PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Trip Advice Please

adogwiththumbs
01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
My wife and I were discussing the possibility of going on a fishing trip on the west coast this spring. I would have to be back by May 1. So my question is, is going in April worth the time and expense? Will be hiring a boat,any recommendations for that time of year? Any advice appreciated,let er fly!

Mike_W
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Likely not the best salmon fishing maybe halibut and rockfish tho.

Give Mike Kelly a call from tides and tales in Port Hardy I believe he charters all year.

Walleyes
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Like mike said not the time of year for salmon, but halibut fishing will be good. Personally I would stay away from the west coast or the north that time of year, still pretty wet and windy. Stick around the South Island, Victoria area has some awesome Hali fishing that time of year and the weather will be much nicer for you.

PM me if your interested I can give you a number for a top,rod in the area.

Wild&Free
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Weather on the coast that time of the year is kinda unpredictable. Salmon fishing will be slow with just resident fish in the area. Bottom fishing will be good though, if the weather allows.

Make sure you talk to your guide about their weather policy (if one exists) before booking.

Serengeti Charters
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
April is not the best fishing, especially for salmon. There are bottomfish and halibut around, but the key deterent from them is the weather. April can be pretty darn snotty out there with the weather and waves. Are some bottomfish to be had, but Lingcod are closed in some areas until May as well.

davegrant
01-16-2013, 06:38 AM
The sturgeon in the Fraser are going strong April/May and you can throw in a day of bass fishing on the island not to far away.

Search GUIDEBC for sturgeon and BC BASS for the bass.

A 7ft sturgeon, 6lb largemouth, 4lb smallie sounds like a good trip to me !!!!

lattery1
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I have made 4 April trips to Uclulet with Matt Olcen at West Coast Fish.
Only 1 trip that we had terrible luck with the Chinooks. Caught only 1 20 pounder that trip, but on the flip side we caught our limit of halis and bottom fish. Most years we are limited out on the salmon on the first day then out for bottom fish the next 2 days. Weather however can be pretty wild and I usually end up chumming the fish at least one day. Even Gravol cant overcome large waves and the after effects of too much whiskey :).