PDA

View Full Version : Fish 7 camera... opinions?

the pilot cock
01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
up until last Saturday when I went out fishing with another forum member, I had always regarded underwater cameras as amusing fishing bling but really just one more thing to haul out across the ice and of no real strategic value. Then I watched the guy I was with pull 3 fish out for every one that I caught (and I think that ratio is even a little understated). So now I've gotta get one...
Problem is, my budget is currently so tight it squeaks. I've got some gift cards for Wholesale Sports from Christmas but the only camera that is in my price range is the Fish 7. Now I realize that for less than $200 it's not going to be the greatest piece of kit ever so please don't overwhelm me with stories of how awesome you're $1200 one is. All I want to know about are tragic flaws... the deal breakers. Has anyone owned one and found that it is a genuine P.O.S or will it do what I want it to do. I usually go for Pike or Walleye and now getting into perch and whitefish in less than 20 ft of water.
I also am aware that it's not a color display, but I have a really good imagination and know what color most of the fish are. I also think we live in a world that puts far too much emphasis on color....:)
At any rate, any advice you could give would be swell as I plan on buying it before Saturday unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

WayneChristie
01-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I had a 5 and was happy with it. just remember if the cord freezes into the ice not to try and pull it out, you will nick the cable and water will eventually seep into the camera and ruin it. yup thats experience talking.

Zip-in-Z
01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
If you have a tight budget .... check here on occasion.

Zip ... http://alberta.kijiji.ca/f-ice-fishing-camera-Classifieds-W0QQKeywordZiceQ20fishingQ20cameraQQisProvinceSear chZtrueQQisSearchFormZtrue

Perchfisher
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
My son and I have both got the Fish TV 7 and have had no problems at all with them. Mine is 3 years old his is 2. I know that there are better cameras out there but these do all we need when fishing in 20 to 30 feet of water. You may see further with a better camera but I;m only interested in the ones that are on my hook so the distance don;t mean much.

thorne
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Let me put it this way. The Fish TV 7 will give you better preformance then the first generation camera I paid 3X as much for when they first starting comming out years ago.

some guy
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
I just bought my second 5 inch version (I have 2 now so I don't have to share) and the only flaw is the battery is not the right size for the pocket that is on the case. It will sit in the pocket but I can't do the zipper up. I have two batteries that do fit so it wasn't a deal breaker. I think you can buy the proper size battery for another $20 or so.
I also bought the plastic tripod and found that the camera cable slides in the rubber holder. A piece of hockey tape fixed that.
I went with the 5 because I didn't want 100 feet of cable, I don't need to record video and it's small enough to carry from hole to hole.
....And it's $40 cheaper.

angrybeaver
01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
It all depends on where you fish. I used a Fish TV 7 on trout ponds and no go, not even in 8 fow. The water needs to be gin clear and minimal snow coverage above the ice for light. Remember you can't use the light underwater according to the regs. You may also want to purchase a tripod that spins your camera so you can find your hook (about $70). In the trout ponds, I was lucky to see 6 inches to a foot once I got down to the depth I was fishing at. It was great just under the ice though...

I mainly fish for trout, so I missed more bites while trying to set up the camera than if I were just sitting there concentrating on the action. Just my opinion. It sounds like you are going to the types of lakes and targeting the types of fish that the camera are good for (pike, perch, walleyes). I agree with the other poster, try buying a used one first to see if it is what you expected. I already sold mine off...sorry.

Kim473
01-16-2013, 04:15 AM
I would wait and save a little, buy a marcum b&w. A little more money much better.

Dale S
01-16-2013, 05:36 AM
I've had good luck with my FishTV7. If you want to save $70 on a tripod panner.I rigged up a cheap fraball ice fishing rig. I took off the flag and put a couple of notches on the spool for holding the cable.Works good.

Willowtrail
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I had the fishtv7 and got rid of it after two trips. Its good in clear shallow water. The Marcum camera is much more superior. If you can hold off and get the better unit you'll be happier in the long run.

Nelly
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Save and get a Marcum. I have the Marcum VS380 it has a great clarity. I can see my wire worm from 8' away. I really hate paying twice for something!