PDA

View Full Version : alberta walleye

theBUCKANATOR
01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
do you think albertan fishers should be able to keep walleye throughout albert, not just select spots, of course it would all be under rules and regulated bag limits ect.:argue2:

Stupid Deep
01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
You're in the wrong section. Also, i said no because the bag limits are there for a reason. Walleye might be abundant in certain watersheds but in others they can be hard to find. Why kill them off in some watersheds just so you can have a tasty meal. Might not be able to find them anywhere in Alberta if those were the laws.

theBUCKANATOR
01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
it clearly says that their wold be rules ect.
you wouldnt be killing them off for no good reason, wouldnt be killing them off at all...
:snapoutofit:

theBUCKANATOR
01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
you wouldnt be killing them off for no good reason, wouldnt be killing them off at all...
:snapoutofit:

also this isnt a "so i can get a tasty meal", its just a survey that i have to do for school

HunterDave
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
If you didn't have special regulations such as draws for keeping a limited amount of walleye, or a no keep limit, many lakes would get fished out and simply collapse. Lac Ste Anne, Lac Lanonne and Isle Lake only opened on a draw system two years ago because they had recovered enough to allow it. Prior to that, they were closed to keeping walleye because so many were taken out that there were hardly any Walleye left. Luckily the populations recovered but if the lakes hadn't been closed the entire fishery likely would have disappeared.

Every lake needs to be constantly monitored individually to see how the walleye population is doing and regulations can then be adjusted accordingly. If all lakes would open to keep limits without regard to the walleye population serious harm could come to them.

walking buffalo
01-14-2013, 11:34 PM
also this isnt a "so i can get a tasty meal", its just a survey that i have to do for school

The school made you ask this survey question on AO? :snapoutofit:

:lol:

waterninja
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
you might want to add to your school report that walleye seem to be the most caught fish on the nsr and it is 0 possesion limit. not sure if there was a problem with low numbers in the past and now they have rebounded but it might be worth looking into.
p.s. your on the wrong site. mod's will move you.

Hunter Trav
01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

I knew they weren't teaching kids how to read in school anymore...:lol:

Okotokian
01-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Well in bodies of water with very low populations I would imagine the "rules" would be a zero limit, so I couldn't see a system where you could take them anywhere in the province regardless of the population in the particular body of water. So I voted "no".

I think you will find most fishermen are reasonable and will not demand to take fish in bodies of water where there are few to take.

Zip-in-Z
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
The walleye in Sylvan are recovering nicely, open it up & it wouldn't take long to over harvest this lake if everyone took one or two home.

Bad idea ....

Zip

huntsfurfish
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome to AO.

Well said hunterdave.

And theBUCKANATOR you will find that several on here(AO) will be many grades below you.:) But dont let that deter you.

Geezle
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
you might want to add to your school report that walleye seem to be the most caught fish on the nsr and it is 0 possesion limit. not sure if there was a problem with low numbers in the past and now they have rebounded but it might be worth looking into.

How much pressure do you think the NSR would receive if walleye were open to retention?

AppleJax
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
How much pressure do you think the NSR would receive if walleye were open to retention?
It would be fished out in a matter of 1-2 seasons I reckon. Best kept closed, or open a tag system.

waterninja
01-15-2013, 10:05 AM
i'm not suggesting they open up the nsr for retention. i,m suggesting that if there were low numbers before o posession that in this case it's working out well for walleye repopulation.

keep6matt
01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Tag system works great and is a well managed tech. I strongly believe what is doing the most harm is commercial netting as a net is not prejudice to any gamefish, netting whites also catches many other species which includes alot of walleye. I say stop netting altogether and alot of the problem is solved. Another problem is the lack of forage in all the Alberta lakes...start planting perch in all the lakes instead of walleye and that would support a healthy population of walleye and pike. Keep the perch limits down until there is a healthy balance of predators vs prey otherwise you will result in a Pigeon Lake/Calling Lake collapse as seen over the years. In my humble opinion, nets and excessive limits of forage do the most damage to lakes. Wish the biologists would notice the obvious!!

JohninAB
01-15-2013, 10:12 AM
I am fine with the way the regs are now so I voted no.

Jamie Black R/T
01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I am fine with the way the regs are now so I voted no.

x2

voted no.

collapsed lakes are NO fun.

Wild&Free
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
do you think albertan fishers should be able to keep walleye throughout albert, not just select spots, of course it would all be under rules and regulated bag limits ect.:argue2:

Considering that Albertan fishers can already keep Walleye province wide, in accordance to the rules and regulations and bag limits I find this poll to be irrelevant and impotent in gathering useful information.

I voted no opinion.

GregT
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
i think the draw system is fantastic. more anglers than gamefish so limitations seem a necessity. the draw system seems to work alright managing big game populations.

EZM
01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Simple answer is NO.

There is no reasonable way to effectively (or intelligently) apply a province wide regulation for walleye given the limited resources, high fishing pressure and difficult recovery track records for walleye.

Furthermore, each watershed has it's own characteristics which require careful study, planning and monitoring in order to ensure walleye sustainability.

I simply can't see this working and find no compelling (intelligent and fact based) argument to support otherwise.

fish gunner
01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I voted no , as I believe the resource needs to be protected from over harvest. If attitudes of exploitation could be replaced with an educated protective resource mindset ,we could sustain a limited province wide harvest. An hour's drive right now will give most Albertans access to harvestable walleye waters.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Ill be honest here , I voted no , but I do be think that retention helps , bringing back a healthy population . You can stock all you want but need to protect the breeding stock . I look at central , Alberta and compare that to the south and wonder what the heck they are doing wrong . Some of them resivours in the south , where you can take home 3 nice walleye . Maybe the pressure isn't as bad , maybe better bioligysts , who knows . Just makes a person wonder .

HunterDave
01-15-2013, 06:52 PM

:)

mapleleafman3
01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I wonder if fisheries eve thought of slot limits? I have seen them on lakes in Minnesota. It seems to work well down there but of course they have the perch and panfish to feed the eyes.

thoughts?

pickrel pat
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Good luck with your school report young fellar!

Gust
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
You know what would be nifty? If each LICENSED angler was issued a one per month voucher to retain one 45 cm walleye per month per year from a non retention lake. The voucher could neither be reprinted or used during another month. Non-transferable nor used during specific spawn periods or at lakes where retention is allowed.

Thoughts.

I wouldnt get a voucher because I dont target walleye.

theBUCKANATOR
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
It would be fished out in a matter of 1-2 seasons I reckon. Best kept closed, or open a tag system.

if it were regulated and put under tags then it would lessen the impact, i get that it would be over fished if it was a 1 or t2 bag limit a person, and as far as my school MAKING me post this here, they didn't, I choose to put it on here because wich do you think will get better feedback- posting it an the AO- where people fish and have fishing knowledge, or twitter- where most answers could be from people who dont even know how to hold a rod the right way?
:thinking-006:

BuckCuller
01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
I said no because Alberta has to few lakes and to high of a population due to the O'l mighty dollar. Opening it up would be the end of many recovering walleye populations.

HunterDave
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I choose to put it on here because wich do you think will get better feedback- posting it an the AO- where people fish and have fishing knowledge, or twitter- where most answers could be from people who dont even know how to hold a rod the right way?
:thinking-006:

Based on the results of the poll with 35% choosing to open up all of the walleye lakes to keep limits I think that you would have been better off posting on twitter.

One third of the respondents either don't understand the ramifications of opening up all of the lakes province wide to keep limits or they just don't care. I'd give Lac Ste Anne and Lac Lanonne two years max and they'd both be fished out.......totally collapsed.

theBUCKANATOR
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
this is why I dint make the names shown , everbody hating on the yes answers,

BeeGuy
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Ill be honest here , I voted no , but I do be think that retention helps , bringing back a healthy population . You can stock all you want but need to protect the breeding stock . I look at central , Alberta and compare that to the south and wonder what the heck they are doing wrong . Some of them resivours in the south , where you can take home 3 nice walleye . Maybe the pressure isn't as bad , maybe better bioligysts , who knows . Just makes a person wonder .

Really?

Hey Buckanator,

What grade are you in?

Looks like your survey got a good number of responses.

theBUCKANATOR
01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
posted that message

highschool

BeeGuy
01-16-2013, 06:06 PM
posted that message

highschool

I know you didn't.

Do you have to write a report based on the survey?

theBUCKANATOR
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
yes

Who Da Fisherman
01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Based on the results of the poll with 35% choosing to open up all of the walleye lakes to keep limits I think that you would have been better off posting on twitter.

One third of the respondents either don't understand the ramifications of opening up all of the lakes province wide to keep limits or they just don't care. I'd give Lac Ste Anne and Lac Lanonne two years max and they'd both be fished out.......totally collapsed.

The pole needed more choices.
I voted yes but will add that all lakes need to be regulated, so not EVERY lake should be open. There are are some lakes that have 0 limit but have very healthy populations. Case in point is Pine lake, 3yrs back we could go out in an evening, go through 2 tubs of minnows in an hour and half catching 50 plus eyes and up to 6lbs. The perch in the lake got totally decimated, now after winter kill and blue algae back to restart with hardly any perch and no one got to eat any of the eyes.

slimjim
01-16-2013, 09:53 PM
We have to have a tag system, where do you think the MLAs get their pension money. The money from tags goes into general revenue, not into fish stocking or management.

fishermansfriend
01-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Wondering why there are so many arrogant responses.. Wish i could said id like to meet all the members on here but i have to say sadly that there are a lot of douche bags on here...

Id love to keep some walleye however i would some what fear that the resource would get destroyed.

HunterDave
01-16-2013, 11:10 PM
The pole needed more choices.
I voted yes but will add that all lakes need to be regulated, so not EVERY lake should be open.

Then ya shoulda voted no. The question asked, "Should Alberta anglers be allowed to keep walleye province wide?" That to me means opening every walleye lake to a keep limit......no tags, etc. It'd be a free for all for the first year and then there'd be no fish left.

theBUCKANATOR
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Then ya shoulda voted no. The question asked, "Should Alberta anglers be allowed to keep walleye province wide?" That to me means opening every walleye lake to a keep limit......no tags, etc. It'd be a free for all for the first year and then there'd be no fish left.

In the part of rules ect. I had a tag system in mind, I never said, everyone keep everywere, just keep everywere anyways projects handed in:)
\ i couldnt speek my full opinion as teacher would say the poll was then bias (BS) . glad to see so many voters though, just as a "so you know"- about 60% is were the NO answers hover around and the 30% for yes
they pretty much stayed around their for both answers the whole pole