list of pre-requisites are rather high, especially given your location.

All the best in your search though.

molly
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
No offence, but your list of pre-requisites are rather high, especially given your location.

All the best in your search though.

Well, I suppose wanting a decent wage for doing something that is not boring on a part-time basis less than an hour away is asking too much, but I remain hopeful! :)

FishingMOM
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, I suppose wanting a decent wage for doing something that is not boring on a part-time basis less than an hour away is asking too much, but I remain hopeful! :)

Define decent wage:
What is not boring to you:
What do you enjoy doing:

Grizzly Adams
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Snow plow operator?

School bus driver. :D Very popular with farm wives.

Grizz

FishingMOM
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
School bus driver. :D Very popular with farm wives.

Grizz
Already suggested - said she isnt fond of kids.

molly
01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Define decent wage:
What is not boring to you:
What do you enjoy doing:

I think $14-17.00 an hour is fairly decent. I was getting $14. for the last retail job I had, a couple years ago. I'd likely settle for less if I didn't have to travel too far. I had an interview today and was basically told she would be offering close to minimum wage as I would need training ( this was a florist). I get paid $17.50 to help repair old barbwire fencing (which we do every summer for a while), and $20.00 for extra work here on the ranch, like painting and gardening.
I wish I could afford to retrain but the money just isn't there. Make sure your kids do not acquire degrees which have no use in the job market, haha!!
Like I said, I am an animal person, enjoy gardening, have a creative eye. While I like people, working solo wouldn't bother me. I really liked refinishing our boss's huge complicated deck last summer...The hospitality industry is interesting (i.e. hotels, inns...). My problem is I have too many interests!

What does not appeal is sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day but I can't type so that wouldn't happen anyway! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

FishingMOM
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I think $14-17.00 an hour is fairly decent. I was getting $14. for the last retail job I had, a couple years ago. I'd likely settle for less if I didn't have to travel too far. I had an interview today and was basically told she would be offering close to minimum wage as I would need training ( this was a florist). I get paid $17.50 to help repair old barbwire fencing (which we do every summer for a while), and $20.00 for extra work here on the ranch, like painting and gardening.
I wish I could afford to retrain but the money just isn't there. Make sure your kids do not acquire degrees which have no use in the job market, haha!!
Like I said, I am an animal person, enjoy gardening, have a creative eye. While I like people, working solo wouldn't bother me. I really liked refinishing our boss's huge complicated deck last summer...The hospitality industry is interesting (i.e. hotels, inns...). My problem is I have too many interests!

What does not appeal is sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day but I can't type so that wouldn't happen anyway! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

have you applied to work in a vets office?

artie
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
I hate to say it and do not mean to insult you but if you start at the Walmart at Okotoks then you might be able to transfer to the Walmart at Pincher Creek. I have no idea what Walmart pays probably not much.

molly
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
have you applied to work in a vets office?

I keep checking but they prefer someone with vet reception training (I checked...$over $7000.00) or some tech training. These are Calgary clinics. Local ones may differ but I have not seen any postings recently.
A good pal of mine works at the Calgary Humane Society but she told me I could not handle it there as I become a complete basket case, what with all those sad critters needing homes.

molly
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I hate to say it and do not mean to insult you but if you start at the Walmart at Okotoks then you might be able to transfer to the Walmart at Pincher Creek. I have no idea what Walmart pays probably not much.

Thank you. No, you are not insulting me and I do shop there, but I am trying to avoid the big monster stores, as I do not like being in them much. Not sure what they pay, but I have seen them during their 9:00 woo-hoo pep rallies, and I just can't do that! Sorry! :)

FishingMOM
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Only thing I can think of that will keep you out of hot water - but I have no idea how well it pays is pet sitting and dog walking.

Twisted Canuck
01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
How about a grow op, since you like gardening and the place is very private. I understand there is pretty good money in it and you wouldn't have to travel often, just for marketing maybe......though I have never dabbled with it and don't use 'medicinals'......:)

OK, just kidding, but it seemed like the best answer I could come up with considering the criteria you gave.

I got nothing else, sorry friend. :scared:

molly
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
How about a grow op, since you like gardening and the place is very private. I understand there is pretty good money in it and you wouldn't have to travel often, just for marketing maybe......though I have never dabbled with it and don't use 'medicinals'......:)

OK, just kidding, but it seemed like the best answer I could come up with considering the criteria you gave.

I got nothing else, sorry friend. :scared:

:bad_boys_20:

Twisted Canuck
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
:bad_boys_20:

Good answer...!:)

artie
01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
For a few years my mom had health care workers come in to help her in the morning and evening. She could not have stayed in her home without this help. They always seemed to be training new workers so if you think you could work with the elderly check it out. I found most of the girls were great but the odd one was not so great. Also check out working in long term care centers. With our aging population we are going to need good care workers.
In the Crowsnest pass now probably the biggest employer of people is the hospital and long term care centre.

pikeslayer22
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Bass pro shop...one could never get sick of looking at all those awesome mounts!

rhuntley12
01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
as someone said peavey mart might be good or ufa. isn't a whole lot in high river

coop might be good too

doetracks
01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Any experience with bovines?

molly
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
For a few years my mom had health care workers come in to help her in the morning and evening. She could not have stayed in her home without this help. They always seemed to be training new workers so if you think you could work with the elderly check it out. I found most of the girls were great but the odd one was not so great. Also check out working in long term care centers. With our aging population we are going to need good care workers.
In the Crowsnest pass now probably the biggest employer of people is the hospital and long term care centre.
I have been pondering that as I do have an 82 year old Mom and the Hublet is right up there, but probably would like to avoid doing "personal care"...:)
I think sometimes they offer training as well.
Bass pro shop...one could never get sick of looking at all those awesome mounts!
Too far to drive, and I wouldn't be taking much of a paycheque home!
as someone said peavey mart might be good or ufa. isn't a whole lot in high river

coop might be good too
Like I said, for some reason I have not had luck with UFA. Applied at High River and at Claresholm. Even had a UFA manager help me revamp my resume! I likely can get on at the one in Pincher later as they seem to have staffing issues. High River is losing a lot of business to Okotoks...everyone shops at those darn big box stores (ourselves included).

Any experience with bovines?
We feed and calve out about 80 head here. I am still in learning mode but I love our cows...And our three bulls (Larry, Curly and Mo!). Are you thinking of working at a feed lot? Not sure I would like that, but they never advertise for PT, full time only. I thought if I ever got to work at UFA, I would like to learn how to be their beef person. I like auctions, too. Maybe the Hublet's nephew can get me on at S.A.L.E. in Fort Macleod when we move down there later!

See what I mean? Too many things that interest me!

Thanks for all these comments, folks! I really appreciate it. :)

dewalt18
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Have you thought about western feedlots? Or something similar? Keep in mind calfing season is coming up, hit up some of the bigger ranches in the area see if they need a hand. How about somewhere like Home hardware in okotoks or High River? Lutes Timber Mart? Lots of stuff out there, get creative!

Iron Brew
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Just throwing this out there, but why not look at working for yourself as a house cleaner? Good house cleaners are always hard to get, and probably over $20/hr.

By good house cleaner, I mean somebody who is reliable, who can look after details, and can work independently. Most importantly, somebody who is trustworthy.

pikeslayer22
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Ag sales person...Moody's high river?

molly
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Ag sales person...Moody's high river?

Not much knowledge of that...They are looking, but for experienced guys.

molly
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Just throwing this out there, but why not look at working for yourself as a house cleaner? Good house cleaners are always hard to get, and probably over $20/hr.

By good house cleaner, I mean somebody who is reliable, who can look after details, and can work independently. Most importantly, somebody who is trustworthy.

I pondered that briefly as there are a LOT of cleaning companies out there, even in Okotoks. They pay well, but I am trying to find something that I would enjoy, and I do not enjoy cleaning...It is a necessary evil! :)
Thank you, though!

pikeslayer22
01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Not much knowledge of that...They are looking, but for experienced guys.
Being an outgoing person with the gift of gab should be great assets! Could be right up your alley!

sewerrat
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Any Dairy farms in the area??, Milk in the morning or evenings feed some calves, become a heardsman, relief milking?

sourdough doug
01-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Let's face it, some people are not employable...:snapoutofit:

Strange
01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Try Joe Zinc at Colpitts Ranches in Springbank Alberta. He has a soft heart for sad cases. Knew a guy that worked there once. Doesn't pay much but it's in your range, it sounds like it's up your alley, and it's not all that far from you.

acedave3
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Since you have all the answers, why ask the question!!!!!
Start your own job placement agency out of your house.

molly
01-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Let's face it, some people are not employable...:snapoutofit:

True enough. Someday, I hope to be my own boss...:)

Thanks for that! If I start a thread, I like to "answer" the posts people put up. I have liked some of the ideas, others not so much, but my intent was to get some suggestions, and those I got.
Thanks again for everyone who contributed and sent PMs. :)

nekred
01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Ok I am going to say it... You are very picky for someone that needs the work, every single suggestion thrown out here you have given an EXCUSE... too far, not interested, can't do that, etc. etc. etc.

You make assumptions, ag sales person is mentioned you state they are looking for experienced guys.... not really how do people get experience? You have a farm you know what is needed for equipment...

I have seen people who make all these excuses and it is usually because some outside pressure is being applied to get a job.

... i will not say anything further....

Reeves1
01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Can you dance ?

:evilgrin:

molly
01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Ok I am going to say it... You are very picky for someone that needs the work, every single suggestion thrown out here you have given an EXCUSE... too far, not interested, can't do that, etc. etc. etc.

You make assumptions, ag sales person is mentioned you state they are looking for experienced guys.... not really how do people get experience? You have a farm you know what is needed for equipment...

I have seen people who make all these excuses and it is usually because some outside pressure is being applied to get a job.

... i will not say anything further....

OK! I am picky! Sorry!! But I always felt that a happy employee is one who actually has some interest in the job they are doing! If you re-read this thread, you will see that I have not given excuses for "everything". I have made a note of a few that have potential.
I am sorry that I do not want to sell heavy equipment. I cannot even drive a tractor. And, no, there is no "outside pressure" being applied. "Inside pressure" only.
Thanks, though, for your comments.

molly
01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Can you dance ?

:evilgrin:

Not very well, but I can do this!! :oregonian_winesmile

And this!!

:1041:

Iron Brew
01-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Sometimes you take a job and work hard at it as a step to another job. Not because you like it...

Redfrog
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Ever work on a rig?:)

gitrdun
01-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Molly, have you tried Sears' Ranches, they're pretty close to you. What about starting your own little janitorial business, cleaning business offices in the evenings. Hayden's, the Esso, FasGas, the restaurants, the post office, Legacy Oil & Gas, etc. Start up cost for such is quite low, a few cleaning supplies is about it. :)

And if my wife ever refers to me as "hublet"....we're gonna have a talk...lol. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Reeves1
01-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Not very well, but I can do this!! :oregonian_winesmile

So, you like to kick back & watch ? :innocent:

bigbadbrown
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
The retirement home in nanton may be a place to try.

Selkirk
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
. . . I can do this!! :oregonian_winesmile

And this!!

:1041:

Make sure you include that ^ in your resume.

TF :lol:

gitrdun
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM

As a resident?.....:scared0018: :):):):):)

molly
01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Ever work on a rig?:)

Nope. Do I want to? Nope. :)

So, you like to kick back & watch ? :innocent:

That depends...:evilgrin:
Make sure you include that ^ in your resume.
TF :lol:

If you think it will help! :)

As a resident?.....:scared0018: :):):):):)

Do they have all-day happy hour? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

kritofr
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM

X2

Why not find something that will stop the bills from accumulating and then find something as it presents itself that suits your wants and your needs?

There are lots of jobs out there some are not so glamorous but pay well others are cool but don't pay. Sounds like you need something? Everyone here has given lots of great ideas. There is a reason why it is called work and not fun....

Good luck with your search, hope you find something soon