PDA

View Full Version : Eligable for parol in 5 years.... disgusting

Dakota369
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/14/teen-who-stabbed-girlfriend-104-times-gets-life-sentence

So....... what part of eligible for parole after 5 years makes this a life sentence???

:sign0176::sign0176:

The poor girl he killed definitly got a life sentence as did her family and friends......

When are we going to get a Justice system................

:angry3:

Cyclops
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
When are we going to get a Justice system................

Never. :rolleye2:

CaberTosser
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
So I guess it must be somewhere over 104 stab wounds for a homicide to be considered first degree murder? Its likely over 150, because we want the judiciary to feel comfortable that he really meant to do it before they go and convict him; they have to be able to sleep at night after all. :rolleyes:

brendan's dad
01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I believe our justice system definitely needs more teeth but this sentence is a step in the right direction.

First off it is very difficult to get a youth deemed an adult for trial and sentence purposes even at the age of 16

And

If he did 2 years per-trial custody calculated at double time as with most remand time that means he is not eligible for parole for 9 years.

And

He is only eligible for parole at 9 years which he must apply for. Most sentence have a statutory release date at 2/3 the sentence but not life in prison

And

He is parole for the rest of his life. At anytime in the remainder of his life he can violate on his parole and sent back to jail without a trial or conviction

And finally

Lots of these charges get dealt down to manslaughter, so to have a youth get a sentence like this is fairly significant.

brendan's dad
01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
If he would have been sentenced as a youth the longest sentence he could have received would be 7 years.... Now that is pathetic.

Okotokian
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
"When he left the courtroom after sentencing, Skeete reportedly said "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system.""

If I'd been the judge I'd have called him back into the court and said "I was doing you a favour son, but I guess I misjudged you. How's 20 years without parole. Want to go for 30?" We can only hope for a repeat performance in front of the parole board when that day arrives.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
He must be really broke. Only the upper middle class see to actually get punished, and the super rich buy their way out.

Rocky7
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
When are we going to get a Justice system.............

When it becomes important enough to more people and we demand it.

When more voters accept the responsibility to become informed and the responsibility to become involved.

Not a moment sooner.

sns2
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
As good an argument for the reinstatement of capital punishment in Canada as there ever will be. To be really effective it needs to be carried out immediately after sentencing, and publicly. Waiting fifteen years on death row is a waste of time. For consequences to be effective they must be immediate.

It would still be too good for this scumbag.

CaberTosser
01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
As good an argument for the reinstatement of capital punishment in Canada as there ever will be. To be really effective it needs to be carried out immediately after sentencing, and publicly. Waiting fifteen years on death row is a waste of time. For consequences to be effective they must be immediate.

Agreed. Even the US doesn't have it right, note the very recent articles in the news about the Canadian fellow who's been on death row in Montana for 30 years for killing two people. He's been disappointed by a heck of a lot of outgoing Governors who didn't extend him the pardons within their power on their last days in office. That was the nature of an article within this past week. So long as the convictions are on strong evidence, shove the convicts out the courtroom door and enact the sentence within 30 days, just so they have a bit of time to squirm.

Ryry4
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Hang him the court house lawn. There's no way he should still be drawing breath.

caver77
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM
X2!

rugatika
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Uhh...Ban high capacity mags. Demand a plan!

As long as people keep voting in soft on crime lefties this is what we'll get.

Redfrog
01-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I can't believe the legal system is still so screwy after all the moaning about these cases here on AO.:thinking-006:

Doesn't anyone hear us? Or maybe they don't care?

Cyclops
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
There's no way he should still be drawing breath.

He'd be wishing he wasn't if that was my daughter he had murdered.

zabbo
01-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I would gladly parole this nice young man.......just after he was hanged. :)